Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cherry Hill Bar murders 1969

Some of you old-timers like me from the 6 Mile & Davison area might remember that 50 years ago this month, on January 11, 1969, in the Cherry Hill Bar at 4870 Davison Ave. just west of Six Mile between Fenlon & Healy Street, two robbers shot and killed the owner Cass Czerwinski and Police Officer Stan Rapaski. The Czerwinski family lived at 13496 Hasse and I was good friends with Cass Jr. and his sister Carol. Officer Rapaski lived at 13206 Moenart, just down the street from my house. Things like this didn’t happen in that neighborhood when I was growing up, everyone was shocked. With the 1967 riots still fresh in everyone’s mind and then this terrible crime the neighborhood emptied out to the safety of the suburbs real quick. My parents moved to Sterling Hts the next year. Here are some newspaper clippings.Name:  Cherry Hill a.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  125.4 KB

I remember it well. There was a guy who sold newspapers on the corner just two doors down from the bar. I knew a girl who was Mrs. Rapaski's hairdresser. Thanks for posting this.Cass Czerwinski was a pretty nice guy. Davsion was easy access for the "nogoodniks" from the west side. Did you know Gerard Kendzierzawski?
    Last edited by Stinger4me; January-01-19 at 01:43 PM.

I went to White Elementary with Gerard Kenra, 1955-61, he lived on Moenart a few houses off Rowley. It must be him with a shortened name?

https://www.odmp.org/officer/11008-p...tanley-rapaski

Should be in my memory, but I'm sorry to say I can't remember the event. Shame on me.

From this "FundRazr" page is seems that, as of September 2018, Robert heard Jr. is still in prison https://fundrazr.com/stopabuse?ref=a...HCX1ehjo0XJHCX

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    From this "FundRazr" page is seems that, as of September 2018, Robert heard Jr. is still in prison https://fundrazr.com/stopabuse?ref=a...HCX1ehjo0XJHCX
    Still is: Robert Heard, Jr

The other Gerard K------ went to Transfiguration and I think he attended a catholic high school. He lived on the west side of the street about three or four houses south of Luce.