Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Pretty Church 8501 Woodward

I've heard it got broken into was Abyssinian Church at one time. Is this Highland Park. It just looks like one of those nice buildings Detroit ought to preserve. It may not have any practical uses though.

Has anyone been inside ? Is there any views from the top floors?

the building has suffered a lot of damage from vandals, and there is a ton of water damage in the classroom wing & side common room. however the nave/main sanctuary are still well intact and in repairable condition. a few organ pipes missing but there is a lot that have been left behind. the views from floor 2 are not much to rave about, but there is an incredible sealed-off secret room at the very top, accessible only though the attic. this building is on the national register of historic places and was built in 1911. many photographs can be found online of its interior -- its main feature is the incredible curving wood balcony, which has prompted urban explorers and photographers to give it the designation "st. curvy".

a real shame what has happened here, and i'm hoping they seal it up or bring it back to life soon.
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; August-31-09 at 12:58 AM.

Gsgeorge:
    What is or was the purpose of the sealed off room...is it above the sanctuary?
    Bob

Ocean2026: This church is on Woodward, about 5 blocks north of Grand Boulevard. So it is in Detroit, not Highland Park.

I Googled the address of the church and found this on Wikipedia:
    The Woodward Avenue Presbyterian Church is a church in Detroit Michigan located at 8501 Woodward Avenue. Built in 1911 in the Gothic revival style, the architect was Sidney Badgley. It was used for some time as the Abyssinia Church of God in Christ. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

History

By 1908, the Presbyterians in Detroit recognized the need for a church to serve congregants located in what was then the "north" Woodward area. Mrs. Tracy McGregor donated a lot along Woodward, and the cornerstone for the church was laid on January 1, 1910. The church was dedicated on June 23 of the next year.
    Architecture

Woodward Avenue Presbyterian is an English Gothic-style church, faced with rough rock and trimmed with a contrasting limestone, and measuring 184 feet long by 104 feet wide. The Woodward Avenue facade boasts a massive carved-stone entrance with a traceried stained glass window set above; two square towers flank the center entrance. Along the side, gabled transepts contain full-height traceried windows. A two-story educational wing, built at the same time as the main chursh, abuts the rear.

Retroit Guest

One of many beautiful, irreplaceable churches in Detroit.

"God Did It."

lilpup Guest

Maybe God's trying to tell us to stop being so showy and materialistic in His name. One is supposed to be humble and not flaunt one's piety.

Yeah, I do wonder sometimes if today isn't just some karmic payback for the area's boom years.
    Last edited by lilpup; August-31-09 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks - I couldn't find any interior pictures online just the exterior and aerial shots. In my town we have an old house that everyone worships - there are even festivals. It is nothing compared to what Detroit has.

What is that neighborhood like? One would guess Woodward being a main street would have police patrolling it.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean2026 View Post

What is that neighborhood like? One would guess Woodward being a main street would have police patrolling it.

LOL!!!

This is Detroit, AKA the wild west.

Police?

What if there were crackheads sitting inside? Why would a law-abiding police officer risk his life over an old building?

Snark and sarcasim, my bad!

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Maybe God's trying to tell us to stop being so showy and materialistic in His name. One is supposed to be humble and not flaunt one's piety.

Yeah, I do wonder sometimes if today isn't just some karmic payback for the area's boom years.
    Spot on as God is kicking Detroit's flamboyant ass and not New York, Chicago, Boston! Don't forget about all those "showy" basilica's in Italy either. Sometimes the intellect here is absolutely amazing

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    Sometimes the intellect here is absolutely amazing
    So is the lack of it.

Is that Lake Superior Redstone?

Default Church at 8501 Woodward

For more about this attractive church, see:
    http://www.detroit1701.org/WoodwardAvePresbyterian.html