Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Qline Rough Ride

Is it just me or does the qline cars seem like they are going to vibrate apart? My God it's loud and vibrating right through your spine. I don't remember it being like this.

Last time I rode it was pretty smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor65 View Post
    Is it just me or does the qline cars seem like they are going to vibrate apart? My God it's loud and vibrating right through your spine. I don't remember it being like this.
    Maybe it had a low tire?

Smooth for me last time as well.

I have no point of reference, never been on it. I drive everywhere I go - I like to drive.

Thank you SoftailRider that was totally relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor65 View Post
    That doesn't sound right. I recall the ride being very smooth and quiet last time I rode. I would guess something must have been wrong with the car.

Quote Originally Posted by wazootyman View Post
    That doesn't sound right. I recall the ride being very smooth and quiet last time I rode. I would guess something must have been wrong with the car.
    Ice on the tracks maybe?

I ride frequently and it really varies by which train you're on. Some are smooth, others seem to have an issue that makes them rattle constantly. I know a week or so ago they actually had singes in the stations telling riders that several cars were undergoing repairs and wait times may be longer than usual. Hopefully the were fixing the rough riding.

By contract, on my trip to Toronto I was surprised by how much smoother their streetcars are than the Q Line! Even the smoothest ride I've had on the Q is rough compared to what TTC is rolling.

Not related to rough rides, but a public safety announcement...

A woman was struck by a train in front of LCA on New Years Eve. She exited an SUV on Woodward and walked into the closed [[coned off) train lane without looking, and was immediately struck by a train going probably 20 miles an hour. It appears that she survived...but for heavens sake, pay attention to your surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Ice on the tracks maybe?

Cyclists on the tracks maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post

A woman was struck by a train in front of LCA on New Years Eve. She exited an SUV on Woodward and walked into the closed [[coned off) train lane without looking, and was immediately struck by a train going probably 20 miles an hour. It appears that she survived...but for heavens sake, pay attention to your surroundings.
    It's not about paying attention to your surroundings, but not being a dumb azz. People are simply idiots these days. I'm sure this bright one will file a Lawsuit I hope she loses.

Quote Originally Posted by ASilvaman View Post
    It's not about paying attention to your surroundings, but not being a dumb azz. People are simply idiots these days. I'm sure this bright one will file a Lawsuit I hope she loses.
    Totally uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by ASilvaman View Post
    Agree. People are SOO OBLIVIOUS nowadays! Watch idiots cross streets all the time without giving so much as a glance to oncoming traffic! Get off your phone and use your head!!!

Just a suspicion, but i'm curious why QLine chose to go with a relatively inexperienced train manufacturer rather than a proven one such as Bombardier [[besides not being 'America first')? With that said, it's normal for streetcars/trams to be very loud and rough feeling.
    Last edited by casscorridor; January-02-19 at 07:38 AM.

Bit of a thread jack, I can't believe you can talk on a cellphone while driving in Mich. Word of warning: Don't do it in Windsor. It's now a fine of $615-1,000 for a 1st offence, plus 3 demerit points in Ontario.

Yeah, this happened pre-1956 and will continue to happen post-2017. It would've happened even if the tram was place down the middle.

Her face was probably planted in her cell phone, as others suggest. I've seen people walk into all kinds of things while on their phones. I don't get it, _hit ain't that important, that I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Yeah, this happened pre-1956 and will continue to happen post-2017. It would've happened even if the tram was place down the middle.
    It most certainly would not have happened if the car had not unloaded people where there were cones set up. Had it pulled ahead 100 feet and made a right turn onto the service drive there would have been no train to get hit by. I'm sure the lady would have preferred a 30 second longer walk to getting hit by a train. It was a 100% avoidable situation.

I'm still not a huge fan of the qLine. Here's what I would change:

- Make it center-run, not on the shoulders, the entire length
    - Have it go further north [[at least to 12 mile)
    - In the suburbs add commuter lots so suburban folks can park and go to work downtown
    - Give it signal priority
    - Give the qLine and buses a dedicated lane
    - Have the station TV's that display the next arrival time actually be accurate [[right now there is no link between the estimated arrival times and reality)

For me the biggest drawbacks is that it doesn't take me anywhere that isn't well within walking distance from my workplace and it's too darn slow.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post

- In the suburbs add commuter lots so suburban folks can park and go to work downtown
    - Have the station TV's that display the next arrival time actually be accurate [[right now there is no link between the estimated arrival times and reality)

For me the biggest drawbacks is that it doesn't take me anywhere that isn't well within walking distance from my workplace and it's too darn slow.
    I would say none of your suggestions are baseless or not known. HOWEVER, streetcar/trams are NOT meant to be used for long distance suburban commuting purposes. They simply aren't. Toronto's streetcars aren't carrying commuters from Oakville to Queen St. W. They are purely for urban commuting purposes which is more measured in time than distance.

Blow it up and salt the earth

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post

I don't think an extension to Royal Oak is too much of a stretch. Besides a couple miles in Highland Park the route is very dense connecting many points. I would like to see extensions down Michigan Ave and Jefferson first though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Her face was probably planted in her cell phone, as others suggest. I've seen people walk into all kinds of things while on their phones. I don't get it, _hit ain't that important, that I can't wait.
    My motivation for not reading my phone in traffic is that, if I get killed, my wife will put "he deserved it" on my headstone.

I don't think the Qline will get a ton of traffic in 2019

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast