Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Dan Gilbert Development next to renaissance center

does anyone know about the possible Dan Gilbert development next to the renaissance center, I know a concept rendering was including in the Amazon bid

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/2016/12/16/gm-gilbert/95527588/

Name:  Amazon bid_RESrivereast_igg.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  212.6 KB

Perhaps this is what you're thinking of: https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...oit-riverfront

Strange that the street boundaries they give for this development includes the Stone Soap Building however there is no mention of the supposed condo development going on there.

To be clear, that article you linked to is from literally two years ago. Are you asking if there is an update on it? In any case, Gilbert is pretty busy now with some huge projects nearby.

Last thing that was out there for news on this was that GM & Bedrock were still negotiating on the usage and programming of the development. But with GM closing plants and downsizing in anticipation of a downturn, I'm not sure how this is going to progress. It may still move forward due to Bedrock being involved but this one might be on the back burner with all of Gilbert's other developments going on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Last thing that was out there for news on this was that GM & Bedrock were still negotiating on the usage and programming of the development. But with GM closing plants and downsizing in anticipation of a downturn, I'm not sure how this is going to progress. It may still move forward due to Bedrock being involved but this one might be on the back burner with all of Gilbert's other developments going on right now.
    Exactly. Gilbert now has plenty of real estate to work with, and the site near the Ren Cen is not the highest on that list. After the Monroe Blocks, I would guess the fail jail site is probably next on Gilbert's list.

How quickly Bedrock gets to the Riverfront sites is likely a function of demand. More demand equals more building, and moving down that list quicker. Truthfully I don't expect much from the Riverfront properties for quite some time. It is too far down the list. I think between the fail jail site, and the soon to be vacated Wayne County corrections properties, Gilbert will have his hands full in other areas closer to the CBD for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Exactly. Gilbert now has plenty of real estate to work with, and the site near the Ren Cen is not the highest on that list. After the Monroe Blocks, I would guess the fail jail site is probably next on Gilbert's list.

How quickly Bedrock gets to the Riverfront sites is likely a function of demand. More demand equals more building, and moving down that list quicker. Truthfully I don't expect much from the Riverfront properties for quite some time. It is too far down the list. I think between the fail jail site, and the soon to be vacated Wayne County corrections properties, Gilbert will have his hands full in other areas closer to the CBD for quite a while.
    I don't expect any plans for that section of the riverfront to be finalized until we know what is happening with 375. Some of the proposed plans for 375 include a boulevard style surface street that continues past Jefferson to Atwater. If that is built, it will change how those blocks are developed.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    I don't expect any plans for that section of the riverfront to be finalized until we know what is happening with 375. Some of the proposed plans for 375 include a boulevard style surface street that continues past Jefferson to Atwater. If that is built, it will change how those blocks are developed.
    I agree, though short of an Amazon or other large corporate relocation, I think Gilbert and crew hold the riverfront sites idle for future development. No sense in building another Orleans Landing style development now, when something much bigger could be supported by the market 5 years down the road. I hate saying it, because it is a play right from the Illitch handbook. But in this case, because Gilbert does follow through, I am ok with it.