Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    What does that even mean?

Like I said, being combative and logical fallacies doesn't help whatever point you're trying to make.
    Detroit, Warren, and the region are trying to move on while people like you are fighting the battles of the past. Clearly there are plenty of Black former Detroiters moving to Warren that don’t share your negative sentiments.

I really wish there was no imaginary wall at 8 Mile Road.

Sort of like how everyone says visit Greenfield Village
    when you come to Detroit - which is actually over in
    20900 Oakwood Boulevard, @ Village Road in Dearborn,MI

or

When you come to Detroit go to the The Hamtramck Music Festival
    http://2018.hamtramckmusicfest.com/w...18-HMF-MAP.pdf

or go across the river to Windsor , etc., etc., etc.

Of course people could always "Google" Detroit for the detroit news......
    Last edited by O3H; December-28-18 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    ...Detroit, Warren, and the region are trying to move on while people like you are fighting the battles of the past...
    Yeah, I still don't know what you're talking about.

All I did was give an honest critique of Warren. If you disagree with anything I said about Warren, just say so and explain what facts you think I got wrong.

Otherwise, please spare me from your whataboutisms and combative replies.

Yeah, I still don't know what you're talking about.

All I did was give an honest critique of Warren. If you disagree with anything I said about Warren, just say so and explain what facts you think I got wrong.

Otherwise, please spare me from your whataboutisms and combative replies.
    People like you and Jim Fouts deserve each other. Everyone else is moving forward into the 21st Century.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    People like you and Jim Fouts deserve each other...
    Now that's just crazy talk and quite frankly insulting, lol.

Thay guy is easily in my top 5 list of the worst people. While I don't wish ill will on anyone, I can't say I'll have anything positive to say about Fouts when he's gone, and Warren will be that much better of a place to live/work/play when he does go.

Now that's just crazy talk, lol.

Thay guy is easily in my top 5 list of the worst people. While I don't wish ill will on anyone, I can't say I'll have anything positive to say about Fouts when he's gone, and Warren will be that much better of a place to live/work/play when he does go.
    I’m glad we can agree on something and that you have a sense of humor. Well played!

When the mayor leaves Warren, I'm a bit apprehensive
    about what the vacuum might suck into it.
    Spineless, fence sitting, wishy washy , politicians please stay away
    I prefer a human [[with faults) that stands on their own two feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Nonsense. If Detroit "did nothing" during the urban renewal era, it would be 10x the city. Instead, it got busy tearing out the urban core and replacing with freeways, parking lots, suburban garden apartments and empty space. The urban fabric is almost entirely gone.

And Warren isn't "doing something". They're building a strip mall, the same thing they've been doing for 60 years.
    Ah yes the old “mistakes have been made in the past so don’t do anything!” argument. Heard it before around here. It should be the State motto by now.

^^^The biggest understatement ever, especially given those recording of him. And the fact that people in that city tolerate such behavior quite frankly says a lot about their character [[or lack thereof).

Since when does Warren have rail transit?

Anyone getting offended or upset about criticism of Warren needs to get over thmeselves and stop being such snowflakes.

It's an extremely basic city at best [[aging/small housing stock, limited assortment of retail, lack of walkability, lack of progressive leadership, schools that while decent are on a downward trajectory, endless abandoned manufacturing/warehouse factories, etc.) and the epitome of a city whose existence is owed entirely to mid-century white working class flight based mostly around racism against black people who had the nerve to move into *their* Detroit neighborhoods and attend *their* Detroit schools.

Hell, visit any random place in Warren and you'll hear nothing but derison about Detroit and those "Detroiters." Frankly, they're just getting back what they've put out there over the last 60 years of their existence [[from the so-called leaderships to the residents themselves) in terms of vitriol, self-segregation and the lack of cooperation with its big city neighbor to the detriment of the region's growth/success since the 1970s, especially now that lifestyle and culture it espoused once upon a time is no longer tolerated nor competitive in the 21st century.
    I'm aware that Warren has no train service, It was just a sentence about Fouts relating to city services. Nobody else seemed to have a problem with that except you.

The streets get cleaned in the summertime and plowed in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Ah yes the old “mistakes have been made in the past so don’t do anything!” argument. Heard it before around here. It should be the State motto by now.
    The irony is that this is exactly my point.

Mistakes have been made, and this Warren development is a continuation of such mistakes. There is no functional difference between this development and the last 60 years of sprawl. It's the same crap, repackaged.

Bham1982, not everyone can afford to live in a Birmingham which is nice for those who live there but to each, his own. Warren will do the best that it can to create for its residents a walkable downtown. It is not meant to compete with the superior level of shops and amenities that a Birmingham has. Every middle and lower class town aspires for a variety of residences, businesses, shopping and restaurants that primarily cater to its own residents. Who would go to posh shops and dining that they cannot afford? Who knows, it might just turn out ok. It worked for Lafayette Park.

A new downtown Warren will be a strip mall with a very large parking lot. It's not going to be a traditional organic downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitlife View Post
    ^ keep in mind the person you're responding to is an obsessive troll who doesn't even live in Birmingham or Michigan.
    Keep in mind the above poster is lying, about everything, and obviously nakedly projecting.

I live in Bham, a few blocks west of Woodward and north of 14. Any more info is none of your business. And it's irrelevent whether I live in Detroit or Timbuktu; facts are still facts.

^^^The biggest understatement ever, especially given those recording of him. And the fact that people in that city tolerate such behavior quite frankly says a lot about their character [[or lack thereof).

Since when does Warren have rail transit?

Anyone getting offended or upset about criticism of Warren needs to get over thmeselves and stop being such snowflakes.

It's an extremely basic city at best [[aging/small housing stock, limited assortment of retail, lack of walkability, lack of progressive leadership, schools that while decent are on a downward trajectory, endless abandoned manufacturing/warehouse factories, etc.) and the epitome of a city whose existence is owed entirely to mid-century white working class flight based mostly around racism against black people who had the nerve to move into *their* Detroit neighborhoods and attend *their* Detroit schools.

Hell, visit any random place in Warren and you'll hear nothing but derison about Detroit and those "Detroiters." Frankly, they're just getting back what they've put out there over the last 60 years of their existence [[from the so-called leaderships to the residents themselves) in terms of vitriol, self-segregation and the lack of cooperation with its big city neighbor to the detriment of the region's growth/success since the 1970s, especially now that lifestyle and culture it espoused once upon a time is no longer tolerated nor competitive in the 21st century.
    Putting Mayor Fouts aside, couldn’t you basically say the same things that you wrote about Livonia way to the west? I know Livonia is smaller and has less tax base, but to me it is also completely devoid of any type of charm, not walkable, no high end retail etc. It does have some nice affordable housing, good police and fire and other good city services. I have no idea who the mayor of Livonia is [[maybe that’s a good thing)

As far as visiting places in Warren and hearing noting but derision about Detroiters, I don’t think I’ve ever hear anything like that when I go to Tim Hortons on 8 Mile and Mound or the coney across the street or any other business I’ve been to there. I really don’t spend a whole lot of time in Warren, but I think what you wrote about that is full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Putting Mayor Fouts aside, couldn’t you basically say the same things that you wrote about Livonia way to the west? I know Livonia is smaller and has less tax base, but to me it is also completely devoid of any type of charm, not walkable, no high end retail etc. It does have some nice affordable housing, good police and fire and other good city services. I have no idea who the mayor of Livonia is [[maybe that’s a good thing)
    Livonia's pretty bad, but it does have a much better variety of retail/restaurants than Warren [[Dave & Busters, Kohl's, Bahama Breeze, Costco, Dick's, Laurel Park Place, etc.) and they don't seem to be reelecting a mayor that's a total nutjob. I'm also willing to bet the schools are ranked higher than Warren's.

And it only has a lower tax base because it doesn't have a Fortune 100 company's main tech center within its borders.

But in any event, this thread is about Warren, not Livonia.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-29-18 at 08:31 PM.

I've been to the old section of Warren a few times and I liked the feel of the neighborhood and the older brick homes. I could live there but probably would miss my friends, [[both pf them) and all I do in the City. As far as "racism" goes, I know people that have left Detroit areas and moved to Warren for affordability, schools, and safety. They tell me people are generally accepting and tolerant with the exception of the occasional bonehead. You have that everywhere though.

Historic old Warren is a bit of a joke, with little to see or preserve.
    I would have zero problem if it disappeared all together.
    Warren still to this day has DIRT streets in far too many neighborhoods.
    Neighborhoods without sidewalks , decaying sidestreets, etc., etc.
    It's 2019 going forward, it needs to have more of a 2050+ vision.
    The historic stuff belongs in a museum over in Cranbrook or Detroit.

The thread is about Warren not Detroit. LOL!!! The forum is supposed to be about Detroit not Warren. Its the discuss detroit section of Yes Detroit. Oh I needed a good laugh. I say if you got the money and want to build it, then build it. I welcome any construction work that may help employ me. I doubt the city of Warren is going to come critique your decision to redo the kitchen, or lack there of. That said, I still think people will jump in there cars to get across Van Dyke instead of walking across some bridge and back to get back to the car. Too many suburbanites who have never been out of suburbia let alone any major city. Just my off the top of my head opinion that I felt the urge to post.

What does Detroit actually own - places like Hamtramck, Dearborn, etc. ?

What is a Detroit city, and what is not ?

Does
    21500 Mound Rd. count as a Detroit Automotive Plant ?

Is Matty Maroun a Warren millionaire or Detroit millionaire with Central Transport ?
    Perhaps he is now the Delray king with just a ""district"" connotation

Last edited by O3H; December-30-18 at 02:52 PM.

DetroitYes covers Metro Detroit. While its focus is in Detroit proper, the development and improvements in Metro Detroit are of interest to most who visit this forum, IMHO. Threads are more specific but can reference the city or other burbs in a compare/contrast fashion. If the topic doesn't interest you, don't click on it.

As for the older architecture in Old Warren along Chicago Rd. and 13 Mile Rd., I think they have some charm and represent the income level and sophistication of the people who built them. This was a farm community for a long time. Most are not Victorian beauties like in Romeo or Brush Park. They fit the community fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitlife View Post
    ^ keep in mind the person you're responding to is an obsessive troll who doesn't even live in Birmingham or Michigan.
    I'm not the only one who peeped that out.......Park Slope, maybe, Williamsburg?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post

As far as visiting places in Warren and hearing noting but derision about Detroiters, I don’t think I’ve ever hear anything like that when I go to Tim Hortons on 8 Mile and Mound or the coney across the street or any other business I’ve been to there. I really don’t spend a whole lot of time in Warren, but I think what you wrote about that is full of shit.
    It was proposed by a lot of people that Livonia voted to end SMART BUS service because they didn't want too many Detroiters coming into their city to shop/work at the new Walmart on Plymouth Road that replaced Wonderland Mall.

This eliminated several useful bus routes, including 2 Park & Ride bus routes and the Middlebelt bus that went all the way from West Bloomfield to the Airport.

So DDOT had to step up and extend the Plymouth Bus route all the way out to Middlebelt so that Detroiters who worked there, but didn't have their own means of transportation, could get to their job.
    Last edited by masterblaster; December-30-18 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Historic old Warren is a bit of a joke, with little to see or preserve.
    I would have zero problem if it disappeared all together.
    Warren still to this day has DIRT streets in far too many neighborhoods.
    Neighborhoods without sidewalks , decaying sidestreets, etc., etc.
    It's 2019 going forward, it needs to have more of a 2050+ vision.
    The historic stuff belongs in a museum over in Cranbrook or Detroit.
    I don't understand this mentality at all.

There is enough there, at the intersection of Chicago and Mound, to really create a unique downtown, instead of trying to develop one from scratch. You already have that great brewery right there. You have some classic architecture there as well.

And you have that river, Red Run. Maybe Warren could buy up some of the properties along that river and make a nice park/trail out of it. A nice riverwalk/park adjacent to the "downtown" would make it even more of a place to hang out.

Just take those buildings from the proposed downtown and infill them between the existing buildings in the old downtown, and you might have something that is more authentic and has some history and sense of place.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast