Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I'm not the only one who peeped that out.......Park Slope, maybe, Williamsburg?
    He's not from Park Slope. This should prove it. Follow the thread. And not Williamsburg either. Nor any part of NY. He visited. And if he stayed, it wasn't for long.

I hesitated before I wrote because I kinda wanted to see who else believes this.

I, for one, believe he's from where he says he is. He sure seems like it.
    Last edited by bust; December-30-18 at 11:18 PM.

Warren has an archaic Open Channel StormDrain/Sewage Ditch.
    There are zero fish in it, and it's an ugly geographic scar on the area.
    Warren does NOT have water front property that is of any value

Oakland County covered up ""their"" ditch with a large park, a sprawling golf course and even a soccer field, while Macomb never bothered to advance/evolve forward and left a 100ft wide x 30ft deep gash , with really steep embankments for the drainage muck running through it.

Building on a FLOOD PLAIN is always a real piss poor choice, eh ?
    Red Run has crested its banks a few times over the years .

Just move mouse over image, hit the Right Click button :
    --choose "Open Image in a New Tab"
    You'll be able to see the whole big image for more detail, with browser tab
    Last edited by O3H; December-31-18 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I, for one, believe he's from where he says he is. He sure seems like it.
    Not sure why people care where I currently [[or used to live). I lived in NYC [[various places in Manhattan and Brownstone Brooklyn) after college, and am there a half-dozen times a year, for work. I live in Birmingham.

And my residence has nothing to do with my thoughts on a Warren redevelopment [[which I'm not against, or even criticizing, it just isn't a "downtown", it's repackaged sprawl).

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I don't understand this mentality at all.

There is enough there, at the intersection of Chicago and Mound, to really create a unique downtown, instead of trying to develop one from scratch. You already have that great brewery right there. You have some classic architecture there as well.

And you have that river, Red Run. Maybe Warren could buy up some of the properties along that river and make a nice park/trail out of it. A nice riverwalk/park adjacent to the "downtown" would make it even more of a place to hang out.

Just take those buildings from the proposed downtown and infill them between the existing buildings in the old downtown, and you might have something that is more authentic and has some history and sense of place.
    I wish they had chosen Chicago and Mound for this project. I think there's a park over there on Red Run already, but they could add enhancements to make it a downtown centerpiece, along with enhancing the medians between Mound as parkland. It would make this downtown project, in my opinion, feel much more "real". Infrastructure improvements over there could help it feel more enjoyable, like slowing down the speed limit and adding trees and benches along the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitlife View Post
    Yeah that's right, keep lying. You're too deep in now. It's relevant because it just makes you look pathetic and obsessed and a liar, which you are all of those things.

BTW your attempts at code-switching suck, you don't even try.

projecting projecting projecting
    I love these kinds of posts, BTW. Really funny stuff.

The "I know you are but what am I" reasoning once someone is called out for blatant lying. Is Dotard on DYes now? I guess he has time on his hands now.

Mound Road is an Industrial thruway and won't go backwards in time.
    Folks get popped almost daily for speeding on Chicago Road in Warren

Warren is a major city, not a throwback to a time of Forts and Indians

The Red Run has sooo much stormwater volume that it has engulfed
    the 5 lane bridges on both Ryan and Mound , just a few years ago.

In the pics below is Red Run channel 100 ft wide and 30 ft deep:

Warren has flooding issues and needs to stop putting blinders on.
    All that water by Ryan Road is from OaklandCounty, across the border.
    It happened in the past several times, and will occur again, soon.

This pic below is "normal" dry season summer conditions.
    Workers were building a pedestrian walkway onto the Ryan Bridge
    When full, it constitutes a LOT of water, force, pushing forward, downstream

Any downtown that doesn't take the flooding into account is doomed.
    All water from Warren ends up in the Red Run aka Clinton River somehow
    When the Red Run Open Stormwater Channel begins to ""back-up"" so does anything connected to it.

Last edited by O3H; December-31-18 at 04:06 PM.

great posts about red run. i know GM had to completely rehab several basement areas that flooded in 2014. they have now completed 3 large parking structures at tech center, but i would be curious to know if they've made any newer investments for stormwater management on site.

Just curious, how have things progressed on the Heritage Village development on the old GM land? It seemed that there was quite a bit of building, but then it came to a screeching halt when the great recession hit. I don't drive by the area very much, so I'm curious if it ever got completed or advanced.

Heritage Village is filling in at a slower pace. I haven't been through the whole development in a while but they are adding duplexes and other homes here and there. They just opened a daycare near LaFitness and Meijers.

There are a few deer that still roam about in the drainage and wooded areas.
    Last edited by Warrenite84; January-02-19 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrenite84 View Post
    Heritage Village is filling in at a slower pace. I haven't been through the whole development in a while but they are adding duplexes and other homes here and there. They just opened a daycare near LaFitness and Meijers.

There are a few deer that still roam about in the drainage and wooded areas.
    i drove by last weekend. it's mostly filled in with the exception of some four-plexes @ 13 & mound. there's a couple active listings for some single family stuff:
    https://www.myclearviewhome.com/comm...eritageVillage

I live in Warren, near the red run
    couple of comments

I am not excited about the new "downtown" as I don't think you can force such things. Downtowns grow around where people congregate. I am so over chain restaurants, bars and stores. What makes Detroit, Ferndale heck even HP exciting these days is discovering new shops, restaurants and places to hang out. Warren's downtown sounds a lot like a redesigned strip mall...or even a strip mall with Apartments on top

The shops at 12 mile and Vandyke a 1/2 mile away are garbage, clothes, shoes all over the floors...will this just be more of the same ?

Warren is simply a bedroom community, people sleep here and work or party elsewhere. That's all it was ever supposed to be. When population fled Detroit they wanted somewhere "safe" and modern to sleep but the breadwinners, who hadn't already retired, all still worked in the city

Mound Rd business rarely make it because the flow of traffic and stupid MI turn around make it inconvenient for customers. This said ,it makes much more sense to have this at the civic center then just about anywhere else for that reason

my sister bought a condo in this area....made it 11 months before selling out. Terrible construction, problem after problem. Fireplace surround scalding hot to touch, dry wall tape popped at seams...every seem...every room, blocked dryer vents on the roof [[of a 2 story condo- unreachable by tenants ) that were filled with construction debris and improperly installed. Gaps in countertops. Ungraded roads built too narrow to allow street parking or driving down on trash day without issue

Just terrible , they made several upgrades to painting, carpet, window treatments, awnings and repairs [[on an 11 month old home) and broke even on the sale

Back in March, 2018, the City of Warren initially stated the development would cost $125 Million. The latest update stated it at $170 Million. If you look at the posted renderings, the plans look a little different. I read somewhere that they were looking at 22 different plans.

I hope they plan on community input like they did with the city master plan...

City of Warren Website:
    http://www.cityofwarren.org/images/stories/mayor/press-releases/2018.12.26_DDA_Photos.pdf

Crain'sDetroit Business March 22, 2018
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20180323/news/656006/warren-to-seek-developer-for-125-million-plus-walkable-downtown

Perhaps making Warren more bicycle friendly might improve the
    walking around within a city center area.

https://vimeo.com/135599730
    Last edited by O3H; January-12-19 at 02:57 PM.

Audio recording reveals Warren mayor Fouts calling disabled child a 'mongoloid'

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits...ld-a-mongoloid

I mean, good luck moving your city forward when this is the best that you have to offer in terms of a chief executive. Warren is starting from a position of weakness and this does not help overcoming the impression of a backwater.
    Last edited by poobert; January-22-19 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Audio recording reveals Warren mayor Fouts calling disabled child a 'mongoloid'

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits...ld-a-mongoloid

I mean, good luck moving your city forward when this is the best that you have to offer in terms of a chief executive. Warren is starting from a position of weakness and this does not help overcoming the impression of a backwater.
    Completely agreed.

Fouts won't live forever, but Warren will move on anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Fouts won't live forever, but Warren will move on anyways.
    I suppose the truth here is that time will indeed continue to pass and Fouts will die someday, but I'm not sure Warren will "move on" as much as "continue its decades-long decline." I don't see any evidence to contradict that.

I cant believe this story just goes away. The first time around after awhile I searched for news on what became of this story. Did he get busted? Was it just dropped? Who made the recording if it is a fake or not? Seems it was just brushed under the rug. Then it comes up again, and the same thing. I cant believe more is not made of this. He must have some pull somewhere cuz with anyone else this would be major news. With him its just forget it. Dont even question him on the issue. No investigation. No further news to be dug up. Just totally disappears.

Fouts is human, not a robot.
    Any politician will eventually commit fau pas during their time in office.
    Is it a bone crunching blow to how Warren operates day to day - NO.
    We move on, call him a few swear words, and it blows over.
    Time moves forward, not backwards.

Another state of the city...same announcement - all from 2017 Masterplan

i dig some digging and found these from last Dec:

http://flco.com/news-articles/fc-sel...enter-project/

Warren City Square Hotel
    http://www.acquestrealty.com/wpm_gallery/butterfly/
    Currently working with the City of Warren and General Motors to build a hotel on city-owned property. This 194 room full-service hotel will feature a climate-controlled bridge spanning a 6-lane road that will connect the hotel to the GM Technical Center. Expected ground-breaking is in the fall of 2019.

Last edited by hybridy; June-10-19 at 02:38 PM.

Didn't the masterplan get re-vamped, re-organized, re-vitalized, in 2019

https://warrenmasterplan.org/

Beckett & Raeder, Inc. [[BRI) is collaborating with the City of Warren to develop a new master plan. BRI is a multidisciplinary firm that provides planning, landscape architecture, and engineering services across Michigan

Is it a joint collaborate project from 2 entities - ?
    Last edited by O3H; June-10-19 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Didn't the masterplan get re-vamped, re-organized, re-vitalized, in 2019

https://warrenmasterplan.org/

Beckett & Raeder, Inc. [[BRI) is collaborating with the City of Warren to develop a new master plan. BRI is a multidisciplinary firm that provides planning, landscape architecture, and engineering services across Michigan

Is it a joint collaborate project from 2 entities - ?
    BRI is the Master Planner vs FLCO as Master Developer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4