Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How Detroit Went From a Booming Metropolis to a Shrinking City

Part 1 of a NBC Nightly News series below:

And probably the most accurate summarization of the city's state:

"Part 1 of Reviving Detroit looks at how the city went from the richest in the U.S. to the most poverty stricken. Detroit’s population is at nearly a quarter of what it was at its peak, and despite a recent wave of gentrification, the city is still struggling with rampant crime, a failing school system and swaths of vacant land."

Last edited by 313WX; December-24-18 at 12:24 PM.

Jesus Christ how many times is the media going to milk this cow?

As long as the damn thing KEEPS GIVING MILK !!!!

The only way to stop the cycle - kick the auto industry to the curb.
    Find a way to be financially viable without it.
    That's when the news reels will finally cease to feed it to the masses.

I don't think you made your point loud enough. Try using more exclamation points

Was it a slow news day for NBC? They decide to fill their quota with some go-to clickbait Detroit smear story?

They also totally made up that "one quarter" statement.
    Last edited by Worldsgreatest; December-24-18 at 02:48 PM.

Perhaps we should use bold instead of exclamation like the original poster ?

Don't care if it pleases you or not. Deal with it.

How about you capitalize, bold AND underline what you say. Maybe people will listen to you

People listen to those news reports, all over the USA..........
    Perhaps someday the City of Detroit can overcome the media images

How could I take you seriously without the previous emotion you put into your last posts?

PS I don't know if you knew this or not, but occasionally the media panders for ratings. And people who think one major media outlet is better then the other is a moron.

All that needs to be said is "cool story bro." This piece really doesn't say anything that hasn't already been said, I suppose they could've gotten decent ratings with it? Seems like a stretch though.

When you've been telling the world "Detroit is coming back!" for 50 years, don't be surprised or offended when outsiders come to town and experience cognitive dissonance.
    Last edited by Pat001; December-25-18 at 11:42 AM.

Many of us never expected to see much progress at all. There has been a lot more in the last 10 years than the previous 40. BUT, as I've mentioned before, it's all concentrated in a very small area. There is a VERY, VERY long way to go before most people will be convinced of a serious comeback and not just a blip. As it is now, if the economy crashes again [[which a certain Orange buffoon seems determined to cause), all bets are off. If it doesn't work out this time, I don't believe there will be another attempt in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by pat001 View Post
    when you've been telling the world "detroit is coming back!" for 50 years, don't be surprised or offended when outsiders come to town and experience cognitive dissonance.
    exactly!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Many of us never expected to see much progress at all. There has been a lot more in the last 10 years than the previous 40. BUT, as I've mentioned before, it's all concentrated in a very small area. There is a VERY, VERY long way to go before most people will be convinced of a serious comeback and not just a blip. As it is now, if the economy crashes again [[which a certain Orange buffoon seems determined to cause), all bets are off. If it doesn't work out this time, I don't believe there will be another attempt in my lifetime.

I agree with all of this. However, Detroit won't truly come back, until the school system and the neighborhoods are addressed. Crime isn't going to be totally exonerated, but it can be curtailed.

It's long over due Detroit be left alone and develop under its own terms and conditions. Believing that more money, aka.. more government programs will solve Detroit's condition is pure crap. The vast majority of Detroiters accept the conditions in which they live in and have been accepting those conditions for decades.
    Paternalism, usually in the form of "professional" white folk does nothing to advance Detroit.

Want population to turnaround quick? Give people who work and live in the city a lower income tax rate than those who just work in the city. Incentivise those living in the burbs and working downtown to move in rather than complaining that these downtown jobs jobs aren't going to current Detroiters. Population and density is the only true tide that can lift all boats in Detroit IMO.

What a bashing report from NBC news!!! They should have report 'How Detroit went from a black ghetto to a second renaissance.'

The automobile made Detroit, but also was the cause of its collapse. The final assault was the destruction of thousands of tax generating homes and neighborhoods to carve freeway trenches to the new suburbs. Detroit was simply the prototype to what was happening to cities nationally.

so this is only part one? When will they have part two?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    so this is only part one? When will they have part two?
    The entire series is below:

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-films

Quote Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
    The automobile made Detroit, but also was the cause of its collapse. The final assault was the destruction of thousands of tax generating homes and neighborhoods to carve freeway trenches to the new suburbs. Detroit was simply the prototype to what was happening to cities nationally.
    Agree. To successfully deal with the car it seems that cities needed to either be located in a fast growing region, or a slow growth region with strict sprawl policies and good transit. The latter stabilized population decline but made those regions much more expensive places to live.

I thought the same thing. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The entire series is below:

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-films

Thanks for the link.

IF that is the perception the rest of the nation has
    - portrayed by the media and recently broadcast -
    than the city has a long, long, road ahead of it .

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    IF that is the perception the rest of the nation has
    - portrayed by the media and recently broadcast -
    than the city has a long, long, road ahead of it .
    Indeed....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast