Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wayne State Rated The Fastest-Improving University In The Nation

Wayne State Rated The Fastest-Improving University In The Nation

DETROIT – The spotlight is on Wayne State.
    A new report shows the university has made major gains in student retention and graduation rates.
    The latest federal data on college graduation rates reveals that Wayne State University is the fastest-improving university in the nation among public universities with more than 10,000 students. Wayne State’s graduation rates have nearly doubled between 2011 and 2017, increasing from 26 to 47 percent according to the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System [[IPEDS).
    Gains have been particularly pronounced among first-generation, low-income and minority students.
    While Wayne State’s graduation rate has increased 21 percent in six years, nationally, graduation rates have increased only two percentage points over the last decade.
    https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2018/12...in-the-nation/

When Pell Grants were eliminated during the Clinton years for the
    incarcerated, that reduced one avenue for socioeconomic improvement
    for those at the lower rungs of the economic ladder. It was probably
    a relatively popular move at the time, though, with the voter base that the Clintons wanted to secure and which probably in this era strongly
    supports President Trump's missions.

To this day computers, tech, Internet, online training are all largely verboten within Michigan Department of Corrections though there are some tentative steps, initiated during the Obama administration, towards reviving Pell Grants for the incarcerated.

An organization which is trying to help:

http://hopedetroit.tripod.com/

Within the City of Detroit proper, places that sell liquor and cigarettes
    are ubiquitous. Unfortunately both have addictive potential and both
    contribute to low birth weight and lowered IQ in children exposed to
    these substances in utero. Insofar as WSU admits Detroiters proper
    it is providing a space away from the streets and, as for everyone,
    a way to become more productive citizens. To be sure it is more of
    a struggle to achieve if one was exposed to substances before being
    born and has a lowered IQ as a result. If you were anyone's study
    buddy instead of being aloof and alone while you attended WSU,
    thank you so much.

[[Yes I attended WSU on two separate occasions, did not graduate, and know somewhat of what you might be speaking...certain students would circle correct answers on the study materials for the seeming benefit of their cognitively impaired brethren...)

Quote Originally Posted by cohen313 View Post
    Yeah, that's what happens when you shamelessly lower standards. It's now a degree mill. Instead of having admissions filter out dummies, they let in everyone, and then let anyone with a pulse plow through a degree. And by the way, still lowest grad rate in Michigan.
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ment/85648592/

Note: I spent 2 years at WSU in the 80s before transferring to an out of state college. I loathe what's become of the place. A mismanaged and predatory degree mill.
    You have lots of recurring negativity. I sense a lot of anger. Have you tried sipping on some Chamomile tea lately?

And I've even got two packets of chamomile tea in my coat pocket
    right now!

Someone planted chamomile along the streets of Eagle Harbor,
    Michigan to make your walks there more pleasant, though not
    so much at this time of year.

It's been damn tough for people to go to University
    and then pay off the student loans as they go through life.

Having a ""city school"" enables students to secure actual jobs,
    work a bit, and then take classes late afternoon or evening.

Yeah, that's what happens when you shamelessly lower standards. It's now a degree mill. Instead of having admissions filter out dummies, they let in everyone, and then let anyone with a pulse plow through a degree. And by the way, still lowest grad rate in Michigan.

Note: I spent 2 years at WSU in the 80s before transferring to an out of state college. I loathe what's become of the place. A mismanaged and predatory degree mill.
    I'm not sure the article is a good example - dropping the requirement for a high school-level math class, and letting the majors decide what math is required.

It seems like they're focusing on helping students navigate the university:

Academic supports — including learning communities, peer mentoring, study skills support, tutoring, financial literacy education and more — are available to all students. In addition, the university monitors students’ progress to degree biweekly from start to graduation, identifying barriers and addressing them.

Navigate the university = pay more tuition money the kids don't have

When I attended back in the late 1980's the university floated the idea of a mandatory Learn the Library class i.e. the Dewey decimal system and card catalog. It met with a fierce backlash !!

IF you cannot handle High School stuff - you don't belong at university.
    Go to the county sponsored College for reading writing arithmetic,
    before shooting for a degree from a "prominent" university.
    The degree should mean something.
    YES, it should deny entry to some kids.
    Last edited by O3H; December-24-18 at 01:53 PM.

A big plus for WSU has to be the comeback and now booming development that surrounds it. Like downtown Detroit, the cultural center is now perceived to be "safe" in the minds of students and parents [and definitely is far safer than in the past]. That has to be making staff and student recruitment more attractive.

IMO Wayne State already had the most attractive environment in the state, being set amid the cultural institutions of the DIA, Detroit Library, Historical Museums, theaters, art galleries and big city urban living. Students get adult real world living experience, a ~total~ education with tuition costs that don't bankrupt them. It's why I encouraged my son to attend WSU from which he graduated debt free.

Definitely good for WSU and Detroit.

But the saying that "when you've hit rock bottom, you have nowhere else to go but up" also rings loud and clear in this instance.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-24-18 at 10:45 AM.

Contrary to the haters, WSU never hit rock bottom. It is a class university in the middle of Detroit's cultural center. Recognizing that there is room for improvement should not be trivialized....the Board of Governors has done a remarkable job pinpointing areas to be addressed and then following through. I taught at the university for a number of years...was always impressed with the dedication and tenacity of students, many who held full time jobs. Wayne State and Lawrence Institute are two examples of positive improvement in their institutions, fostered by honest introspection and hard work.

Various areas of WSU have had to face accreditation probation.
    Hopefully that is all in the past for the entire campus.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Navigate the university = pay more tuition money the kids don't have

When I attended back in the late 1980's the university floated the idea of a mandatory Learn the Library class i.e. the Dewey decimal system and card catalog. It met with a fierce backlash !!

IF you cannot handle High School stuff - you don't belong at university.
    Go to the county sponsored College for reading writing arithmetic,
    before shooting for a degree from a "prominent" university.
    The degree should mean something.
    YES, it should deny entry to some kids.
    I don't think the basic literacy skills you're talking about are the same things the article talked about. The article described "learning communities, peer mentoring, study skills support, tutoring, financial literacy education". I was the first person from my extended family to go off to a big university. All of these would have come in handy, because I didn't have anyone to ask. I imagine there are people attending Wayne State with similar backgrounds that could use the advice, too.

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    Contrary to the haters, WSU never hit rock bottom. It is a class university...
    What is a "class" university?

In any event, it was the worst performing public university in the state [[it may still be one of the worst), had amongst the worst African American graduating rates in the country and was amongst the worst performing major public universities in the country. If that's not rock bottom, I'd love to see what is.

It has nothing to do with being "haters," just stating facts. Being a collegiate-level instructor, I would think you of all people would be open to and accepting of such facts [[even if you dislike them) and wouldn't diminish yourself to responding with such juvenile language that's apparently only fitting for one within their capacity as President of the United States in 2018 when presented with said facts.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-25-18 at 10:27 AM.

WSU is in an untenable position. When I was attending in the 90's, there was a strong push to get them to admin more kids from the Detroit Public School system. The issue was most, though having good grades in High School, did not have the ACT or SAT scores for admission.

So WSU started a program to admit more DPS students and get them into remedial classes so they could continue with their college program. This didn't work out quite as they would have hoped.

So then they were attacked for allowing poor performing kids in and scamming them out of their money.

The issue is *still* the Detroit Public School system. They are graduating kids who aren't even close to being ready for college.

I know someone involved with an internship program for seniors from one of the DPS technology magnet schools. These were the highest performing students admitted into a special technology-centric program. Out of the couple of dozen students in the internship program, a handful showed *basic* aptitude in writing and math. I'm talking about sending simple emails [[meeting invitations, notices, etc..) and tallying up numbers. Some of the kids were on the ball, motivated, and clearly destined for college. Most were not. If this is the best the DPS can achieve, the entire system needs radical change.

Actually, standards were increased 4-5 years ago and this had a big impact on the increased grad rate. Too many students were being admitted who simply couldn't do college level work. There has been a big focus on remedial assistance prior to regular admission as well. The standards to get a degree are no different than anywhere else and actually higher than many Michigan public universities. WSU is one of the three major research universities, grants PhD and professional degrees [[MD, JD, PharmD) and gets a ton of external research funding, so it is laughable that so many people think places like Ferris State or Grand Valley or even Oakland are "better."

One thing that isn't so wonderful
    4-year graduation rate = 19%

Just because they let people in the door, doesn't mean the kids have
    the grit, determination, and ability to graduate after 4 years

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    One thing that isn't so wonderful
    4-year graduation rate = 19%

Just because they let people in the door, doesn't mean the kids have
    the grit, determination, and ability to graduate after 4 years
    No, if you need remedial education to get you up to speed, it takes longer. Which is why 36% graduate after six years, and 41% graduate after eight. Still not great, but not too far off the national average.

Got my Master's Degree at Wayne in 97. You get out of it what you put into it.

Sure was an ugly campus back in 1954. Old Main was a wreck back then. Doesn't seem much better today, from what I've seen. One year was enough for me and my wallet. Joined the DPD in the summer of '55 and never went back and no regrets. I've never needed Shakespeare or calculus since.

Sidebar. I did work in a hardware store in those years. Learned more in that hardware store that benefited me in later years than anything I learned at WSU. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    Got my Master's Degree at Wayne in 97. You get out of it what you put into it.
    Got a liberal arts degree from WSU some time ago. I was the first person in my family to go to college. My time there prepared me pretty well for the real world - people knock it, but all those prerequisites and lib arts classes gave me great writing and research skills. I have a great job and got exposure to the real world along with different cultures [[here and abroad!) thanks to WSU.

There are some of the best minds in their fields there. Others, not so much. But overall, I love WSU!

Hoping WSU continues to get better in 2019+

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Sure was an ugly campus back in 1954. Old Main was a wreck back then. Doesn't seem much better today, from what I've seen. One year was enough for me and my wallet. Joined the DPD in the summer of '55 and never went back and no regrets. I've never needed Shakespeare or calculus since.

Sidebar. I did work in a hardware store in those years. Learned more in that hardware store that benefited me in later years than anything I learned at WSU. Just sayin'.
    It might not have been beneficial to you because you chose the career field of police officer [[and thank you for your service), but if you wanted to be an occupational therapist, or an accountant, or a mechanical engineer, those classes would have been important.

I don't know how you could say the campus has not improved since 1954? Are you a Detroit hater like hybridy and 313WX?

-They closed off 2nd street and made it pedestrian mall to give the college more of a traditional feel.

-The campus has several stunning mid-century buildings designed by world-renowned architect Manuri Yamasaki.

-They built a welcome center at the corner of Woodward and Warren in 2002 that is beautiful.

-The 24-hour undergraduate library they built 21 years ago is still beautiful.

-They have built several huge multi-million dollar dormitories that have substantially increased on-campus population and these dorms have on their 1st floors sub stops, bagel shops, donut shops, other eateries, etc that increased the livability and desirability of the area.

-And the campus is getting better, with the $65 million expansion of the Hilberry Theater:
    https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...azz/454969002/
    Last edited by masterblaster; December-27-18 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    It might not have been beneficial to you because you chose the career field of police officer [[and thank you for your service).

I don't know how you could say the campus has not improved since 1954? Are you a Detroit hater like hybridy and 313?
    Actually, I'm 2000 miles away in Nevada, although I return annually. What I see in Detroit is tragic, compared to 50, 60 years ago. I'm not a Detroit hater, and I don't think those other two are, either. It's just that we see nothing but sadness compared to what should have been.

Anyway, thank you for the thanks expressed. Appreciated. And I enjoyed every day of my 29 DPD years. What more could you ask of a career?

That's because the Detroit of 50, 60 years ago is dead and gone. Time to move forward

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

Anyway, thank you for the thanks expressed. Appreciated. And I enjoyed every day of my 29 DPD years. What more could you ask of a career?
    Funny, I look at the state of Nevada and think it's tragic as well. Now stop skewing the topic of the thread. thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast