Emagine-big sean
    ;

Meijer Development
    ;

Joe Louis Greenway;

The Ashton;

State Fair Grounds;

Lot with development sign near Motown coney island;

Last edited by shawring; December-30-18 at 09:24 PM.

According to The Platform's website, the planned project on Jefferson and E Grand is in the pre-development phase. I don't believe The Platform was ever involved with a project at Van Dyke and Jefferson. I remember reading something about a potential highrise built there, but I think it was more of "what could be done" than "what will be done".

Last we heard about Russell Flats, the site and development itself was for auction last April.

Stone Soap and Woodward at Midtown, the development by Detroit One coney, which is what I think you meant, were both supposed to break ground last October, but haven't.

Soma recently had one of the parking garage/retail components approved. The city of Detroit is also considering leasing a large amount of space in the existing former Red Cross buildings on the site. Office space is also currently for lease in the buildings to be built. No word on the West Elm hotel there recently.

District Detroit is likely never going to happen in the capacity announced. I'll be surprised if they can even complete the Little Caesars HQ expansion.

Cass & York is leasing now and has been for at least 2 months. They have a leasing office on the ground floor of the Fisher Building. I was told by a realtor there that leasing is going well.

Alamo Drafthouse was announced last summer. Development in Detroit takes awhile.

Last we heard about the Big Sean Emagine, they were narrowing it down to two sites. We should hear about the chosen site soon.

The Ashton is likely dead. The developers are well over a year past the announced groundbreaking date. A few months ago I left a comment on their Facebook page asking for an update and was ignored. Several months before I did that someone else commented asking the same thing. He was also ignored.

I don't see Emagine building a theater in midtown or downtown in the near future

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I don't see Emagine building a theater in midtown or downtown in the near future
    Is anyone building any theatres anywhere?

[[I suspect that it is happening in some places, but does anyone know what the overall trend in new cinema construction is? Some construction subsidized by developers or local governments is to be expected.)

As mentioned in another thread, Emagine just opened a theatre in "middle of nowhere" Hartland.

From what I heard several months ago; Emagine is likely to go somewhere in Corktown.

Nsortzi, thanks for the updates. Great details.

Regarding Emagine, or any other movie house developments, I find it difficult to see how anyone would invest in this form of entertainment. The increase of bandwidth, combined inexpensive large in-home flat hi-def screens and so many streaming options like Netflix and Amazon Prime, has to be diminishing the attraction of movie houses.

It has for me. How about for the rest of you? One visit to a movie with popcorn and a coke can come close to paying for a month of at-home entertainment. I like the big screen experience but sitting ten feet from a 60 inch screen with surround sound comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    It has for me. How about for the rest of you? One visit to a movie with popcorn and a coke can come close to paying for a month of at-home entertainment. I like the big screen experience but sitting ten feet from a 60 inch screen with surround sound comes close.
    We go to the movies less often, but that is more of a factor of having two young kids. The corollary is we'll splurge and go to Emagine, which is more expensive, but the reserved seating and super nice recliners are fantastic, especially as I'm rather tall and even regular stadium seating gets uncomfortable for me.

As the kids get older, we'll probably go to see more movies in the theater.

I agree with everything Lowell said. I haven't been to a movie theater in at least 10 years. I prefer the comforts of my own home.

It was another record year at the box office in 2018. Some of this is due to price increases but it seems the 18-30 set will go to any superhero rehash they come out with. These movies also do very well globally. Meanwhile there is very little for the 40+ group, who are less likely to attend movies anyway so there's even less reason to cater to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    I agree with everything Lowell said. I haven't been to a movie theater in at least 10 years. I prefer the comforts of my own home.
    Add me to that agreement. The last time I was in a movie theatre was to see the original "Beverly Hills Cop" with Eddie Murphy when it first came out in ...... was that in 1984? And that was just because of the Detroit connections.

I also intensely dislike unconsiderate theatre-goers.

Emagine is doing more with food and bowling and other entertainment to bring people in for a "night out" experience. I can foresee a Detroit location being along the lines of Punch Bowl with a few screens.

Also, was the Corktown rumor before or after the MCS announcement? If it was before, I'd imagine prices for land would have increased, making a development harder in that area.

The only thing I dislike more than unconsiderate theater-goes are inconsiderate theatre-goers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

I also intensely dislike unconsiderate theatre-goers.
    On the plus side, you don’t have to yell “get off my lawn” when they are in the theater.