Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Ilitches take slumlord to a new level. Slowplaying NSO in shaky land deal.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...bo/2119281002/
    A plan by a Midtown homeless shelter to move into a new, bigger space is in limbo because the owners of the Detroit Red Wings and Little Caesars pizza chain have waffled on a verbal agreement to pay $1.5 million to the shelter's operators, according to three sources familiar with the potential deal.
    Terrible fucking corporate neighbors.

Not surprised at all. Even if it was in writing, it was likely never in their plans.

And people wonder why we hate what they've done to downtown Detroit.

The arena is expected to be the spark for 50 blocks of new development, in a plan called The District Detroit. Entities linked to the Ilitches own a sizable portion of those 50 blocks.
    Yeah... I don't think the Illitches have any intention of actually developing the land around the arena.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Yeah... I don't think the Illitches have any intention of actually developing the land around the arena.
    The Terrible Ilitches facebook page has great summaries of all the development they are very obviously not moving forward with.

https://www.facebook.com/TERRIBLEILITCHES/

Too bad a Detroit judge didn't order this for the Madison-Lenox:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...86e_story.html

This thread seems to need a little charity. And who better to deliver a little Christmas charity than your ol' Ilitch apologist, Mouch.

Is it possible that the Ilitches were deceitful, evil, and selfish? Of course.

Is it possible that there's a little more here? A verbal deal? OK. I'd sure hope the NSO wouldn't rely on that. And why would the Ilitches renege? Just to be mean? Maybe. Or maybe some other part of the deal on NSO's end changed.

I like to think the best of people. Its a weakness. Merry Christmas to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Merry Christmas to all.
    We're on opposite sides of this issue, but I wish you the most Merry Christmases.

Odd detour, but ok. Merry Christmas

I LOATHE THEM ENTIRELY!
    ~the Grinch
    Speaking on the slumlords of Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Dmberko11 View Post
    I LOATHE THEM ENTIRELY!
    ~the Grinch
    Speaking on the slumlords of Detroit
    Ilitches are kings of the slumlords.

Something is up with the Illitches. Can’t figure out if it is a lack of cash issue, legal infighting, unpublished lawsuit, or something else... but something is off.

Historically the Illitches made decisions that made sense for their bottom line, despite usually being loathed by us historical preservation advocates. But their recent decisions don’t even make sense if you consider the “what’s best for Illitch’s bottom line” argument.

Why would you waste money on the unfinished Bloomfield Park Style structures that surround LCA? Historically the Illitches would have announced a parking ramp and attached development project, and then only build the ramp. This time they built both the ramp and skeleton for the associated structures.., but didn’t finish completing the structures. Why waste the money on those unfinished structure portions in the first place?

Also, why did they even bother with the later announcements of all the associated development, once the tax payer money was already locked in for LCA? They had their money and permits approved.., so why even bother hiring an architect to create these pretty drawings of developments that would never happen. Yes, I know the Illitches have been the kings of bait and switch... but this time there was nothing to switch. So why waste time and money on the bait then?

Something is really not adding up here this time.... and it is not just business as usual with Illitch being a slumlord.
    Last edited by Atticus; December-18-18 at 02:08 PM.

Ilitch stuff aside, remember, it takes two to tango. I can say that some [[not all) of the people that I’ve known whom are involved with Detroit non-profit organizations are some of the most cut-throat and non-charitable people that I’ve ever met. So consider that aspect as part of the equation.

They ARE who we thought they were.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...wn/1118462001/

And in other news the development of parking garages, lots and their own corporate Headquarters really did count as development so they are now eleigible for 74M more dollars.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/business/2019/05/11/ilitch-organization-arena-detroit-district-goal-bonus/1157439001/

As negotiated by the state appointed emergency manager Kevyn Orr.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    They ARE who we thought they were.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...wn/1118462001/

And in other news the development of parking garages, lots and their own corporate Headquarters really did count as development so they are now eleigible for 74M more dollars.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/business/2019/05/11/ilitch-organization-arena-detroit-district-goal-bonus/1157439001/

As negotiated by the state appointed emergency manager Kevyn Orr.
    I have mixed feelings about the NSO deal. Honestly, I think NSO should stay put where they are in Midtown. With all the new found affluence moving into the area, both the shelter and the people they serve might do better. It also wouldn't hurt to give the newbies moving into the area a taste of reality.
    As for as continuing to subsidizing the Ilitche's coliseum? You've got to be kidding me! I wonder how much Kevyn Orr got for orchestrating that sweetheart deal?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-11-19 at 09:08 AM.

^ not to even mention all of the city owned [[taxpayer) properties that were transferred to offshore untraceable corporations.

Kilpatrick,I raped the city and now I am in jail.

The state,hold my beer and let us show you how it is done without going to jail.
    Last edited by Richard; May-11-19 at 11:02 AM.

Why can't this garbage family just drop dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Something is up with the Illitches. Can’t figure out if it is a lack of cash issue, legal infighting, unpublished lawsuit, or something else... but something is off.

Historically the Illitches made decisions that made sense for their bottom line, despite usually being loathed by us historical preservation advocates. But their recent decisions don’t even make sense if you consider the “what’s best for Illitch’s bottom line” argument.

Why would you waste money on the unfinished Bloomfield Park Style structures that surround LCA? Historically the Illitches would have announced a parking ramp and attached development project, and then only build the ramp. This time they built both the ramp and skeleton for the associated structures.., but didn’t finish completing the structures. Why waste the money on those unfinished structure portions in the first place?

Also, why did they even bother with the later announcements of all the associated development, once the tax payer money was already locked in for LCA? They had their money and permits approved.., so why even bother hiring an architect to create these pretty drawings of developments that would never happen. Yes, I know the Illitches have been the kings of bait and switch... but this time there was nothing to switch. So why waste time and money on the bait then?

Something is really not adding up here this time.... and it is not just business as usual with Illitch being a slumlord.
    They must be creating a brownfield so they can get more tax breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post

I can see why you feel that way [[something is up)... but no, that is the Ilitch modus operandi.... don't expect them to do things that are logical. Back in 2005 one of the major dailies had an article that called them "flawed brilliance"... and there's little else to add to that.

They let the United Artists Theatre Building go to hell and back [[open to vagrants)... until some lightbulb finally clicked a few years back... and they put a new roof on both, and cleared the interior. But the auditorium, once called the "Jewel Box" among downtown theatres, may be too far gone to ever repair... something that was preventable when they first bought it.

Sadly they've always been slackers in the redevelopment department. Why did they even bother to get redevelopment rights to the GAR Building... only to have to give it back to the city when all they did was sit on it.

Even the Fox Theatre... their jewel [[that they still try to get a lot of mileage out of fixing up). They are getting lazy in the maintenance even of the theatre. Only 4 theatres in the world were known to have an independent lobby organ, and the Fox's Moeller is now no longer working. It needs repairs. Ditto for the mighty 4/36 Wurlitzer in the Auditorium is in need of repair... but nothing [[except new construction) ever gets done by them.

Sad really...

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    Why can't this garbage family just drop dead?
    They are. One member @ a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    They are. One member @ a time.
    Not fast enough. We need too to bring out the guillotines.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    Not fast enough. We need too to bring out the guillotines.
    You're killing me with your grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    You're killing me with your grammar.
    if bad grammar kill ilitches than I All for it.

I think the Illitches are starting to embrace their true identity as comic book villains.

That is why Chris Illitch is hooked on crack before he took his daddy's job.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    That is why Chris Illitch is hooked on crack before he took his daddy's job.
    Danny, I thought that was Mike Ilitch Jr. ??