Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Redemption for Jayru Campbell--Cass Tech Star in Div. II Finals

Ferris State has won a shot at the Division II national football championship in a story that also features a redemption of Cass Tech's Jayru Campbell who once seemed headed to a life of prison. He blew a MSU scholarship, barely avoided prison and began his climb back by leading a junior college to a national championship.

"Campbell was once a troubled youth — twice arrested when he attended Cass Tech — and saw his scholarship to play for Michigan State taken away while he sat in jail. Now, those close to him say his jovial personality shines on the sidelines when he's not behind center. Teammates flock to him, and both Annese and QB coach Dan Rohn consider Campbell one of the best leaders on the team."

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...all/538744002/

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Ferris State has won a shot at the Division II national football championship in a story that also features a redemption of Cass Tech's Jayru Campbell who once seemed headed to a life of prison. He blew a MSU scholarship, barely avoided prison and began his climb back by leading a junior college to a national championship.
    "Campbell was once a troubled youth — twice arrested when he attended Cass Tech — and saw his scholarship to play for Michigan State taken away while he sat in jail. Now, those close to him say his jovial personality shines on the sidelines when he's not behind center. Teammates flock to him, and both Annese and QB coach Dan Rohn consider Campbell one of the best leaders on the team."

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...all/538744002/
    The linked article does not talk about his season/tenure with Ferris State.

The below article does that:

https://www.mlive.com/sports/2018/12...-finalist.html

I am very ecstatic for the young man. He had such a bad, entitled attitude during that tumultuous 2014. I hope he wins the award and leads his team to a national championship.

As a former Cass Technician and an MSU alum I am very happy for this young man. I was saddened and highly disappointed when he so publicly blew his chance at a Div. 1 scholarship. Another friend of mine's son is on the coaching staff at Ferris and he has nothing but good things to say about Jaryu. The team they're playing in the Div. 2 finals, Valdosta State, is extremely tough with a high flying offense that puts up huge numbers, but here's hoping for a great game for Jaryu Campbell and the Bulldogs.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/h...ion/320205001/

If you are wondering if Mr. Campbell has turned a page, you should check out the article above.

In a nutshell, Campbell goes to a Last Chance U 2-year junior college after a year at a prep school. At the Jr. College he is the starting QB with an2-0 record. Late transfer of another QB means Campbell moves to receiver to help the team. When that Transfer QB is suspended, Campbell stays at receiver and tutors a 3rd stringer at QB. Team wins National Jr College championship.

Yeah, this guy is going pro. Hats off to a young man with as much character as talent.

He won the Harlon Hill trophy today

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...hy/2315660002/

It is extremely rare for such high profile recruits to find success after screwing up so publicly on multiple occasions. I am very glad that he has found success after years of being doubted from people like me. The lessons he will have learned through this process will make him very successful in the future, if he continues to work hard.

Good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    It is extremely rare for such high profile recruits to find success after screwing up so publicly on multiple occasions. I am very glad that he has found success after years of being doubted from people like me. The lessons he will have learned through this process will make him very successful in the future, if he continues to work hard.
    Agreed. I truly hope he's learned from his past mistakes and doesn't backslide. Here's to hoping he has a good future.