Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Fox 2 Detroit Meteorologist Jessica Starr dies.

Tragic for all concerned. My heart goes out to family and friends

This is horrible. I thought she did a great job, I'll miss seeing her on TV. Best wishes to her friends and family, I can't imagine what they're going through.

....... very sad. enjoyed seeing her on TV.

Very sad but it just goes to show how well some hide what’s going on inside. I had a friend take his life a few years ago.

Shocked and deeply saddened

Terrible way to feel for her and those whom loved her and are now faced with it constantly running through their minds of what they could have said or done to prevent this from happening. Rest in peace.

Apparently, her pain stemmed from Lasik surgery

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...213-story.html

So sad. My prayers goes out for her family and collegues

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Apparently, her pain stemmed from Lasik surgery

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...213-story.html
    I would identify this as total speculation. Her last tweet was about issues with recovering from eye surgery, but I have not seen anything that would suggest any reason for her suicide is known by the general public.

I agree that in her case it's probably conjecture, but apparently Lasik has been known to cause depression and suicide attempts. http://lasikcomplications.com/suicide.htm
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-surgery.html
    Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I would identify this as total speculation. Her last tweet was about issues with recovering from eye surgery, but I have not seen anything that would suggest any reason for her suicide is known by the general public.

I believe she also had a baby recently. It could postpartum depression

No one has the slightest clue what she was going through. The only one who knows isn't talking.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    You’re right.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    No one has the slightest clue what she was going through. The only one who knows isn't talking.
    ....So true

I'm not going to link to it, but the Metro Times is running a big piece about the Lasik angle. That rag isn't even suitable as a birdcage liner.

I don't think her baby was that young; I think she is around 2 or 3 now. Her older child is in kindergarten.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    I believe she also had a baby recently. It could postpartum depression

Simply heartbreaking. Only in her 30s, with young ones. How do you tell your children Mom is gone and help them understand what happened?

My condolences to Jessica’s family & her Fox 2 family.

very sad indeed. I could see how that could drive you nuts with crazy vision and painful dry eye, and bad headaches. Plus reading is her job. Im not going to judge but damn. I am just sad it happened.

11 years ago I broke my humerus. Bone was broken all the way through but there was still connective tissue spanning and tugging at the "halves" of the bone. This resulted in the two raw edges rubbing against each other. Because of scheduling issues with the surgeon, I had to wait 6 days until surgery. In those 6 days, even with taking the most Vicodin and Oxycontin allowed, the pain was unbelievably severe. Many orders of magnitude worse than childbirth.

A couple times I told myself that it was just X days until surgery, that I could hold out until then. At the time, I did not share with others that if I had to wait longer than a week for surgery, I could not do it and would consider a way for a permanent exit.

As bad as bone-on-bone pain was for me, it was only my upper arm. I cannot imagine eye pain.

My apologies for highjacking this thread. I don't know anything beyond what has been reported in the news. If pain was a contributing factor to the suicide, I think I understand.

For those of you wanting actual facts from the family, here you go: http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...-complications

NOVI, Mich. [[FOX 2) - It's been more than two months since Jessica Starr ended her own life. For the family of Jessica, the grieving process is only just started.Jessica ended her life on December 12th, two months after she went in for eye surgery to correct her vision. Her husband, Dan Rose, says it's been a long battle that he's fighting for their very young children.
    "I'm trying to focus on our kids. We have a 5 and a 3 year old who, of course, miss their mom and are grieving. They're trying to figure out what happened and where she's at. She was here one day and she was gone the next," Dan said. "We've had conversations about Jessica being in heaven and no longer being with us."

Dan salls it the most difficult thing he's ever done in his life.

Through a series of videos and a 30-page suicide note, Dan is learning more about Jessica's final weeks.
    "It's been exactly 3 weeks since I had my surgery. It's been emotional," Jessica said, in a video Dan found on her phone.
    Dan is sharing these videos and her messages now because this is Jessica's emotions in her own words.
    "It's important to share these because anything I say - it's not as important as what Jessica says. Something coming directly from Jessica is going to be more powerful than anything coming from me or any member of her family," Dan said.
    Dan says Jessica was his soul-mate, the love of his life. But the Jessica in the videos is not the woman he loved for 17 years.
    "Prior to the procedure, Jessica was completely normal, very healthy. There was no depression, there was no antidepressants, there was no underlying issue," he said. "I want to make that absolutely clear. Jessica was incredibly normal - there wasn't a long battle with depression. Again, there was no antidepressants, there was no alcohol abuse. there was nothing."
    Dan said he's thankful for the support that viewers have offered and that the Jessica Starr you saw on TV was the one he knew.
    "I want to thank them for all their support. I know how people felt about Jess. Jess had an amazing spirit and amazing connection with people. She had the ability to walk into a room and connect with people. that's not something that everbody has."
    "I know the viewers loved her because the person you saw on TV - that was Jessica in real life. Jessica was a normal girl. She honestly could care less that she was on TV. She used to say to me every day 'I'm not Tom Cruise, I don't make a million dollars a year. I put my pants on one leg at a time'. She had all these little jokes she would say."
    Dan is talking now, ten weeks after losing Jessica to suicide, to raise awareness bout side effects of eye surgery. On October 11, Jessica had ReLEx SMILE LASIK surgery. She knew something wasn't right in the days and weeks after the operation and went to multiple different doctors for their opinions.
    "We were in our kitchen and I could tell she was upset and she had come home from like her 3rd or 4th second opinion. I reached under forearms and grabbed her by the backs of her elbows and I pulled her close to me and we were looking right into each other's eyes and I said what's wrong? What is going on? What are you looking for? All of these doctors are telling you the same thing - what are you trying to find?"
    "She looked at me and she said Dan, it's like my eyes and my brain aren't communicating like they used to. I can't process like I used to. I'm not visualizing things like I used to," Dan said.
    Now he's taking his story, and Jessica's, public.
    "We want to try to help somebody. If we can save one life and at least make somebody aware, even a spouse - if a husband gets this procedure - I want the wife to just watch for signs," Dan said.
    The National Institute of Health has studied the procedure and found a success rate of the operation is greater than 96% that resulted in 20/20 vision. That's what Jess was hoping for.
    In the notes and the videos she left behind, Jessica was lucid and knew the decision she had made. She made it very clear that what she was about to do was in result of the decision she made to have the operation.

She was a beautiful women. She was beautiful in glasses or without, any surgery has risks. I smell a big time lawsuit on the horizon.

Heartbreaking.

That's scary. No medical procedure is risk-free.