Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Fiat Chrysler plans to open new assembly factory in Detroit to build SUVs

I assume this will be them officially announcing they're coverting the Mack Avenue Engine Plant to build vehicles [[this has been an open secret for a while).

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/06/fiat...build-suv.html

An article in the Detroit News pointed out that FCA is pressed for manufacturing room with the 3rd row Jeep coming on line, and needed the production facility in the U.S. to produce it. I wonder though where they're going to produce the Jeep Gladiator.

It was a wise move by FCA to abandon the 200 and Dart when they did, foreshadowing what GM and Ford have announced over the past 6 months in abandoning [[mostly) North America automobile production.

Awesome news. I'm not a big Chrysler/ Dodge fan but they're doing something right and you see alot of their cars on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    An article in the Detroit News pointed out that FCA is pressed for manufacturing room with the 3rd row Jeep coming on line, and needed the production facility in the U.S. to produce it. I wonder though where they're going to produce the Jeep Gladiator.

It was a wise move by FCA to abandon the 200 and Dart when they did, foreshadowing what GM and Ford have announced over the past 6 months in abandoning [[mostly) North America automobile production.

The Gladiator will be produced at Toledo Assembly.

Reports are suggesting that between 100 and 400 new jobs will be created.

In comparison, JNAP employs roughly 5,000 hourly/salaried employees.

so where will these jobs be announced at, where can you apply?

Why build another factory in Detroit. When it closes it will be just another empty shell of a building that nothing could be done to it such as the former Fisher plant. I would rather see Amazon put a Fullfilment Center inside of Detroit to provide jobs

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Why build another factory in Detroit. When it closes it will be just another empty shell of a building that nothing could be done to it such as the former Fisher plant. I would rather see Amazon put a Fullfilment Center inside of Detroit to provide jobs
    Is this some sort of contorted sarcasm that's going over my head? The factory is already there. It will provide jobs. And what happens to an Amazon "fulfillment center" when it closes? Would that not be another empty shell?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I'm almost 100% certain these jobs will be filled by UAW workers, being paid UAW wages and receiving UAW benefits.

That beats a non-union, low wage warehouse any day.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-09-18 at 08:42 PM.