Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Northville Psychiatric Hospital Demolition

Name:  Northville-00009.jpg
Views: 4029
Size:  129.3 KB

The main building of Northville Psychiatric Hospital nears final demolition. After several years various plans and controversy the idyllic camps of the former mental health institution is undergoing demolition.

The hospital ground sit atop some the most beautiful and valuable land in Metro Detroit. These images, photographed in the autumn of 2006, display what could easily be mistaken for a serene college campus.

wow! finally! after how long?

Anyone know what's planned for the site? I think parkland?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Anyone know what's planned for the site? I think parkland?
    source

"Ideally, by fall 2019, the site will be a sprawling park with nature trails, bike paths and play areas — not the home of a towering eyesore and a hotbed for trespassing vandals."

... they'll be careful about asbestos removal, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    These images, photographed in the autumn of 2006, display what could easily be mistaken for a serene college campus.
    Really, that was the point.

Then we closed those places. We now have twice as many people with mental illness in prison in Michigan than receiving treatment in state facilities. 1/4 inmates in Michigan suffer from mental illness.

http://www.michiganradio.org/post/it...mental-illness

https://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf...accused_o.html

They won't come out any better from any deals dealt on that land.

Northville Township: Don’t explore what’s left of the former state psychiatric hospital, it’s dangerous

The “no trespassing” signs didn’t stop people from risking their lives to explore what’s left of the state psychiatric hospital in Northville Township, so the township installed more security in June.

Public safety officials say there has never been a more dangerous time to enter the property than now. Work started in June to abate asbestos and other hazardous material before the final demolition gets underway.

The area, now known as Legacy Park, is currently an active demolition site and is considered to be dangerous. That’s why the township and contractor Asbestos Abatement Incorporated installed security by Pro-Vigil to discourage trespassers from entering the property.

The security system can detect motion and uses sirens, strobe lights, signs, a public address system, and a person monitoring the site at all times to protect potential trespassers.

Since it was installed in late June, trespassers triggered the alarms around 60 times. The police were dispatched six times....

Put some car driven sub-division over the it and the old nut house will be a memory.

"Nut house"? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Put some car driven sub-division over the it and the old nut house will be a memory.

"Who you gonna' call?" Better have Ghostbusters check that place out. See you on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Really, that was the point.
    We should put them all in Maralago with Generalissimo Orange Pompadour [GOP].

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post

Let Uncle Joe take care of it. On second thought, not a good idea. It'll cost the taxpayers a boatload of money and he won't remember where he put them.

Quote Originally Posted by honky tonk View Post
    let uncle joe take care of it. On second thought, not a good idea. It'll cost the taxpayers a boatload of money and he won't remember where he put them.
    lol :d

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    That would really piss the neighbors off,it was bad enough when he let,women and,gasp,single women, African Americans,Jews and homosexuals become members.

That was another social experiment gone awry,close them all down and just dump everybody in the streets for their own benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That was another social experiment gone awry,close them all down and just dump everybody in the streets for their own benefit.
    Yes... we had former Michigan governor John Engler to thank for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Funny I do not see his name listed

Common historical figures in deinstitutionalization in the US include Geraldo Rivera, Robert Williams, Burton Blatt, Gunnar Dybwad,[26][27] Michael Kennedy,[28] Frank Laski, Steven J. Taylor,[29] Douglas P. Biklen, David Braddock,[30][31] Robert Bogdan and K. C. Lakin.[32][33] in the fields of "intellectual disabilities" [[e.g., amicus curae, Arc-US to the US Supreme Court; US state consent decrees).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinstitutionalisation

Seems to be the result of a bunch of educated folk that lacked common sense.

Probably the same ones that thought deindustrialization would be good. also
    Last edited by Richard; July-29-22 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Better have Ghostbusters check that place out.
    Yeah, when Ghostbusters checked out Saint John's Resort, they discovered a parade of spectral priests sodomizing and sliming a nest of spectral seminarians. You can't be too careful.
    Inn at St. John's becomes Saint John's Resort, details expansion plans [[detroitnews.com)
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; July-29-22 at 03:33 PM.

I wish I still had the letter I got back from Engler's office when I wrote a letter complaining about the gutting of the mental health care system. It was a masterwork in double speak and praise of Engler's expertise. It was also all bullshit. That man should be cursed with children that needed mental health care and can't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I wish I still had the letter I got back from Engler's office when I wrote a letter complaining about the gutting of the mental health care system. It was a masterwork in double speak and praise of Engler's expertise. It was also all bullshit. That man should be cursed with children that needed mental health care and can't get it.
    There is only 1 good thing that that man has ever done... move the state offices in metro Detroit to the former GM HQ. Period.

After the devastation he caused Michigan and Detroit, he later became interim president of MSU, and due to his callous comments got into the controversy involving the earlier "Nasser Incidents". He tended his resignation in 2019 for a future date, but the Board of Governors accepted it as taking hold the next day!