Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Oakland U Arms Itself Against an Active Shooter--with Hockey Pucks?

If one goes down the maybe, what-if, just-in-case rabbit hole, some curious things can be found.
    "To prepare for an active shooter, faculty and students at Oakland University are arming themselves - with hockey pucks.

The idea of using the quirky self-defense tool grew out of a training session Police Chief Mark Gordon led in March for faculty members on what they should do if a gunman enters their classroom.

A participant asked what people could bring to campus to be better prepared in case they need to fight back...

...Following up on the suggestion, Tom Discenna, a professor of communication and president of the faculty union, spearheaded an effort by the union to purchase 2,500, 94cent hockey pucks.

OU using hockey pucks against active shooters

Follow the link below to view the article.
    https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com/publ...reid=1ec2b30b1

He shoots, we score!

I got hit by a hockey puck last night, twice. The first time it hit my helmet and stunned me. I couldn't hear for five seconds. The second time it hit my wrist, it hurt, and it's swollen today.

Although both times the puck was not thrown, it was shot by a defensemen with a $300 hockey stick.

I'm not sure how effective they'll be if thrown...

Virginia: "Do you always carry a hockey puck with you?"
    Happy Gilmore: "Yeah."

Well, at least they're not bringing a knife to a gunfight.

I was thrilled with the prospect of Oakland University buying The Palace because it would put them on the brink of adding a D-1 hockey program. However, this was not the embrace of hockey that I was hoping for from OU.

Why spend money on hockey pucks at all? Can't they just throw "Thoughts and Prayers" at the shooter? That seems to be the default solution to all mass shootings, just throw up some T's + P's and call it a day.

They can always throw their cell phones at the shooter,what happens if they miss and hit an innocent bystander instead?

Lost in all the online OUTRAGE over this, the pucks are part of a fundraiser for new locks, which will have a positive impact on safety. There's a number on the pucks you can input to donate. The quote from the article posted above sums this up:

"Student body vice-president Brittany Kleinschmidt, a junior, said the pucks are raising awareness about the need for the new door locks and generating a lot of buzz on campus.

As a fundraiser it's a novel idea, especially given the publicity it's generating. As an actual self defense tool? Not so sure, but it's better than nothing. A few flying pucks [[Or one used as a striking device) could probably be a reasonable deterrent to most of these scumbag shooters. Many of them seem to simply turn the gun on themselves when they face serious resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    As a fundraiser it's a novel idea, especially given the publicity it's generating. As an actual self defense tool? Not so sure, but it's better than nothing. A few flying pucks [[Or one used as a striking device) could probably be a reasonable deterrent to most of these scumbag shooters. Many of them seem to simply turn the gun on themselves when they face serious resistance.
    Before reading that it was a fundraiser, I thought it was a fine idea.

Sometimes its good to think outside the rink [[as the expression kinda goes).

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Before reading that it was a fundraiser, I thought it was a fine idea.

Sometimes its good to think outside the rink [[as the expression kinda goes).
    Isn't it "outside the penalty box?"