Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Designed by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls. Detroit Saturday Night Building, 550 West Fort Street built in 1914 Downtown, Detroit, MI. Includes an image of the building from a 1916 issue of the Western Architect.

Detroit Saturday Night would move to 1959 East Jefferson Avenue in 1929.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    It’s also pretty obvious that NYC land is worth more to build up on than to park cars on.
    You're right no one Parks cars on a surface lot in NYC.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  121.3 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  77.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    You're right no one Parks cars on a surface lot in NYC.
    I love this line of "argument". Yes, it's possible to find a parking lot in NYC. No, they aren't remotely common.

No one claimed there isn't one parking spot in NYC. New parking has essentially been banned in Manhattan since the early 70's. There are very few surface parking lots left in NYC [[which I'm sure you discovered as you desperately searched to find a surface lot).

Also, a tower is going up in the first pic posted, so it was just a temporary lot as the site was being assembled. The second pic shows a narrow lot that will probably be developed with a sliver hotel, which is the norm for those types of sites.

There's surface parking in Shelby Township and surface parking in Hong Kong. Therefore Shelby Township = Hong Kong. Great "argument" there.
    Last edited by Bham1982; December-05-18 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    No one claimed there isn't one parking spot in NYC.
    Yes, someone did claim that land was so expensive in NYC that they do not waste it on surface parking, read the quote I included in my post. Get out of here with your know-it-all attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Yes, someone did claim that land was so expensive in NYC that they do not waste it on surface parking, read the quote I included in my post.
    Which is absolutely true. Land in NYC is too valuable to waste on surface parking.

What don't you understand? That quote has nothing to do with your claim. It doesn't mean "there isn't a single parking spot in existence", obviously. Some spots exist, for various reasons [[outdated zoning mandates in fringe areas or interim uses for development assemblages, mostly).

And that isn't my point either, it isn't my fault that you added word into what I said. You are a pompous ass who just loves to hear yourself talk.

Getting back on topic, please people sign the petition and save this building

The city should be imposing a land value tax on lots 20-25% on accessory parking and standalone lots. Downtowns are for businesses, offices, hotels, and residential buildings. Detroit has a parking problem....there are too many lots and garages

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    The city should be imposing a land value tax on lots 20-25% on accessory parking and standalone lots. Downtowns are for businesses, offices, hotels, and residential buildings. Detroit has a parking problem....there are too many lots and garages
    Agreed, the land value is not the issue here, greater downtown property is very valuable. The problem is you have slumlords who sit on property and don't have to do anything to keep making easy money.

The city should be taking it's fair share of that parking lot revenue and discourage this wasteful use of space.

So, more taxes? Bigger Government? Tighter regulations? Less business friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    In a word, yes. "Business friendly" doesn't have to mean letting them do whatever they freaking want to.

Letting companies big and small sit on vacant lots downtown scott free is NOT helping the kind of business the city needs. Tax the hell out of surface parking lots and incentivize the owners to build up or sell to someone who will.

I don't see the problem.

Disincentivize bad behavior; don't reward it.

Why would the city want to be "Business friendly" to surface lot owners?

Update from today. It's implied that since Moten fixed up the Ft. Shelby, he wants a free pass on this one. Getting pretty tired of the conventional wisdom that we should accept at least one historic building demolished in exchange for each one fixed up. Why can't he build a one level ramp in the lot he already has, fix up Det Saturday Night, and make money from both structures?

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ht/2265624002/

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    Update from today. It's implied that since Moten fixed up the Ft. Shelby, he wants a free pass on this one. Getting pretty tired of the conventional wisdom that we should accept at least one historic building demolished in exchange for each one fixed up. Why can't he build a one level ramp in the lot he already has, fix up Det Saturday Night, and make money from both structures?

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ht/2265624002/
    Yeah, it's a ridiculous argument for Moten or anyone else to make. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the WBC developer helped push the city to demo the Lafayette Building since it was an eyesore from his structure. Absurd.

The area around the WBC drives me nuts. The Lafayette Building would undoubtedly be a beautiful, rehabbed building by now. Right across Shelby was a nice 2-3 story historic building that was demo'ed about six years ago for a parking lot by the Penobscot owner. And now, just a couple weeks ago, WaLa [[admittedly not historic) was demo'ed for a parking lot.

Could be a vibrant few blocks...now just an utter wasteland.

Not surprisingly the last night the HDC recommed saving the building. If you were wondering exactly how spaces this would create 22. That's right this only way he can come up with for 22 parking spaces to sell condos.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ct/2293566002/

This guy has a good track record, but tearing down a building for 22 PARKING SPACES should be criminal. Not just a building, but a solid building that can be rehabbed quickly.

Detroit DOES NOT NEED MORE PARKING. If he has the money, build a freaking ramp on your other parking lot. Absolutely ridiculous to even suggest a demolition for a parking lot with the amount of rehabs in the city now.

Is the city requiring them to provide x amount of parking spaces per unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Is the city requiring them to provide x amount of parking spaces per unit?
    No the city isn't. He already passed that barrier when he got the original development approved. The buyers of the condos are requiring it. I wouldn't buy a downtown Detroit condo without dedicated parking. It's still Detroit. It's Public transit still sucks. You still need a car to get where you need to go.

The building is saved! Well done to all who put in their two cents to help preserve this historic building.

https://www.facebook.com/Preservatio...type=3&theater

From the link above:
    "Safe for now!
    Detroit Saturday Night Building

Thanks to your comments to city council and your petition signatures, the Detroit Saturday Night building is safe! The owner, Emmett Moten, and city government are working to find an alternative use for the building, but we have received word from the city that they do not intend to allow demolition to the building. Thank you for your advocacy!"

Praise the lord, it would have been so dumb to take down one of the last remaining extremely old buildings on fort street. I guess city council does listen sometimes after all.

It's back on the docket for demolition.

https://www.facebook.com/HistoricDet...type=3&theater

From Historic Detroit Facebook

"URGENT preservation advocacy call to action: We thought the Detroit Saturday Night Building was spared. We were wrong.

The demolition issue is back before the City Council's Planning & Economic Development Committee at 10 a.m. tomorrow. If you can turn out to testify, please do!"

This Emmett Moten dude is really a piece of trash. It's like these old goons really want to destroy as much as they can before they kick the bucket.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast