Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

THANK YOU NICK CASTELLANOS

For calling out Comerica Park and giving his opinion of what it is - a joke of a baseball stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    THANK YOU NICK CASTELLANOS

For calling out Comerica Park and giving his opinion of what it is - a joke of a baseball stadium.

The Tigers don't have the personnel, to take advantage of the stadium. You need good to great pitching, good defense, and hitters that put the ball in play hitting singles, doubles, and triples and advancing runners. and team speed, for base stealing, you can win at Comerica. I understand fans want to see HR's, and most stadiums are band boxes, which is why HR's are being hit at a record pace.

I'm surprised the Tigers futility is not more of a national story. It really is reaching epic proportions. Because they got off to a decent start people look at their overall record and think they're just a little worse than Baltimore, KC, etc. The fact is they went 5-20 in June and, if they don't go 3-4 in their last 7, they will have an even worse July.

Welcome back VerHagen: allowed seven runs – six earned – on six hits. He walked four batters.....final blowout 10-2.

Most of us predicted this [[no surprise), but apparently some [[Mgt) leading the rebuild effort did not

Wonder if Rondon will also return.....carry-on.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Welcome back VerHagen: allowed seven runs – six earned – on six hits. He walked four batters.....final blowout 10-2.
    Somehow managing to put another positive spin on things, the Tigers website says, "VerHagen falters after strong start." The strong start being 2 shutout innings. Just when you think the bar can't get any lower, they dig a deeper hole for it.

In the grand scheme of sports popularity and changes in how people consume sports, this feels like a very bad time for Detroit to have a completely irrelevant baseball team, with very little hope for the future.

Castellanos & Greene dump: Lets face it - a couple of mediocre prospects to cut millions from the payroll & off the books.

Maybe they will start "giving away vehicles" [[again)?

Castellanos & Greene dump: Lets face it - a couple of mediocre prospects to cut millions from the payroll & off the books.

We just won a series over the Brad Ausmus Angels. All is good.

Better do something, they certainly do not have any baseball to sell. Don’t think it’s going to be much different next year.

This may be a record year for the Tigers. They have a chance of losing more than 119 games, their old record from 2003. They surely will lose more than 109, their previous record from 1996.

Coming after 2 seasons of 98 losses, they are building the basis for long term futility.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    Coming after 2 seasons of 98 losses, they are building the basis for long term futility.
    Every fan says this during a total rebuild. They have tons of pitching in the pipeline - Boyd, Turnbull, Mize, Manning, Skubal, Faedo, Burrows as well as guys like Castro, Funkhouser, etc. who will transition to the bullpen soon. They have an excellent defensive catcher with pop in Rogers, a solid 3rd baseman on the way in Paredes. A great looking 1st round pick in Greene plus a no. 1 or 2 pick next year. You can buy a couple of bats if needed and you're an over .500 team. Whether they will turn into a true contender nobody can predict, which true of Chicago, KC, Baltimore, Toronto and the other rebuilding teams.

If a team is going to be awful, this is the year to do it. The 2020 MLB draft is considered one of the strongest in years

I found the screen-snap below amusing. I have never seen a season anywhere near this where so many played for the Tigers. Among those, however, I find the return of Edwin Jackson a nice story in this unremarkable year. He is baseball's true journeyman, having played for 14 teams, and returning to the Tigers after ten years to pick up a couple of wins. Hopefully he is not enough to deny us the worst record and first round draft pick.

Name:  too many tigers.png
Views: 502
Size:  124.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Luke09 View Post
    If a team is going to be awful, this is the year to do it. The 2020 MLB draft is considered one of the strongest in years
    Losing for draft picks. How has that worked out for the Lions?

Losing for draft picks. How has that worked out for the Lions?
    Working very well.....fact: losers for 60+ years.

Another "total rebuild" illusion: Over 50% of current payroll going to just 3-players, 1 is former [[Cabrera, Zimmerman, & Fielder).

[QUOTE=Lowell;577858]I found the screen-snap below amusing. I have never seen a season anywhere near this where so many played for the Tigers. Among those, however, I find the return of Edwin Jackson a nice story in this unremarkable year. He is baseball's true journeyman, having played for 14 teams, and returning to the Tigers after ten years to pick up a couple of wins. Hopefully he is not enough to deny us the worst record and first round draft pick.
    /QUOTE]

The good news here is the Tigers probably don't need to beat out the Orioles for 1st pick. The Orioles top prospect, Ryan Mountcastle, is playing 1st base and the Orioles just drafted a catcher 1st last year. The Orioles need pitching and middle infield help. The Tigers want 1st baseman Spencer Torkelson, the top college hitter in the draft and the Orioles are unlikely to take him with the 1st pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I found the screen-snap below amusing. I have never seen a season anywhere near this where so many played for the Tigers. Among those, however, I find the return of Edwin Jackson a nice story in this unremarkable year. He is baseball's true journeyman, having played for 14 teams, and returning to the Tigers after ten years to pick up a couple of wins. Hopefully he is not enough to deny us the worst record and first round draft pick.

Name:  too many tigers.png
Views: 502
Size:  124.8 KB
    120 games in after last night.

Nobody has 50 RBI, Cabby got his 49th last night.

14 home runs leads the team. In a juiced-ball season.

Boyd leads with 6 pitching wins.

Yeesh.

Despite living 2,000 miles from Detroit, I get all the Tigers' games on the telly thanks to my baseball package with Cox Cable. Sad as this season is with a certain 100+ losses, I still find myself pulling for them each game. But as one fellow once said: "Ah, yes........"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    120 games in after last night.

Nobody has 50 RBI, Cabby got his 49th last night.

14 home runs leads the team. In a juiced-ball season.

Boyd leads with 6 pitching wins.

Yeesh.
    The big guy looks disinterested. Maybe he misses his girlfriend. He’s late on fastballs. I know he’s not a miniature ballerina type but he also looks a little overweight and not in top shape. Everybody knew that contract wasn’t going to end well.

To me the million dollar question is what the prognosis for next year?

Working very well.....fact: losers for 60+ years.

Another "total rebuild" illusion: Over 50% of current payroll going to just 3-players, 1 is former [[Cabrera, Zimmerman, & Fielder).
    You forgot the 8M we're paying for Verlander to win another Cy Young in Houston, thru 2020.

Me worries that in JV gets another Cy Young and another ring, he will go into the Hall as something other than a Detroit Tiger.

The big guy looks disinterested. Maybe he misses his girlfriend. He’s late on fastballs. I know he’s not a miniature ballerina type but he also looks a little overweight and not in top shape. Everybody knew that contract wasn’t going to end well.

To me the million dollar question is what the prognosis for next year?
    Cabrera's knee problems are chronic. He's only going to get worse as he ages and puts more strain on it. He has no power because between the knee and hip issues he's unable to stride and use the lower body to generate power. The fact that he's leading the league in avg. with runners in scoring position is impressive. Of course the fact his rbi's are so low is a result of so few runners on base for him and the fact that he's only hitting singles and bringing them in one at a time.

I've got a tough question....who wins the 'Tiger of the Year' award ? I can only come up with one answer...us, the fans.

How about Tigers PA announcer Jim Allen, who is battling cancer.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/detroit-ti...stage-4-cancer

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Cabrera's knee problems are chronic. He's only going to get worse as he ages and puts more strain on it. He has no power because between the knee and hip issues he's unable to stride and use the lower body to generate power. The fact that he's leading the league in avg. with runners in scoring position is impressive. Of course the fact his rbi's are so low is a result of so few runners on base for him and the fact that he's only hitting singles and bringing them in one at a time.
    I’m no MD but I would bet if he lost some weight it might help his knee and hip issues.

I’m no MD but I would bet if he lost some weight it might help his knee and hip issues.
    I think it's in his contract though that as long as he agrees to DH he gets unlimited cheetos in the dugout.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast