Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I know they’ve exceeded expectations and the pitching has been pretty damm good but there has to be big concern about Cabrera’s loss of power. There not paying him to be a big lumbering, base clogging, 300 average singles hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I know they’ve exceeded expectations and the pitching has been pretty damm good but there has to be big concern about Cabrera’s loss of power. There not paying him to be a big lumbering, base clogging, 300 average singles hitter.
    They're paying him for past performance. The next few years are to clog up the DH slot ala VMart. They're just paying him twice as much to do it. We've known since the ridiculous extension was given this was coming.
    Last edited by 401don; May-11-19 at 06:46 AM.

Don't understand Goodman batting clean-up. I think the top of the lineup should look this way....

Goodman
    Rodriquez
    Cabrera
    Castellanos
    Candelaria

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Don't understand Goodman batting clean-up. I think the top of the lineup should look this way....

Goodman
    Rodriquez
    Cabrera
    Castellanos
    Candelaria
    GoodRUM led off last night. It didn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    GoodRUM led off last night. It didn't matter.
    Lol....thanks ! That was the only name the spellchecker didn't try to correct.

Too many swings at high fastballs out of the strike zone.

They're paying him for past performance. The next few years are to clog up the DH slot ala VMart. They're just paying him twice as much to do it. We've known since the ridiculous extension was given this was coming.
    Well yeah, we all know he was awarded that huge contract on the basis of past performance, not sure anybody saw the power shut off coming this quickly.

Well yeah, we all know he was awarded that huge contract on the basis of past performance, not sure anybody saw the power shut off coming this quickly.
    He's late on fastballs and trying to cheat on breaking balls because the bat speed isn't there anymore. You can spend all the time you want in the weight room but that doesn't mean a thing. Some guys lose it quickly and Miggy's injury history isn't helping. That being said, he can still be productive as a singles hitter. He's been very clutch with runners in scoring position this year but he shouldn't be hitting in the 3 or 4 spot and probably wouldn't if this team had any offense.

It's not only physical.....mental is also a key ingredient, as well:

Cabrera is contesting a Florida judge's $20,000-a-month child support order, calling it "grossly inflated" and a "windfall" for the mother, whom he has long portrayed as a "gold-digger" trying to cash in on his wealth. Cabrera believes $13,000 a month is more appropriate, and sufficient for the children's needs, according to court documents. The girl is 3; the boy 6.

I would suspect that Miggy's personal problems are not really helping, either.

That aside, if they end up at .500 come October I'd say it was a decent season. Hey, a hot dog and a couple of beers at the ball park, and who really cares who wins?

I heard on 97.1 the Tigers are running some kind of June stadium pass promotion. $30.00 gets you a ticket to all 15 home games in June. That’s what 97.1 said, not me. Tigers got to be pretty hard up for fans to let you in the park for 2 bucks.

Tigers got to be pretty hard up for fans to let you in the park for 2 bucks.
    I'd fork over a couple bucks to see these guys.

Having gone thru 9 years of ZERO MLB Championship, when there should have easily been at least ONE?. Boy, that hurts.

Look for ZERO trading come the Trade Deadline. There has been a "new" rule about finalizing rosters by End Of July?

Castellanos is being shopped around.

Goodrum... eh, he's pretty clutch, but "pretty" isn't good enough.

Farmer?

Rodriguez?

Norris?

Well, COPA is getting to be an old ballpark.

Injuries have already begun to set in.

It is going to get pretty ugly.

Selah. It may not be until 2023 before we can all enjoy an over-crowded stadium and waiting the next Home-Run.

In the meantime... GO TIGER'S!

I heard on 97.1 the Tigers are running some kind of June stadium pass promotion. $30.00 gets you a ticket to all 15 home games in June. That’s what 97.1 said, not me. Tigers got to be pretty hard up for fans to let you in the park for 2 bucks.
    The people who take advantage of this are probably the young people who hang out in right field drinking $10 beers and socializing. Think of it as a cover charge.

Local Eagles & local bar trying to get customers to buy tickets [[bus, etc) for annual Tigers trip.....still trying.

Good day for Chris Ilitch all the way around. Tigers, before another miniscule crowd on a nice day, blow the lead in the 9th and get swept by the Marlins, the worst team in MLB. Ronny Rodriguez, who can't ever transfer the ball from his glove to his throwing hand, blows a tailor-made double play ball. Dawel Lugo also makes crucial error in the 9th. Shane Green gives up grand slam. All runs unearned. Homestand ends 0-9.
    For those not following this team lately - 6 batters in yesterday's line-up hitting below .200. Miggy still has one home run.

Good day for Chris Ilitch all the way around. Tigers, before another miniscule crowd on a nice day, blow the lead in the 9th and get swept by the Marlins, the worst team in MLB. Ronny Rodriguez, who can't ever transfer the ball from his glove to his throwing hand, blows a tailor-made double play ball. Dawel Lugo also makes crucial error in the 9th. Shane Green gives up grand slam. All runs unearned. Homestand ends 0-9.
    For those not following this team lately - 6 batters in yesterday's line-up hitting below .200. Miggy still has one home run.

Miggy has been a major disappointment, to say the least. He's dangerously close to not achieving 500 HR's and 3,000 hits. He seemed like a virtual lock 3-5 years ago.

Anyone see the actual "plan" for the rebuild? Did they start w/the infield first, outfield, pitching staff? Whatever you call this failed disaster -- it'z not working? Oh, paycheck collecting.....nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Anyone see the actual "plan" for the rebuild? Did they start w/the infield first, outfield, pitching staff? Whatever you call this failed disaster -- it'z not working? Oh, paycheck collecting.....nice.
    I agree, it’s a bit of a mystery. Seems like it begins and ends with this Mize guy down in AA. Hope Avila knows what he’s doing.....

The problem with the lack of high level prospects goes back to the Dombrowski era. And, no, it's not just because he traded prospects for proven players under the "win now" directive.
    In baseball, many players are acquired in the later rounds of the draft. The Tigers have been terrible in drafting, particularly position players. This is Dombrowski, Avila and David Chadd's [[Director of Scouting) responsibility. They also had a poor record of signing international players. Dombrowski drafted pitchers almost exclusively with his 1st round picks. They are high reward but also high risk.
    You never start with the infield, etc. You draft the best player available. Most can be moved around if they're a good athlete and can hit. The problem this year is not with the Tigers, which have been decimated by injuries, it's that Cameron, Paredes and the few other position prospects due in 1 or 2 years are not hitting in the minors and the Tigers have virtually no power at any level. Fortunately, the best 5 draft picks this year are all position players so the Tigers will get a bat, but that guy will be 3 years away.

Will they offer free tickets or free beer first to get people to come watch them play?

After struggling 6-years w/an ERA of 5.76 & WAR of -0.8, isn't it time to release ole Bucky Farmboy before we hear another? "It's gone".....

After struggling 6-years w/an ERA of 5.76 & WAR of -0.8, isn't it time to release ole Bucky Farmboy before we hear another? "It's gone".....
    There's this guy in Toledo ready to replace him - Drew Ver something?

One thing I can't stand to watch as a baseball fan is poor infield play, and we're simply pathetic.

Miggy has a knee problem, and I had to laugh at one of the comments after the article...."Dammit ! I had June 14th in the pool !!"

One thing I can't stand to watch as a baseball fan is poor infield play, and we're simply pathetic.

Miggy has a knee problem, and I had to laugh at one of the comments after the article...."Dammit ! I had June 14th in the pool !!"
    Lowell has to re-work the DetroitYes site to include a "like" button like Facebook.

Wonder what happens to all that expired stadium food & beer, since nobody is attending.....didn't hear of any "free donations" to the needy?

This team was going to be bad, everyone knew that, but I've never seen a season where the entire starting infield, [[Candelario, Mercer, Harrison & Miggy) are injured. Not to mention 4 of 5 starting pitchers. Minor leaguers, who aren't very good to begin with, are being asked to play out of position. In short, it's a mess.
    One more sobering statistic. Miggy leads the Tigers in rbi's. If he was on the Twins, he'd be 8th.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast