Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default 2019 Detroit Tigers

The first log has been tossed into the 2019 Tigers hot stove league fire with the signing of free agent journeyman and lefty starter Matt Moore. So that's cause for starting the 2019 Detroit Tigers thread.

Already the speculation is that the Tigers are hoping that this low end free agent [a one year $2-3M contract] will become the next Mike Fiers, which will allow the Tigers to dump him off for more young talent.

One thing is certain. This makes it clear that the Tigers are not going for it this year.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...re/2126848002/

Baseball-Reference.com stats
    One big 17-4 season, otherwise a mediocre sub-.500 W-L and +5.00 ERA career.

According to Lynn Henning, it could be a while before the Tigers return to glory. Interesting read: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ne/2068650002/

I don't care for Fenech all that much but his article about the Moore signing made pretty good sense
    https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...ng/2142878002/

Best case, he returns or comes near his form before his TJ surgery. Very unlikely.

Likely case, he's better than his awful stats last year and they have a lefty that can either be in the rotation or in the bullpen and chew up some innings.

Worst case, he's as bad as he was last year.

Bottom line, at $2.5m, he can be traded if he pitches well, he can fit in and chew up some innings if he's average/not-awful, or he can be cut with minimal impact if he really is as bad as he pitched last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQv3G-Myshc

I love the look of this kid's atheticism and compact, quick switch-hitting stroke. He even bunted for a hit in the video. Tigers have lots of mediocre shortstop prospects but only Willi Castro looks like he could stick at the position. Most good position players are coming out of the Caribbean, not the draft.

I have no idea what the Tigers are doing. They’re letting Alex Wilson go right when their bullpen was looking a little more promising. Hoping they have some plan in mind. It’s going to be a long season with lots of empty seats and cheap tickets.

A lot of good players were non-tendered including Fiers by the A's. So many better pitchers the Tigers could have signed than Moore for about the same money.

Surprised they kept Norris, very?

Take a look at the body on Paredes now. Keep in mind he's 19 years old. He's definitely going to end up at 1st, 3rd or the outfield, not the middle infield.

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2018/12...edes-prospects
    Last edited by 401don; December-02-18 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Surprised they kept Norris, very?
    Not at all. He is still young and has "potential"

I'm very sad with the things going on with Tigers right now... following the news but I don't see anything positive just talks about players with big "potential"

Quote Originally Posted by barrah View Post
    I'm very sad with the things going on with Tigers right now... following the news but I don't see anything positive just talks about players with big "potential"
    We'll be in rebuild mode for the next 4-5 years. Any positive news is just spin. Wish they would own the rebuild like the 76ers did with "The Process" a few years ago. Then again, Philly has much better fans than Detroit. Looking forward to cheap tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by barrah View Post
    The "potential" is just an ingredient in the "Kool Aid" they want the fans to drink, over & over......[[want proof: TigerFest).
    Last edited by Smirnoff; December-06-18 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    We'll be in rebuild mode for the next 4-5 years. Any positive news is just spin. Wish they would own the rebuild like the 76ers did with "The Process" a few years ago. Then again, Philly has much better fans than Detroit. Looking forward to cheap tickets.
    Oh yes, of course, especially Eagles fans - they’re quite charming.

Yep, we have a HFC chanting smoke/mirrors while he is trying to "Respect the Process".....
    Last edited by Smirnoff; December-06-18 at 03:07 PM.

I think 2-3 more years in rebuild mode is much more likely. The next two years will feature a lot of current prospects coming up from the minors, two more years of high draft picks, and the expiration of all free agent salary commitments other than Miggy.

Two years from now, the Tigers should have a very low payroll, a number of young quality players on the major league team, and a well stocked farm system.

It is quite likely that they will begin pursuing free agents and making moves to improve the big league club either at that point, or one year later.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    I think 2-3 more years in rebuild mode is much more likely.
    I hope so!

The problem that the Tigers will face in going through an all-out rebuild is that they'll be competing with more teams than ever trying the same strategy.

In the past, you'd have a few top-tier teams, a lot of middle ground teams and a handful of teams in full out rebuild mode. Now it seems less teams are satisfied in the middle ground, so you have more teams than ever trying to tear it down and start over. The Tigers have already been bitten by this the past couple of seasons as the trade deadline is now a buyers market. So, they won't have as many good draft picks stockpiled, and they'll be in competition to accumulate prospects. It means that they can't afford to miss on the high draft picks.

A few years ago, Houston drafted Kevin Appel either first or second. He bombed, but because they had so many other picks, they were still just fine. In today's market, teams aren't going to accumulate the same number of picks, so that type of miss would have far greater impact on a team in rebuild mode. Let's just hope that the front office and the scouting department know what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    The problem that the Tigers will face in going through an all-out rebuild is that they'll be competing with more teams than ever trying the same strategy.

In the past, you'd have a few top-tier teams, a lot of middle ground teams and a handful of teams in full out rebuild mode. Now it seems less teams are satisfied in the middle ground, so you have more teams than ever trying to tear it down and start over. The Tigers have already been bitten by this the past couple of seasons as the trade deadline is now a buyers market. So, they won't have as many good draft picks stockpiled, and they'll be in competition to accumulate prospects. It means that they can't afford to miss on the high draft picks.

A few years ago, Houston drafted Kevin Appel either first or second. He bombed, but because they had so many other picks, they were still just fine. In today's market, teams aren't going to accumulate the same number of picks, so that type of miss would have far greater impact on a team in rebuild mode. Let's just hope that the front office and the scouting department know what they're doing.
    You can't trade draft picks in baseball [[other than compensatory ones) so how exactly is there competition to accumulate them?

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Let's just hope that the front office and the scouting department know what they're doing.
    Must be kidding - they do not!

Attendance
    2008: 3,202,645
    2017: 2,321,599
    2018: 1,856,970
    2019: [[LOWER)

It has to be kind of a lonely world for Miggy this year. Put yourself in his shoes. It will be interesting to see how he responds with all the old glory days gang gone.

With all the new aspiring faces around him and a management with no intention of competing how will he respond? Will he be an Albert Pujols who just keeps playing the game at a relatively high level or will just kick back and punch the clock with the expectation that he too will be dealt even if the team has to eat some of his salary?

Well, hopefully $30+ million dollars for the next five years can soften Miggy's loneliness a little bit. I think his body is pretty broken down at this point, so playing at a high level might be out of his hands.

Another journeyman starter has been signed as the if-we-kiss-enough-frogs-maybe-we'll-find-a-prince strategy continues.

The Tigers signed right-hander Tyson Ross to a one-year deal on the first day of Major League Baseball's annual Winter Meetings.

The deal is worth $5.75 million, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

He has a decent career ERA of 3.95 that has drifted upward in recent years. https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...rossty01.shtml

Jordy Mercer about to be signed for short according to MLB Network. Also plays 2nd so a good fit if they want to give some playing time to one of the prospects later in the season.

Merry Christmas to Anibal Sanchez. 3 years of era's of 5 with the Tigers at 20 million per year, goes to Atlanta and parlays a 2.83 era into a 2 yr./$19 million deal with the Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Merry Christmas to Anibal Sanchez. 3 years of era's of 5 with the Tigers at 20 million per year, goes to Atlanta and parlays a 2.83 era into a 2 yr./$19 million deal with the Nationals.
    Boy, I'll say. I thought he was done, a few years back.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast