Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Boy, I'll say. I thought he was done, a few years back.
    And along those same lines, Joakim Soria with his 4.09 era last year gets 15 million/2 yrs from the Oakland A's of all teams. Waiting for the signings of Rodney and Benoit!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    And along those same lines, Joakim Soria with his 4.09 era last year gets 15 million/2 yrs from the Oakland A's of all teams. Waiting for the signings of Rodney and Benoit!
    Please don't say Valverde is then next?

HARD pass on those season tickets

Default Matt Shepard hired as Detroit Tigers TV play-by-play announcer

So it will be Matt Shepard doing the play by play with Gibbie and Morris alternating as color.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/sports...play-announcer

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    So it will be Matt Shepard doing the play by play with Gibbie and Morris alternating as color.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/sports...play-announcer
    Get ready for a boring telecast....

ZZZZzzzz..........wha?

Matt Shepard is dull but Gibson is awful. It's not the monotone voice, which is understandable, it's the excruciating detail which he repeats the entire game about one tiny facet of play combined with the ridiculous attempts at humor about the next full moon. At least living out of town and getting MLB Extra Innings, I only have to watch them on home games.

The contrast between the radio team and the TV team is incredible.

For those who keep asking.....

Freep Today: Detroit Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera's off-field fiasco has finally come to an end as a Florida judge has ordered him to pay $20,000 a month in child support to an ex-mistress he fathered two children with and pay off her nearly $1 million mansion by July.

According to Florida court documents obtained by the Free Press, the Detroit slugger must also pay for health care, private tuition, day care, extra-curricular activities and vacations for the two children.This is on top of the $20,000 a month he will pay their mother, Belkis Rodriguez, who lives in a gated community in Orlando with the children. Cabrera must also pay for the woman's attorney fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    For those who keep asking.....

Freep Today: Detroit Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera's off-field fiasco has finally come to an end as a Florida judge has ordered him to pay $20,000 a month in child support to an ex-mistress he fathered two children with and pay off her nearly $1 million mansion by July.

According to Florida court documents obtained by the Free Press, the Detroit slugger must also pay for health care, private tuition, day care, extra-curricular activities and vacations for the two children.This is on top of the $20,000 a month he will pay their mother, Belkis Rodriguez, who lives in a gated community in Orlando with the children. Cabrera must also pay for the woman's attorney fees.
    Yikes! I’m aware he can afford it but he’s not getting off cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Yikes! I’m aware he can afford it but he’s not getting off cheap.
    If he takes one year of his 30 mill salary and invests it at 4% the interest will be 100,000 per month. That's more than double what he needs to pay for all his transgressions. I think he'll be okay.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...rk/2657704002/

I'm sure this was inevitable, but I guess we've reached the point in society where you can't even attend a simple baseball game without everyone knowing everything about you. I'm sure the Tigers and MLB won't sell your information to anyone either. I sure hope Comerica's internet access is better than Ford Field, and please make sure your phone is fully charged before attending. I'll repeat it again...just put the chip in my forearm, scan my retina, and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...rk/2657704002/

I'm sure this was inevitable, but I guess we've reached the point in society where you can't even attend a simple baseball game without everyone knowing everything about you. I'm sure the Tigers and MLB won't sell your information to anyone either. I sure hope Comerica's internet access is better than Ford Field, and please make sure your phone is fully charged before attending. I'll repeat it again...just put the chip in my forearm, scan my retina, and be done with it.
    We knew this was coming when they installed it at LCA this year. I buy all my tickets on Stubhub, which is fine for baseball because they have a relationship with MLB. However, the Wings and Pistons do not. I have had a problem with my Data not working when I cross the border the past year. I called LCA and they said if you buy from Stubhub you'll be out of luck if your phone doesn't work. Nice! I would also say there's a lot more seniors without smartphones who go to ball games. They will have to line up at a window to get their tickets printed before entering Comerica Park.

QUESTION: If nobody wanted Castellanos at $6-million last season, why would they want him at $10-million?????

BTW: Avila mentioned they can start spending "some" money in 3-4 years, that should really help market ticket sales, right.....also, still strong underground rumor[[s) Tigers are for sale.
    Last edited by Smirnoff; January-24-19 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    BTW: Avila mentioned they can start spending "some" money in 3-4 years, that should really help market ticket sales, right.....also, still strong underground rumor[[s) Tigers are for sale.
    I heard that interview, kind of scary - sounded like that guy didn’t give a shit. Knee jerk reaction is Mr I’s kids don’t give a shit either. Seems like SEVERAL years of non-revelent baseball is in the offing.

I heard that interview, kind of scary - sounded like that guy didn’t give a shit. Knee jerk reaction is Mr I’s kids don’t give a shit either. Seems like SEVERAL years of non-revelent baseball is in the offing.
    Actually Avila said 2021 or 2 which is 2 to 3 years. Where would you like the Tigers to spend money? They could have gone out and spent 10 million for a one year contract to a veteran 2nd baseman or catcher but what would that do? They need to see at what position they will need to spend money once the rookies have played a year or two. Will Rogers be the everyday catcher? Will Paredes play 3rd or will Candelario be fine and Paredes will move to 1st or a corner outfield spot? Will Castro or Perez by the everyday shortstop? Will Cameron be the center fielder for sure? Will they need a left handed starter? Until you know your position needs there is no sense overpaying a veteran to play on a last place team when you don't even know where to put him. Just relax and enjoy watching how Stewart and Candelario this year and Cameron and a couple of the starters do next year. I also plan several short trips to watch the Seawolves and Mudhens.

Although a subjective list, it sure didn't fill me with confidence when the Tigers only had 3 players on the top 100 minor league prospect list.

It would be a very positive development for the Tigers if Miggy could stay healthy this year and return to hitting form. When he's himself, he's worth the price of admission. JD Martinez learned a lot about hitting from Miggy, and maybe some of our younger prospects would too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Although a subjective list, it sure didn't fill me with confidence when the Tigers only had 3 players on the top 100 minor league prospect list.

It would be a very positive development for the Tigers if Miggy could stay healthy this year and return to hitting form. When he's himself, he's worth the price of admission. JD Martinez learned a lot about hitting from Miggy, and maybe some of our younger prospects would too.
    Keep in mind about 60 of those guys were pitchers so that's only about 40, or one per team, position players. I think when MLB's top 100 comes out tomorrow there's a good chance Paredes and Cameron are on it. But you are correct. The Tigers desperately need a couple of impact players. Not just bats, but all around studs who can hit 3 & 4 and play defense.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Actually Avila said 2021 or 2 which is 2 to 3 years. Where would you like the Tigers to spend money? They could have gone out and spent 10 million for a one year contract to a veteran 2nd baseman or catcher but what would that do? They need to see at what position they will need to spend money once the rookies have played a year or two. Will Rogers be the everyday catcher? Will Paredes play 3rd or will Candelario be fine and Paredes will move to 1st or a corner outfield spot? Will Castro or Perez by the everyday shortstop? Will Cameron be the center fielder for sure? Will they need a left handed starter? Until you know your position needs there is no sense overpaying a veteran to play on a last place team when you don't even know where to put him. Just relax and enjoy watching how Stewart and Candelario this year and Cameron and a couple of the starters do next year. I also plan several short trips to watch the Seawolves and Mudhens.
    I have no idea where they should spend their money, didn’t sound like the general manager did either. I thought I heard him talking about 2022 or 2023 - that’s a long wait. Doesn’t seem like the ownership has the same desire to win that they did when the senior Mr. I was alive.

I have no idea where they should spend their money, didn’t sound like the general manager did either. I thought I heard him talking about 2022 or 2023 - that’s a long wait. Doesn’t seem like the ownership has the same desire to win that they did when the senior Mr. I was alive.
    Chris Ilitch will not spend like his father and you can't blame him. That was a 10 yr. period from 2006-16 when Mike tried to buy a World Series before his passing by spending an extra 75 million per year without a core of young players from the farm system. It almost worked. The Tigers current payroll of 125 million because of the legacy cost of that effort is more than other teams spend during a rebuild. Once Zimmerman's contract is done next year expect the Tigers to spend 125-140 million per year, which is where it should be for this market. The good news is teams are all spending less on free agents now so you should get more bang for your buck.

^^ All great points. Hopefully this down period won't last as long as the early 2000's.

Trout gets 430 million/12 years. Now we're talking $$$.

How many titles do the Angels need to win to make that contract worthwhile? Because paying someone almost $40 million in their late 30s seems like a bad time.

Fulmer needs Tommy John. Betweeen the elbow and 3 knee surgeries his career may be done.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast