Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Bye Bye Hard Rock

First Chelli's then Hard Rock Cafe! PITIFUL!!! Where they are going to move to? Great Lakes Crossing Mall!!!

I don't think anyone is surprised.They are well past their expired date as the latest cool new entry downtown and there's a lot more burger/ bar competition. Still, I wonder how much is due to slow business and how much to rising rent. Gilbert still has a lot of storefronts to fill and he already pushed out Angelina's and now this.

Was just out east last week and noticed one out there. I'm surprised they lasted this long.

The Hard Rock always seemed like a better fit for Illitchtown than Gilbertown. Gilbertown is much more geared to locals [[both workers and residents of MetroDetroit).

The Hard Rock brand appeals more towards out of town visitors, who are not as familiar with the better restaurant options in Downtown. Maybe Hard Rock could reopen in Illitch’s Bloomfield Park South development at Henry and Park.

Company reps say they're looking for alternate locations in Detroit. That is absolute prime real estate. They'll either fill it quickly, or they'll wait for the right tenant.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    The Hard Rock always seemed like a better fit for Illitchtown than Gilbertown. Gilbertown is much more geared to locals [[both workers and residents of MetroDetroit).

The Hard Rock brand appeals more towards out of town visitors, who are not as familiar with the better restaurant options in Downtown. Maybe Hard Rock could reopen in Illitch’s Bloomfield Park South development at Henry and Park.
    I agree. Is the Foxtown Grille space still open? That would be perfect for Hard Rock.

I go to Texas de Brazil often and it’s always packed so it’s obviously not the location. Could be rent, could be that it’s too bland for Detroit. IDK

I have worked in that building since 2010 and have been there maybe a handful of times.

I think that Hard Rock Cafe should move to Midtown in one of the newly renovated storefronts along Woodward or inside LCA. If not, maybe into one of the strip mall along Jefferson close to downtown. Maybe Jefferson and CHENE where Luckys was

oh well. nice while it lasted I guess. what will be done with the big guitar? And I guess the memorabilia will go elsewhere?

Going inside LCA would be a death knell... zero visitors on non game days.

It would be nice to see them take over the Chelios Chili location... I've been to several Hard Rock locations, [[Paris and London included) and no two are alike. Midtown [[Woodward frontage) would also be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    oh well. nice while it lasted I guess. what will be done with the big guitar? And I guess the memorabilia will go elsewhere?
    The big guitar and all the memorabilia will go back to their warehouse in Orlando. Here's a good article about that: http://www.vh1.com/news/51401/inside...rabilia-vault/

Never, ever even thought of going. That doesn’t make me a snob, just an oldish fool who would never desire to see signed toilet seats hung up and framed.

I don’t understand the concept.

It’s not like Robert Palmer or even Wally Palmer is going to be at the next table asking to use your salt shaker. What is so hard or rocking about the place?

Since I sound so crabby, can someone convince me the place was cool with killer burgers or something?

I've wondered about the viability of Hard Rock in the future. People don't listen to rock music as much. I don't think the appeal of eating a mediocre burger while Metallica blares over the speakers is as appealing as it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    zero visitors on non game days.

Close to zero visitors ON game days....

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Never, ever even thought of going. That doesn’t make me a snob, just an oldish fool who would never desire to see signed toilet seats hung up and framed.

I don’t understand the concept.

It’s not like Robert Palmer or even Wally Palmer is going to be at the next table asking to use your salt shaker. What is so hard or rocking about the place?

Since I sound so crabby, can someone convince me the place was cool with killer burgers or something?
    I went to one years ago @ the height of it's popularity. [[families walking around in t-shirts, leather jackets, etc. "Hard Rock Cafe -London") to see what all the brew-ha-ha was about. The fare was corporate chain-store, over priced, mediocre, and clientele was more interested in purchasing souvenirs then what they were eating. Remember "Rain Forest Cafe"? Another disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I went to one years ago @ the height of it's popularity. [[families walking around in t-shirts, leather jackets, etc. "Hard Rock Cafe -London") to see what all the brew-ha-ha was about. The fare was corporate chain-store, over priced, mediocre, and clientele was more interested in purchasing souvenirs then what they were eating. Remember "Rain Forest Cafe"? Another disappointment.
    They seem to do well in tourist area-downtown Toronto, Niagara Falls, etc. Not sure if others have closed but they may be going the way of ESPN Zone and Planet Hollywood. I agree with the other post that the Foxtown Grille would be the best space - visible and close to the arena and Comerica. Would Ilitch let them have it though and compete with his LCA rests.?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Only remember "Top of the Flame".

It seems as if many have closed in destination cities recently..Toronto, Cleveland, Minneapolis, St Louis, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and many many others are all gone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Rock_Cafe

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Illitch’s Bloomfield Park South development at Henry and Park.
    lol....fcuk yea. complete with a 2-story menards please

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    It seems as if many have closed in destination cities recently..Toronto, Cleveland, Minneapolis, St Louis, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and many many others are all gone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Rock_Cafe
    Agreed, a long list for sure. The last 10 years, the last 20 years, a history of shuddering properties. There are several opening up as well.

It seems that people, tourist or local, are now looking for a more authentic local take on restaurants, except, of course, Cheesecake Factory...

Hard rock Cafe came to Detroit as a sign of the city's downtown coming back. This was before Dan Gilbert came on the scene to purchase all of the buildings. Hard Rock prices were not too high. I could get a burger combo or Nacho salad for a reasonable price. Detroit is the only city where Hard Rock is being priced out of it's location. Just like Planet Fitness, Hard Rock will be hard pressed to find another location in the city due to those in city government who I feel make it hard for any famous national chain retail or restaurant to do business in the city. Restoration Hardware wanted to be downtown and didn't have enough space. They still looking for space after 3 years. Biggby on Livernois is still past due for opening. The target date was to be in April but it's December and Biggby is still waiting on that final inspection.

Get a Dick's Last Resort!

I think tourists [[and curious locals) would love it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast