Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Police call boxes.

Great old photo from the mid 1940's of a couple of Detroit beat cops making their hourly "pull" to the precinct station. The box was the only link between them and assistance in the days before portable radios [[c. 1965). Most coppers ALWAYS carried a nickle to use a pay phone in an emergency.
    Attachment 37049

The Gamewell system of call boxes began in the 1880's, preceded by Gamewell's installation of Fire Alarm boxes some twenty years before that. Here's a great shot of call box use in D.C. before 1920. I think the officer is realizing that someone stole his bottle he had rat-holed.......
    Attachment 37050

I have a Detroit call box in my garage that I picked up some years ago. Brings back memories every time I look at it.
    Attachment 37051

Great photos Ray. I remember seeing those as a kid. I notice the lock on the last photo. Were they usually locked? Did every cop carry the same key?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Great old photo from the mid 1940's of a couple of Detroit beat cops making their hourly "pull" to the precinct station. The box was the only link between them and assistance in the days before portable radios [[c. 1965). Most coppers ALWAYS carried a nickle to use a pay phone in an emergency.
    Attachment 37049

The Gamewell system of call boxes began in the 1880's, preceded by Gamewell's installation of Fire Alarm boxes some twenty years before that. Here's a great shot of call box use in D.C. before 1920. I think the officer is realizing that someone stole his bottle he had rat-holed.......
    Attachment 37050

I have a Detroit call box in my garage that I picked up some years ago. Brings back memories every time I look at it.
    Attachment 37051

Great photos, Ray. I remember the call boxes and the fire alarm pulls. Always appreciate your posts. Were those call boxes 4G?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Great photos Ray. I remember seeing those as a kid. I notice the lock on the last photo. Were they usually locked? Did every cop carry the same key?
    Always locked. Everyone had the same key. Honky Tonk, there were several variations of the Gamewell boxes depending on the year. I couldn't say what model numbers they were.

Attachment 37052
    Last edited by Ray1936; November-28-18 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Great photos, Ray. I remember the call boxes and the fire alarm pulls. Always appreciate your posts. Were those call boxes 4G?
    They were LTE for sure. Think it also had a hotspot feature if I'm not mistaken.

"ratholed a bottle" I need a like button for that, Ray.
    Love the photos too.