Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Avenue of Fashion

How many feel that the Avenue of Fashion is still not meeting it's great potential as being a major walkable shopping destination such as Ferndale, Royal Oak, Grosse Pointe, and Birmingham? The Ave is bordered by two to three middle class communities such as Sherwood Forest, Palmer Woods, and Green Acres but the many of the stores on the strip don't attract those in the surrounding communities but cater to those from elsewhere? I know that there is one or two developers who are trying to put something on the strip but I feel that there need to be more

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    How many feel that the Avenue of Fashion is still not meeting it's great potential as being a major walkable shopping destination such as Ferndale, Royal Oak, Grosse Pointe, and Birmingham? The Ave is bordered by two to three middle class communities such as Sherwood Forest, Palmer Woods, and Green Acres but the many of the stores on the strip don't attract those in the surrounding communities but cater to those from elsewhere? I know that there is one or two developers who are trying to put something on the strip but I feel that there need to be more
    That stretch of Livernois has improved a bit over the past 10-15 years, but it isn't clear to me what the future of those types of retail strips really is. When I was a kid, we walked to Livernois to shop. Nowadays, if they aren't shopping online, people drive to shop, and once they are in the car it isn't much harder to go to Meijer's than it is to go to Mike's Fresh Market or the Good Housekeeping store. And there's not really a lot of exciting shopping on the street. There are some boutiques, but as far as I can tell the most popular businesses on Livernois now are restaurants. There could be more of those.

Yeah, they still have a long way to go. The sidewalks are messed up and they are still a number of vacant properties in the main shopping blocks. It will take some time.

Remember the Waymark Little House of Pancakes?

I see that Biggby had finally open it's doors on Livernois just south of 7 mile

Quote Originally Posted by Shopgirl View Post
    Yeah, they still have a long way to go. The sidewalks are messed up and they are still a number of vacant properties in the main shopping blocks. It will take some time.
    I had thought that there were money set aside and a plan in place back in 2014 or so to repave the sidewalks along the strip. What had happened to those plans?

From what I understand even if you want to shop at any of those places they have unpredictable hours, somethings the stores are open sometimes they’re not. Looks like mostly shitty retail to me anyway.

Detroit still suffers from the problems of an extremely long permitting process, as well as high shrinkage rates, a huge labor force that can't even pass a drug test and ridiculously high insurance rates.

On top of being in an era where retailers aren't expanding into areas that aren't high growth and/or high income, the aforementioned issues make doing business in the city seem very unattractive.

Meijer makes it work only because they're a volume-based retailer that sells stuff at discounted prices, and even they can only run successful stores in Detroit with a format unique to Detroit's challenges.

The referenced suburban corridors don't have much retail these days, though. How many retailers are in, say, Ferndale?

Avenue of Fashion would probably only revitalize with restaurants, but Ferndale has a crapload just to the north [[and is safer, better located and more established) and downtown has most of the destination restaurants.

Also, everyone mentions the neighborhoods to the east [[which are indeed quite nice and prosperous) but forgets the other side. Neighborhoods west of Livernois are [[generally speaking) horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The referenced suburban corridors don't have much retail these days, though. How many retailers are in, say, Ferndale?

Avenue of Fashion would probably only revitalize with restaurants, but Ferndale has a crapload just to the north [[and is safer, better located and more established) and downtown has most of the destination restaurants.

Also, everyone mentions the neighborhoods to the east [[which are indeed quite nice and prosperous) but forgets the other side. Neighborhoods west of Livernois are [[generally speaking) horrible.
    The neighborhoods to the immediate west aren’t horrible at all. That’s the University of Detroit Jesuit High School area.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    The neighborhoods to the immediate west aren’t horrible at all. That’s the University of Detroit Jesuit High School area.
    I would definitely disagree. Neighborhoods west of Livernois, are, generally speaking, awful. Tons of abandonment, extremely low property values, extremely high crime.

Not sure what U of D high has to do with anything. You can have a good school within a bad neighborhood. Cass was in the middle of skid row for a half century.

it has yet to be seen what will be built at the corner of Livernois/7 Mile. residential/retail combo, likely. hopefully the businesses there will be allowed to stay.

There are no businesses there now. ETA There are no businesses where the project on the corner is.
    Last edited by oliverdouglas; December-24-18 at 10:07 AM. Reason: clarity

If you seriously think the Bagley neighborhood is bad you're a moron it's obvious you've clearly never been there. And there are businesses up and down Livernois to say there isn't is a complete lie. More businesses are opening it's just taking some time.

So I personally like the messed up sudewalks😎

I would definitely disagree. Neighborhoods west of Livernois, are, generally speaking, awful. Tons of abandonment, extremely low property values, extremely high crime.

Not sure what U of D high has to do with anything. You can have a good school within a bad neighborhood. Cass was in the middle of skid row for a half century.
    You’re definitely wrong yet again. The neighborhoods to the west of the Avenue of Fashion section of Livernois definitely aren’t “horrible”.

Yeah, that West of Livernois comment was way off-base.

The neighborhoods west of Livernois from 8 mile south to Curtis had deteriorated in the past 30 years and is not as stable as the eastern communities of Livernois which are Green Acres, Sherwood Forest, and Palmer Woods. Those east of Livernois is where the money is at and the residents shop outside of the area. The stores on Livernois are probably supported by those who live on the west side of Livernois and those who live in the surrounding poorer areas. Many of the stores are crappy and I would not shop at those retail. Many of them sell merchandises that they want to sell but not what is needed. I would open a linen and housewares goods store on the strip if I was much younger and had the capita. I would focus on the communities eastside of Livernois. There are two sports stores on the strip. One of them buzzes you in. The other one is so dated that one would wonder how is he surviving. He is rarely opened and his merchandise are from the 80s. The majority of the strip need to be revamped and the community leaders and members of the association groups replaced.

I own several homes in the area and I'm always surprised by how many are being renovated.

Bagley is far from awful, and some of the fastest rising home values in the city. It's in the top 1/3 of the city in terms of income, low crime and housing values.

Livernois/Avenue of Fashion are fine, but could use some new development. What needs improvement is McNichols....all those liquor stores are disgusting and don't help anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    You’re definitely wrong yet again. The neighborhoods to the west of the Avenue of Fashion section of Livernois definitely aren’t “horrible”.
    No, they're horrible. Only a kool-aid drinking starry-eyed Detroit cultist would claim that bombed-out ghettohoods with super high crime and super low property values are something other than horrible.

Take a Streetview tour. Does this look like a desirable neighborhood?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...!4d-83.1420331

Once again, someone posts a question on DYes, the [[very blindingly obvious) answer is given and all the sycophants rush in with their propaganda.

I have no doubt that the vast majority of neighborhood residents are good, hard-working folks, and there are undoubtedly many neighborhood organizations doing good work, but we all know these neighborhoods are extremely undesirable. Take a look at recorded sales prices. One side of Livernois is beautiful and the other side is basically Harper-Van Dyke.
    Last edited by Bham1982; December-26-18 at 12:06 AM.

No, they're horrible. Only a kool-aid drinking starry-eyed Detroit cultist would claim that bombed-out ghettohoods with super high crime and super low property values are something other than horrible.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...!4d-83.1420331

Once again, someone posts a question on DYes, the [[very blindingly obvious) answer is given and all the sycophants rush in with their propaganda.

I have no doubt that the vast majority of neighborhood residents are good, hard-working folks, and there are undoubtedly many neighborhood organizations doing good work, but we all know these neighborhoods are extremely undesirable. Take a look at recorded sales prices. One side of Livernois is beautiful and the other side is basically Harper-Van Dyke.
    Once again, you see a post on here as an opportunity to take a pot shot at an area because it’s not your own. Whether it’s Detroit, Downriver, Macomb, or Bloomfield Township...if it’s not Birmingham, there’s always some kind of outright negative and/or backhanded comment. Again, funny how the vast majority of other people from Birmingham aren’t anything like you.

You’re somewhat of a psychopath but you’re interesting nonetheless. Your need for exaggeration, arrogance, and inaccuracy is truly fascinating.

The immediate west of the “Avenue of Fashion” area of Livernois is nothing like Harper-Van Dyke. Only someone that is lying and/or has no idea what he’s talking about would make such an outlandish claim.

Again, that western area is the neighborhood of the University of Detroit Jesuit. Are you really claiming that their large number of students from Birmingham and the suburban Woodward corridor are going to school in an area comparable to the of lower east side and Southeastern HS? Seriously?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...!4d-83.1420331...
    According to the official website for the Avenue of Fashion, it only stretches along Livernois from 7 Mile to 8 Mile.

http://www.avenueoffashion.com/faq.html

That image you posted is not one of Santa Rosa Dr. between 7 Mile and 8 Mile.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-26-18 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    According to the official website for the Avenue of Fashion, it only stretches along Livernois from 7 Mile to 8 Mile.

http://www.avenueoffashion.com/faq.html

That image you posted is not one of Santa Rosa Dr. between 7 Mile and 8 Mile.
    While it is certainly cherry-picked to prove a point, it does look like it is Santa Rosa, just south of 8 Mile.

Quote Originally Posted by gpp1004 View Post
    While it is certainly cherry-picked to prove a point, it does look like it is Santa Rosa, just south of 8 Mile.
    Definitely cherry-picked.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast