Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default L. Brooks Patterson gone by year’s end?

Oakland County has been moving steadily left over the past two decades. This year's election has seen the Democrats flipping and now holding a majority of the Oakland County Commission seats for the first time ever.

According to the rules if the Oakland County executive resigns or passes on the commission selects a successor.

It has been widely rumored that LBP was planning to step aside toward the end of his current term with the understanding that a Republican-majority commission would choose Sheriff Mike Bouchard to succeed him lending Bouchard the incumbent status going into the next election.

If that plan is still in place, LBP will now need to go before the new commission is seated in January.

This article details how LBP finds himself hoisted on his own petard.

Patterson Didn’t Plan for Loss of GOP Control
    How Democrats could pick Brooks Patterson’s Oakland County successor

https://www.freep.com/story/opinion/...ty/1946014002/

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    hoisted on his own petard.
    Great expression!

In case you're wondering:

Online Etymology Dictionary entry for "petard"
    https://www.etymonline.com/word/petard

Petard: 1590s, "small bomb used to blow in doors and breach walls," from French pétard [[late 16c.), from Middle French péter "break wind," from Old French pet "a fart," from Latin peditum, noun use of neuter past participle of pedere "to break wind," from PIE root *pezd- "to fart" [[see feisty). Surviving in phrase hoist with one's own petard [[or some variant) "blown up with one's own bomb," which is ultimately from Shakespeare [[1605):

"For tis the sport to haue the enginer Hoist with his owne petar" ["Hamlet" III.iv.207].

PS. Do you know the etymology of pumpernickel? See here:

The Devilish Origins of "Pumpernickel"
    https://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/w...-pumpernickel/

PPS. Eff Patterson that effing eff. Oakland County wise up! I hope you finally realize your future is tied to ours and vote accordingly.
    Last edited by bust; November-15-18 at 11:47 AM.

Can't happen soon enough. Should have happened years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Can't happen soon enough. Should have happened years ago.
    Agreed.

Metro Detroit / Michigan will become a marginally better place once he goes away.

PPPS. Eff is Germanic. Of course.

LBP isn't my idea of the idea of a leader, but he seems like a good administrator. Except for Duggan, the Dems are short of people who actually know how to run things. [[Better at tearing down, IMO.)

For example, OC moved from Defined Benefit pensions to Define Contribution -- and from people I know who work for the Country, they're quite happy and say their retirements will be better than they would have been under the old, bureaucratic, centrally planned retirement plan.

Won't be soon enough....

I would hope that someone gets in who can do a complete enough forensic audit to put this fool in prison.

Soooooooooooooo Happy to be rid of this bufoon, sooner than later.
    Zero Love for LBrooksP -- Bye bye Lewis

We can only hope he's gone

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I would hope that someone gets in who can do a complete enough forensic audit to put this fool in prison.
    I'm not a fan of Patterson, but I've never heard anything to suggest he's done anything illegal. Do you have reasons for concern? Are there some news articles I'm not aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I'm not a fan of Patterson, but I've never heard anything to suggest he's done anything illegal. Do you have reasons for concern? Are there some news articles I'm not aware of?

The hatred seem odd right? Patterson never did anything to them.

But Patterson limited how many dump-trucks worth of cash OC had to throw at Detroit,.. and that angered a lot of Detroiters.

He was also very good at running things financially,.. which made the idiots on Detroit City Clowncil look bad by comparison.

So many of the greediest, laziest and most racists Detroiters have this odd hatred for LBP,... and are hoping he gets replaced with a leftist idiot that will give Detroit lots more cash.

There is no odd hatred, it's very valid contempt that grew from his actions. He's overtly and unapologetically racist, he's ruined multiple regional transit plans and promotes regional division in the area. He told the media that we should gather native Americans in Detroit and give them diseased blankets and corn.

He is undeniably a terrible human being that should have been booted out a decade ago. Nobody is jealous of his financial abilities, a Neanderthal could run OC's finances it is one the country's top wealthiest counties.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    There is no odd hatred, it's very valid contempt that grew from his actions. He's overtly and unapologetically racist, he's ruined multiple regional transit plans and promotes regional division in the area. He told the media that we should gather native Americans in Detroit and give them diseased blankets and corn.

He is undeniably a terrible human being that should have been booted out a decade ago. Nobody is jealous of his financial abilities, a Neanderthal could run OC's finances it is one the country's top wealthiest counties.
    Seconded.

Any traditional Republican could've handled Oakland County. LBP just used the racism of fleeing white Detroiters to build his Oakland County provinicial-minded suburban wasteland. And for what?

I certainly agree that LBP was and is racist [[people rarely change). In all the elections I can remember I have never voted for him. I still would love to see any evidence to support Meddle's claims that Patterson has done something illegal that would be revealed by a forensic audit.

My gut tells me that Patterson has probably kept himself clean, as much as I don't like his racism and prioritization of tax breaks over fixing the crumbling county roads.

People at that level don't not skim sugar off the bottom of the cookie jar. Only a thorough audit would determine whether he did or didn't. If he did, it was likely in ways that looked clean so as not to raise suspicions.

I have no reason to think LBP did anything in terms of bribery corruption and very highly doubt it. A lot of people don't understand that money doesn't mean that much to some people, providing they have enough, and especially when they have comfortably enough.

A more addictive lure to people like LBP is power--the ability to push people around, be the center of attention, even outrage, have people beholden to them. He and Coleman Young shared that lust and thrived on it. It helps understand how both benefited from their conflicts politically, and most importantly, in their inner persons.

Cirrhosis of the liver will send this racist old alcoholic shuffling off to Hell shortly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    What does any of that have to do with Detroit though? He doesn't run Detroit. Why does anyone in Detroit even care?

Secondly,.. statements such as that pale in comparison to the overt racism displayed by Detroit city council. They have been so overtly racist over the years, and seem more than happy to bankrupt their own city.

Massive contracts going to companies that aren't qwualified to do the work,.. just because they are black owned,.. even if it costs the city 20% - 30% more.

I had an acquaintance in high school that had an office supply company. They would bid contracts as tight as they could,.. against 3-4 other companies. All would be within a percent or two of each-other,.. expect a minority owned company that would bid much higher, and get all the business. Eventually the guy and his partner sold off 1/2 their company to a rich black doctor in the suburbs. After that they could bid almost anything they wanted. They made a lot more money after that,.. even though they only owned 1/2 the company.

Makes it hard to take this kind of stuff seriously.

And no,.. not any neanderthal can run a county. LBP saw the crash coming [[like I did),.. and started hiring freezes long before. Contracts trimmed, spending freezes etc. So when it finally hit in 2006+,.. they were ready. Detroit by comparison still signing contracts they knew they would never be able to pay,.. even if the crash didn't ever happen.

It's what happens when someone is elected because of their fiscal restraint,.... instead of because they once sang and danced, or because they're a gay pervert who can't balance a checkbook, or because they were a flaming racist, or were nearly illiterate, etc.

It's like being a dad. When the kids ask you for stuff,... you often have to say no. Then the kiddies cry. But that's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    And no,.. not any neanderthal can run a county. LBP saw the crash coming [[like I did),.. and started hiring freezes long before. Contracts trimmed, spending freezes etc. So when it finally hit in 2006+,.. they were ready. Detroit by comparison still signing contracts they knew they would never be able to pay,.. even if the crash didn't ever happen.
    A good, decent Republican would've seen the exact same thing. He's wasn't a special soothsayer. LBP is nothing special he just connected with the common white man to hate Detroit and therefore was elected the many times we was. He "told it like it was", "speaks his mind". BLAH BLAH BLAH

It's not that LBP didn't run Detroit or had to be Detroit's #1 cheerleader, it's that he refused any sort of regional cooperation because of myopic view that Oakland County doesn't need Detroit. Instead of the region fighting for a pie together, LBP wanted fight for the pie as well against Detroit. What kind of fucked up leader does that in a major metropolitan region when the entire economy is based on one cyclical industry and we should all be fighting for a healthy economy? LBP's attitude and governance has been absolute travesty to bringing this metro area into the 21st century in terms of social barriers, economic diversity, and mobility issues. Detroit's might've been financial bankrupt, but Oakland County was morally bankrupt.

And no, statements such as those don't "pale in comparison". They are easily comparable. LBP is a white man who governs over a majority white county. He is a racist. He says racist things. It's a comparison.

As a former employee of Oakland County, many of higher up/director positions were based on how well connected you were to Boss Patterson. As well, I don't feel like sitting in HR orientation watching a video praising the laurels of how great LBP has been. We all hated this one court administrator, but she was there because she was neighbors with LBP. [[Now I'm not saying that didn't/doesn't happen in Detroit but for a county that touts itself "as better" than Detroit, it clearly is not)

Didn't "The people" of Oakland County vote against sponsoring a regional transit system? Was LBP supposed to over-rule them and do it anyway? Any tax increase [[such as to subsidize a regional transit system) has to be approved by the voters. And most suburban voters think they already ship enough money to Detroit through state funding of schools etc.

What Detroit really needs is someone to sponsor one-way moving trucks,.. to help people who work in Detroit move to Detroit. That way Detroit gains residents, and tax base.

Oakland, Macomb and the other counties can't pay Detroit's bills forever. At some point Detroit will need to stand on it's own again.

Folks from Detroit have been fleeing to Oakland County for decades. White folks for sure, but black folks as well.

They have fled to Oakland County for many reasons, but crime and inefficient services are at the top of those reasons.

Brooks has been very good at keeping the financials solid and he learned that from Dan Murphy. Murphy built an amazing foundation of fical sobriety and that attracted both business and people.

Brooks took over in 1992. Coleman was on his way out by then, so the perceived fantasy of those two actually dealing with each other is not accurate. Barbs thrown, sure; but officially working against each other, no.

Brooks was the Prosecutor, and while he had a big mouth; Dan Murphy ran the place.

As far as OC moving Left, I don’t think so. Maybe it is a question of semantics, but OC has been a Center Right place and it still is; the issue is that the Republicans have shifted to the Far Right or even Extreme Right.

Here is another example, while not in OC it still is a solid Red city: Livonia.

In Livonia only one Republican won. A lady for Wayne County commissioner. Not Governor,SoS, AG, any University boards plus every Proposal passed with double digit percentages.

Livonia.

Anyone really think that bland excuse of a bedroom community is all of a sudden turning into a Leftist bastion liberalism?

No.

The reason is that the Republicans put up a slate of people who have abandoned the Center and repeatedly concoct wedge issues that only serve to divide neighbors from neighbors.

Should LBP retire? Yes. Will he, yes; but only if he loves his county more than himself.

LBP, through is PR person, has retorted. King Lear is not ready to abdicate.

The lie in Dickerson's column is that Patterson intended to resign early to have the board name a Republican successor. This lie has been floated by Democrats for several election cycles now. Those who have the privilege of working with Patterson laughed every time it was brought up because it is absurd and counterintuitive to what everyone knows: Patterson will never resign his office nor has he expressed intentions to do so.

One final note about the slim 11-seat Democratic majority on the board of commissioners. The Democrats need 14 seats to be vetoproof. Patterson has a line-item veto. As long as he is in office, he will continue to ensure the fiscal practices and policies of the county align with his vision for protecting taxpayers.

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com/publ...reid=291bea194

Oakland County has voted for a Democrat for President in the last six elections.

I agree with the assessment that L Brooks is a decent administrator. Also, that he is playing on easy mode since his county has been wealthy - and less dependent on manufacturing - since he took office.

He's a dinosaur now, though. His ideas have come and gone. Accusations of racism aside, he relishes sprawl. Sprawl is somewhat inevitable, but it belies the fact that some of OC's most vibrant, prosperous and resurgent communities are along with Woodward corridor - now with interest spilling over to Oak Park and Clawson. This seems to be incomprehensible to him.

OC is chugging along, and he deserves some small bit of credit for it. Ultimately it is a free country, and it is not as if he kidnapped people from Detroit and made them move there, or carpet-bombed the place. He did seem gleeful about Detroit's downward spiral and a poor neighbor, but not the cause of its ills, to be sure.

Still, OC to me these days have an air of "grandma's house" if you will. Dated, dowdy, pleasant, but fading. Once the fourth richest county in the nation and now in the 20 spots somewhere. I think he actually deserves some blame there, operating as if bourbon-slugging auto execs in McMansions would forever be the road to prosperity.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast