Joe Louis Arena Demolition
JOE LOUIS ARENA DEMOLITION »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 61
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,067

    Default

    I disagree with some of these characterizations.

    First, Oakland County hasn't "moved Left". Republicans have abandoned Reaganism for Trumpism, and educated suburban types aren't gonna vote for a platform of "I hate foreigners, immigrants, globalism, science, the media and anyone with a college education". Soccer moms in Bloomfield aren't gonna go big for the "ya grab em in the hoo-haw" candidate, so the Bloomfield country club set, alongside the Novi/Rochester McMansion types, have left the party.

    Second, Patterson, while a fossil and probably a racist, has been an excellent manager and presided over great prosperity. His departure probably won't be much of a regional gain; it's just that some forumers are jealous of the county's success and believe that if the county declined it would benefit other counties.

    Third, Patterson won't leave unless he passes away in office. He loves his job and there's no strategic reason for leaving early.

  2. #27

    Default

    dtowncitylover, gnome, poobert: spot on!

    Little to add except: I've lived a few places and traveled a lot more and nowhere have I encountered anywhere as bad an us vs. them mentality as infects far too many Metro Detroiters. LBP is archetypal of one side of that equation. For the region to truly prosper it must realize it depends on the health of the entire organism, and cooperate accordingly. The cancer LBP spreads must die. Not just racism, failed city planning too.

    We discussed the first part here:

    Thread: Detroit out-migration, in-migration, and the "other"
    https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...uot-other-quot
    Last edited by bust; November-16-18 at 03:49 PM.

  3. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I disagree with some of these characterizations.

    First, Oakland County hasn't "moved Left". Republicans have abandoned Reaganism for Trumpism, and educated suburban types aren't gonna vote for a platform of "I hate foreigners, immigrants, globalism, science, the media and anyone with a college education". Soccer moms in Bloomfield aren't gonna go big for the "ya grab em in the hoo-haw" candidate, so the Bloomfield country club set, alongside the Novi/Rochester McMansion types, have left the party.

    Second, Patterson, while a fossil and probably a racist, has been an excellent manager and presided over great prosperity. His departure probably won't be much of a regional gain; it's just that some forumers are jealous of the county's success and believe that if the county declined it would benefit other counties.

    Third, Patterson won't leave unless he passes away in office. He loves his job and there's no strategic reason for leaving early.
    Pretty solid analysis.

    I have lived in Oakland County for my whole life minus 7 years in Warren. I started off as a Republican. Then I became mixed on my ballots between R and D. And now I refuse to vote for any Republican because of the embrace of Trump's racist, anti-science, and anti-intellectual ways.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I have lived in Oakland County for my whole life minus 7 years in Warren. I started off as a Republican. Then I became mixed on my ballots between R and D. And now I refuse to vote for any Republican because of the embrace of Trump's racist, anti-science, and anti-intellectual ways.
    I'm pretty much the same. I've consistently voted for both parties, and am overall moderate, but will never vote for any candidate who endorsed, or even normalized, Trumpism.

    The Republican party is dead to me unless they throw the "white nationalist" wing out. I haven't moved Left, they've moved scary Right.

  5. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Third, Patterson won't leave unless he passes away in office. He loves his job and there's no strategic reason for leaving early.
    Well, he already said he won't run in 2020. So he's retiring which is a reason why it doesn't make any sense for him to step down any sooner.

  6. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    . ..... Trump's racist, anti-science, and anti-intellectual ways.
    Why go there with the baseless slander?

    By racist you mean not wanting billions of poor to flood into our country and over-run our social safety net, then over-run our police as the money runs out,... thereby turning us in to Venezuela?

    And by anti-science you mean not falling for the lies from people who are trying to steal trillions, and crush the USA like Soros wants,.. and instead looks at the actual data, which shows NO evidence that man is causing Global Warming. (The most recent warming period having started a hundred + years before the Industrial Revolution,.. and seems to have ended 20 years ago in 1998). You should note that climatologists believe that there is Global Warming (which Trump does also),.. they further believe it is normal to have periods of heating and cooling (which Trump does also),.. and they have no data to show that man is a primary cause (which Trump seems to believe also). So how is he anti-science? Not wanting to destroy your country because of a myth is good policy.

    The left has promised to give away more than $200 TRILLION that they don't have. Soc Sec, Medicaide, Medicare, etc, etc). Our only hope of paying even a fraction of that is to rev up the economy to it's highest levels ever, and keep it there. Carbon taxes etc do just the opposite.
    Last edited by Bigdd; November-16-18 at 04:51 PM.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    While - LBrooksP - ""might"" not have done anything blatantly illegal,
    ( he is an lawyer/attorney by the way) - he is well connected/networked.

    Lewis Brooks Patterson
    Director, Mackinac Financial Corp.
    Lewis Brooks Patterson is on the board of Mackinac Financial Corp.,
    Plastipak Holdings, Inc., Detroit Economic Club
    and mBank (Manistique, Michigan).
    Mr. Patterson received a graduate degree and an
    undergraduate degree - from the University of Detroit Mercy.

    What does Mackinac do?

    Mackinac Financial Corporation operates as the bank holding company for mBank that provides commercial and retail banking products and services in the United States. The company accepts interest bearing and non-interest bearing accounts, such as commercial and retail checking accounts, negotiable order of withdrawal accounts, money market accounts, individual retirement accounts, regular interest-bearing statement savings accounts, certificates of deposit, time deposits, and interest bearing transaction accounts. Its loan products include provides commercial loans to entities within real estate — operators of nonresidential buildings industry; consumer loan products comprising installment, mortgages, and home equity loans, as well as residential mortgage loans; and commercial and governmental lease financing. The company also offers safe deposit facilities. As of March 27, 2018, it operated 12 branches in the Upper Peninsula; 4 branches in the Northern Lower Peninsula; 1 branch in Oakland County, Michigan; and 7 branches in northern Wisconsin. The company was formerly known as North Country Financial Corporation and changed its name to Mackinac Financial Corporation in December 2004. Mackinac Financial Corporation was incorporated in 1974 and is headquartered in Manistique, Michigan.




    Mackinac executives and stock owners

    Mackinac executives and other stock owners filed with the SEC include:




    https://www.reuters.com/finance/stoc...fficers/MFNC.C

    Last edited by O3H; November-16-18 at 04:44 PM.

  8. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    Secondly,.. statements such as that pale in comparison to the overt racism displayed by Detroit city council. They have been so overtly racist over the years, and seem more than happy to bankrupt their own city.
    Yes, City Council members said some racist statements over the years, people like Lonnie Bates, Kwame Kenyatta, and Monica Conyers. The point that folks on here are making, is that those people are either dead or not in elected office anymore, while the racist Oakland County official is still in office. Do you see the difference - they are not in council anymore, but Patterson still is in office.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    And no,.. not any neanderthal can run a county. LBP saw the crash coming (like I did),.. and started hiring freezes long before. Contracts trimmed, spending freezes etc. So when it finally hit in 2006+,.. they were ready. Detroit by comparison still signing contracts they knew they would never be able to pay,.. even if the crash didn't ever happen.

    It's what happens when someone is elected because of their fiscal restraint,.... instead of because they once sang and danced, or because they're a gay pervert who can't balance a checkbook, or because they were a flaming racist, or were nearly illiterate, etc.
    The below Time Magazine article from September 2007 about Kwame Kilpatrick indicated that Kilpatrick reduced the city's workforce from 21,000 to 13,800, and also cut property taxes. So to say that Patterson made workforce cuts, but not to highlight that Detroit made workforce cuts during that time as well, is presenting a false reality.

    http://content.time.com/time/nation/...663791,00.html

  9. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    Why go there with the baseless slander?

    By racist you mean not wanting billions of poor to flood into our country and over-run our social safety net, then over-run our police as the money runs out,... thereby turning us in to Venezuela?

    And by anti-science you mean not falling for the lies from people who are trying to steal trillions, and crush the USA like Soros wants,.. and instead looks at the actual data, which shows NO evidence that man is causing Global Warming. (The most recent warming period having started a hundred + years before the Industrial Revolution,.. and seems to have ended 20 years ago in 1998). You should note that climatologists believe that there is Global Warming (which Trump does also),.. they further believe it is normal to have periods of heating and cooling (which Trump does also),.. and they have no data to show that man is a primary cause (which Trump seems to believe also). So how is he anti-science? Not wanting to destroy your country because of a myth is good policy.

    The left has promised to give away more than $200 TRILLION that they don't have. Soc Sec, Medicaide, Medicare, etc, etc). Our only hope of paying even a fraction of that is to rev up the economy to it's highest levels ever, and keep it there. Carbon taxes etc do just the opposite.
    Racism

    By racist I mean making generalization based on race and unfairly treating people based on race.

    Examples: Classifying Mexicans as rapists. Supporting white supremacists in Charlottesville.


    Anti-Science

    He doesn't believe in climate science or any other science that might hurt corporate profits. That's why he's dismantling the EPA and going back on all the climate initiatives. He apparently believes in the sky-god with no evidence, but wants to ignore overwhelming, nearly universally accepted climate science. Why? Because money.

    Your're worried about the left's spending


    Don't, because the wars and tax cuts of the Republican administrations have been far worse. Trump has controlled everything in DC the last two years and yet the spending deficits are going up, up, and away. Why? Because Republicans lie about caring about the budget and only want to help line the pockets of already disgustingly rich people.

    Trump is very dangerous to this country and world. I'm glad to see there will be some balance to his power in the House of Representatives.
    Last edited by 48307; November-16-18 at 06:00 PM.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    Why go there with the baseless slander?

    By racist you mean not wanting billions of poor to flood into our country and over-run our social safety net, then over-run our police as the money runs out,... thereby turning us in to Venezuela?

    And by anti-science you mean not falling for the lies from people who are trying to steal trillions, and crush the USA like Soros wants,.. and instead looks at the actual data, which shows NO evidence that man is causing Global Warming. (The most recent warming period having started a hundred + years before the Industrial Revolution,.. and seems to have ended 20 years ago in 1998). You should note that climatologists believe that there is Global Warming (which Trump does also),.. they further believe it is normal to have periods of heating and cooling (which Trump does also),.. and they have no data to show that man is a primary cause (which Trump seems to believe also). So how is he anti-science? Not wanting to destroy your country because of a myth is good policy.

    The left has promised to give away more than $200 TRILLION that they don't have. Soc Sec, Medicaide, Medicare, etc, etc). Our only hope of paying even a fraction of that is to rev up the economy to it's highest levels ever, and keep it there. Carbon taxes etc do just the opposite.
    ^
    This kind of deranged drivel is exactly why Republicans are done in Oakland. If you believe any of this, you just might be a Trump Cultist.

    They need to purge the party of Crazy or they're done everywhere but the poorest, most backward parts of rural America.

  11. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Racism

    By racist I mean making generalization based on race and unfairly treating people based on race.

    Examples: Classifying Mexicans as rapists. Supporting white supremacists in Charlottesville.
    Well,.. there IS a lot of killing, drug cartels, etc RIGHT across the border.


    Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Anti-Science
    Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    He doesn't believe in climate science or any other science that might hurt corporate profits. That's why he's dismantling the EPA and going back on all the climate initiatives. He apparently believes in the sky-god with no evidence, but wants to ignore overwhelming, nearly universally accepted climate science. Why? Because money.
    What science exactly? Because he seems to agree with ACTUAL scientists,.. just not lie peddlers like Al Gore that doctor data and falsely claim that CO2 is somehow related to temperature rise. (Data shows otherwise).

    Capping carbon output means shutting down wealth producing industry,.. which means becoming poor. How are we going to pay for $200 trillion in give-aways if we become poor? We need millions MORE to be working and paying taxes and millions LESS to be on the dole to have any chance of making this work.

    Also,.. the net result of EPA rules isn't what you'd hope. Modern turbo cars actually produce MORE emissions and in some cases get worse fuel economy. Such as F150 with 3.5 Ecoboost v.s. 5.0 Coyote,.. where the bigger engine gets better mileage and WAY better emissions. The tests need to be re-done. EPA rules also force manufacturers to make much bigger cars. The shadow rule means they can't make small trucks,.. but have to keep making bigger and bigger ones to be legal (MPG allowance goes up as they get bigger). The EPA rules need to be totally revamped,.. and nonsense MPG numbers for gentle highway cruise are not indicative of real world use. 52 mpg? Nonsense.

    Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Your're worried about the left's spending
    Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post

    Don't, because the wars and tax cuts of the Republican administrations have been far worse. Trump has controlled everything in DC the last two years and yet the spending deficits are going up, up, and away. Why? Because Republicans lie about caring about the budget and only want to help line the pockets of already disgustingly rich people.
    Military spending? It's like 2.6% of the budget. Medicaide alone is 17% and climbing 1% a year. It's totally unsustainable. That, medicare and Soc Sec will soon be more than 100% of our budget. So yeah,.. worried about lefts spending.

  12. #37

    Default

    wow. Bigdd has gone off the deep end. this is the same garbage that people like the MAGA bomber loved to spew and roll themselves up in. pretty pathetic.

    i am a moderate voter and consider myself a staunch independent. but as other posters on here have said, i am voting straight democratic party until agent orange is out of the white house and the gop that we all once knew is restored. they are pathetic, bigoted, anti-intellect losers and it felt so good 11 days ago to vote straight D on the ticket and see the tides changing for the republicans in this state and across the country

    i hope that it sent them a clear message. get rid of trumpism, or be voted out. simple as that

  13. #38

    Default

    LOL! Bigdd is the same genius who said:

    "Barak isn't actually black,.. He's Indonesian, and was adopted by Lolo Sotoro and Mary Ann Dunham when he was 6. Look at his facial features. African blacks facial features get more aggressive as they get older. Not so with Obama.

    And there's no track-record of him having a soft spot for blacks. He's a Muslim,. and a homosexual,.. and as such, you see him catering to Muslim countries,.. giving them hundreds of millions, and nuke technology. You also see him pushing the gay agenda like the bathroom thing."

    He fantasizes Michelle Obama is a transsexual. And he thinks Joan Rivers was murdered for saying so.

    In other words, he is Trump's base.
    Last edited by bust; November-17-18 at 12:12 PM.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    Science is pretty damn sure LBrooksP is a racist .

  15. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    LOL! Bigdd is the same genius who said:

    "Barak............................................ ..................In other words, he is Trump's base.

    See,.. you probably think you've soundly rejected the points I made,.. but in reality, you've done just the opposite.

    You see,.. when people think they're right (whether they are or are not),.. they make an argument, so as to try to convince other side.

    But when someone KNOWS they're wrong, and don't have a leg to stand on,.. they can only call names.


    You've just told everyone in the thread you know you're wrong.

    Bravo!
    Last edited by Bigdd; November-18-18 at 09:28 PM.

  16. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    wow. Bigdd has gone off the deep end. this is the same garbage that people like the MAGA bomber loved to spew and roll themselves up in. pretty pathetic.

    Was anything I said in the above post incorrect? If so,... what?

    Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    i am a moderate voter and consider myself a staunch independent. but as other posters on here have said, i am voting straight democratic party until agent orange is out of the white house and the gop that we all once knew is restored. they are pathetic, bigoted, anti-intellect losers and it felt so good 11 days ago to vote straight D on the ticket and see the tides changing for the republicans in this state and across the country

    i hope that it sent them a clear message. get rid of trumpism, or be voted out. simple as that
    The GOP actually did MUCH better than Pres Obama did in his first mid-term.

    It's quite normal to loose seats in a first mid-term. Actually, can't remember any time it didn't happen. And instead of loosing 64 House seats and 6 senate seats like the Dem's did in 2010,.. the GOP lost 38 House seats, (going from from a 22 seat majority to a 16 seat minority) and actually gained what? 2 Senate seats?

    If you figure a senate seat as being worth 4.35 hose seats,.. the math works out to 2010 being a loss to the Democrats of (6 Senate seats x 4.35 = 26.1 - 64 House seats = a total loss of 90.1

    This November the GOP gained 2 Senate seats (more like 5 when you count the leftists and Independents that had run as Republicans, but rarely voted with them that have since been replaced (Flake, McCain, etc) So 2 Senate seats x 4.35 = a +8.7,.. - 38 House seats = a loss of 29 ish ?

    A loss of 29 is WAY better than a loss of 90. So basically, America only dislikes Trump 1/3 as much as they disliked Pres Obama?

    If you reads election results as a referendum on the President..
    Last edited by Bigdd; November-18-18 at 09:47 PM.

  17. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    LOL! Bigdd is the same genius who said:

    "Barak isn't actually black,.. He's Indonesian, and was adopted by Lolo Sotoro and Mary Ann Dunham when he was 6. Look at his facial features. African blacks facial features get more aggressive as they get older. Not so with Obama.

    And there's no track-record of him having a soft spot for blacks. He's a Muslim,. and a homosexual,.. and as such, you see him catering to Muslim countries,.. giving them hundreds of millions, and nuke technology. You also see him pushing the gay agenda like the bathroom thing."

    He fantasizes Michelle Obama is a transsexual. And he thinks Joan Rivers was murdered for saying so.

    In other words, he is Trump's base.
    Thanks Bust! There's no reason to even try after reading that.

  18. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    See,.. you probably think you've soundly rejected the points I made,.. but in reality, you've done just the opposite.

    You see,.. when people think they're right (whether they are or are not),.. they make an argument, so as to try to convince other side.

    But when someone KNOWS they're wrong, and don't have a leg to stand on,.. they can only call names.


    You've just told everyone in the thread you know you're wrong.

    Bravo!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

    And as for the second post, despite the House and Senate numbers, the gubernatorial elections and ballot proposals inMichigan and across the nation also helped with the blue wave.

  19. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    Our only hope of paying even a fraction of that is to rev up the economy to it's highest levels ever, and keep it there.
    I know I am probably wasting my time, but I invite you to thoughtfully consider:
    1) the soundness of what you just posted. If you have not previously taken an economics class, you should consider it.
    2) whether, upon careful consideration, you really, truly believe, or just want to believe, that deficit spending in the form of tax cuts is going to...eliminate the deficit.

    Praying for you...

  20. #45

    Default

    That DD stuff is the kind of stuff serial killers think up to justify stocking up on lime just in case the bodies in his crawl space start to ripen.

  21. #46

    Default

    The control freak of control freaks giving up power? Not until he is voted out of office!

  22. #47

    Default

    Goodbye white version of Coleman A. Young.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    Love the sentence up above via Danny

  24. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Love the sentence up above via Danny
    My faith in your technical solutions to infrastructure has been buoyed by your commanding computer skills.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    LBrooksP has stood in the way of technological progress
    JUST so he could get re-elected and continue to fill his pockets.

    Let me share a speech LBrooksP gave in 1998:
    https://redrundrain.wordpress.com/20...rain-lbrooksp/

    Instead of doing it properly, he put on a band-aid on a tsunami of shit.
    The county "had" ranked 7th in the USA for median household income
    The tax base was there - HE didn't want to get the InfraStructure funding
    Last edited by O3H; November-23-18 at 05:06 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES! [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.