Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default University of Detroit History

from 1928

picture 7 shows six mile three blocks west of hamilton - those homes still stand 100 years later

Last edited by hybridy; November-14-18 at 03:19 PM.

Whatever happened to that large church on the McNichols campus pictured in the original post? Are there any photos of it? Or was it never built? I’m an alumni of UDM and never knew it had existed until recently. I’ve only seen it in drawings and old postcards, though.
    Last edited by NSortzi; November-14-18 at 04:08 PM.

Where is this material located and how can I read more? This is by far the most interesting thing I've read in awhile and need to know more. My family lives in that area a greater party of 35 years. This kind of stuff captivates me.

It was only ever a drawing. Gesu Church is the Catholic Chruch serving the neighborhood. Original U of D was likely meant to be part of neighborhood and not a gated campus.

Instead of that beautiful church they have that god forsaken sandstone administration building at the gates. I don't know WHAT possessed them to build that instead of trying to stay within the style parameters of the missionary design.
    Not only is it ugly, now it's filthy
    Last edited by jcole; November-14-18 at 07:00 PM.

Ah yes the Fisher Admin Bldg. Designed by Gunnar Birkerts in the 60’s. Was always explained to me that all the Spanish Mission legacy buildings were black from the soot of industrial Detroit hence the darker masonry buildings added to campus postwar.

That particular building was revolutionary at the time for a granite clad load bearing envelope and center core, thus all office space was column free and reconfigurable overtime - everyone could have access to daylight and views. Unfortunately the perimeter of the office floors is ringed with private offices.

As the oil crisis reared it’s ugly head, it became clear the singled glazed fixed envelope was extremely energy inefficient. Due to solar heat gain from the south - the building needs to be artificially cooled year round.

As a gateway to campus, it should absolutely be torn down - along with the residence quad and Ford Life Science IMHO.

The Student Union is also an absolute travesty in all ways. When/if I pay off my student loans, I would happily donate to fund a redux of Kassab Mall and a new Union.

UDM SOA ‘08
    Last edited by hybridy; November-14-18 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASilvaman View Post
    Where is this material located and how can I read more? This is by far the most interesting thing I've read in awhile and need to know more. My family lives in that area a greater party of 35 years. This kind of stuff captivates me.
    Enjoy - it’s easy to be sucked in

I recall paging through musty hardcopies as part of my work studies circa mid-00’s. 1924 & 1928 have amazing historical photos, including new streetcar extension to livernois/mcnichols. And then ‘48-60 show second wave of residence/student amenities.

The 1950 yearbook has a very intriguing Memorial Chapel design that was proposed to commemorate WW2. More edgy than what was eventually built.

http://libraries.udmercy.edu/archive...ear&letter=ALL
    Last edited by hybridy; November-14-18 at 10:49 PM.

My daughter and her husband met there and graduated from UDM in '98 engineering program. We went there a lot to visit and drop off food and that Admin building made me cringe every time. Still does. I was in the Union a few times but it doesn't stand out in my mind much.
    Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Ah yes the Fisher Admin Bldg. Designed by Gunnar Birkerts in the 60’s. Was always explained to me that all the Spanish Mission legacy buildings were black from the soot of industrial Detroit hence the darker masonry buildings added to campus postwar.

That particular building was revolutionary at the time for a granite clad load bearing envelope and center core, thus all office space was column free and reconfigurable overtime - everyone could have access to daylight and views. Unfortunately the perimeter of the office floors is ringed with private offices.

As the oil crisis reared it’s ugly head, it became clear the singled glazed fixed envelope was extremely energy inefficient. Due to solar heat gain from the south - the building needs to be artificially cooled year round.

As a gateway to campus, it should absolutely be torn down - along with the residence quad and Ford Life Science IMHO.

The Student Union is also an absolute travesty in all ways. When/if I pay off my student loans, I would happily donate to fund a redux of Kassab Mall and a new Union.

UDM SOA ‘08

A little bit of history of the McNichols campus near the bottom of this thread:

Long City Blocks

Are there photos missing from the original post?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    A little bit of history of the McNichols campus near the bottom of this thread:

Long City Blocks
    fantastic MikeM -- thanks for finding this

Quote Originally Posted by BMoo View Post
    Are there photos missing from the original post?
    @BMoo

Six Mile, 3 blocks west of Hamilton, 1916
    https://i.imgur.com/RFbiFU8.jpg

Six Mile, 3 blocks west of Hamilton, 2019
    https://goo.gl/maps/iEnoagKUyd4Ut9Yy9
    Last edited by hybridy; October-09-19 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    instead of that beautiful church they have that god forsaken sandstone administration building at the gates. I don't know what possessed them to build that instead of trying to stay within the style parameters of the missionary design.
    Not only is it ugly, now it's filthy
    amen

MikeM beat me to the punch on his own work. Excellent local history/geography research. I reviewed this material with friends a year or two ago. Great work and a rich history.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    It was only ever a drawing. Gesu Church is the Catholic Chruch serving the neighborhood. Original U of D was likely meant to be part of neighborhood and not a gated campus.
    On Google Maps Streetview, I was "cruising" around the campus of Butler University, a private religious school of similar age and student population and setting in a residential neighborhood of a large city [[Indianapolis), and it does not have any gates separating it from the neighborhood!