Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    It is exactly my parent's wishes to help my sister. I have asked them numerous times and they are both in agreement. Their expenses for health care are taken care of. So any money they have is over and above what it will cost for their health care. That is no problem. Their end of life expenses are already paid for and all arrangements have been seen to. They truly want to help their daughter. As my mother put it, "If it were any one of our kids we would be there for them."

I have contacted an attorney on their behalf, and once they receive some particular documents in the mail, we will make an appointment. I will then drive them to their attorney's office where they will make their wishes known to their attorney. My sister is not the executrix of their will.

We know that my parent's money is theirs to do with what they will. It does not belong to us. We have urged them time and time again to spend their money the way they see fit. If they wanted to go through all of it like shit through a goose, then so be it. But they have always saved for a rainy day and that rainy day has now come. I had a heart-to-heart talk with my dad [[a man of very few words), and he told me that both he and my mom wanted to do this - there is no pressure from my sister or me or anyone.

I have found most of the comments I received on this thread very helpful. Some have been very instrumental in unclouding my thinking. Thanks to all of you for helping me out.

Your writing is incredibly convoluted and difficult to read. Are you saying that they want to give the money to your sister? If so, then what is the issue? Greed on your part?

I guess I missed the news about the economy recovering in MI, judging from the smug remarks by the usual suspects who are wise to the ways of the real word, as they spend most of their time on the internet. You'd think there were jobs just hanging off the trees like ripe fruit!

There are ten thousand stories like this right now, and the older you are, the more age discrimination becomes a reality. Here's a few stories which confirm that things are less than rosy not only in MI, but all over the country.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/200...ERS_index.html

I would urge your sister to take a training course in some new skill. One possibility is a course in TEFL [[Teaching English as a Foreign Language) and head to Asia, where there are native English speakers are in demand...If she has a university degree, she will have a very easy time getting a job. If she does not have a degree, well, there's the TEFL certificate.

I realize that the idea of moving to a foreign place where one does not even know the local language is daunting, but when the other choice is being penniless and living with your parents at age 53, well, it's time for some adventure.

My experiences living outside of the country have been some of the best adventures of my life, and one is never too old for some new adventures.
    If that's not enough, consider that in some cultures, age buys you more respect.

info here: http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/
    Last edited by barnesfoto; September-07-09 at 01:11 AM.

That reminds me, the woman who heads the project I work on is 60 ish. Her ambition is to finish the project, get her kids through college, and join the Peace Corps. We have lawyer friends who served in the Peace Corp about ten years ago when they were in their 50s. He was teaching at a university in Ukraine, and she was runnning some kind of community service project. What possibilities might be out there?

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    cc, you need a reality check. In the real world, when there are more applicants ranging from 15 -70 than there are jobs, most employers would rather have a green newbie than a seasoned worker used to making two to five times more than they are willing to pay. They figure the older worker will threaten the younger management as they are much more experienced in the work world. Also, they will be qualified for a much higher paying job and will run to it if they find it. A 50 year old professional used to working in an office is a poor candidate for a restaurant job, which is hard physical work. Waiting tables involves significant people skills, memory, and the appearance of competence at this type of work. You can't look confused when the equipment malfunctions, the cooks mess up, or there end up to be more customers in your section than you can easily handle.
    On the other hand, "seasoned workers" are also considered much more responsible than younger workers. They can also be a great resource for younger management. They may run to higher paying jobs, but so do younger workers. They are also not as frail, unskilled, forgetful and ugly as you imply. Sounds to me like you are the ageist.

True, there may be employers who discriminate against old people, but many employers value the experience and competence of "seasoned workers".

ccbatson Guest

Not so if the person is truly willing to do jobs that they might wrongfully consider beneath them [[as no such thing exists).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3