Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Photo Books & Equipment to Donate to Worthy Detroit Photographic Association

I was born and raised in Detroit but no longer live there as I am living in Indianapolis these days. I am getting ready to move into a senior citizen apartment complex after living in a home for the past 16 years. So, I am having to downsize, get rid of, and donate items from my lifetime of collecting what I consider are treasures. It is a difficult process but I'm warming up to it by donating many things to worthy recipients and charities. It's kind of like I view my "things" as I was the caretaker of the items and now it's time for me to pass them onto a new caretaker, then maybe one day they will pass them on, and so on and so forth. Name:  Photo 2.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  89.3 KB

So, I have many high quality books with categories like Polish Catholic or Detroit Polonia research books of all sorts. I have found the St. Albertus Historic District and they are tickled for me to donate my book to their library. I have some original African Art objects like Zulu Spears and Shields that I am donating to the DIA that are also very pleased to be receiving them. I have many vintage, framed Polish Catholic photographs, First Holy Communion photos, Wedding photos from all back in the 19 teens, 20's, and 30's, etc., and birth certificates of PolishName:  Photo 4.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  166.6 KB Catholic citizens of Detroit that I am donating to the Orchard Lake campus. Name:  Photo 1.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  113.5 KB

I was a professional photographer in my work life. So, I have many vintage, high quality, hard back photographic books of all sorts along with much film camera equipment. Again, all of my equipment is high quality such a Leica and Nikon bodies and lenses. What I am try to find is some good, worthy Detroit organization that can use these items that I can donate them to. I know I will get some good, thoughtful suggestions on this forum. I will consider every suggestion for its relevancy to Detroit. I certainly hope this is considered a Detroit Topic for inclusion on this portion of the forums.Name:  Photo 3.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  79.4 KB

How thoughtful! I have no specific leads but can't help but wonder if the CCS or Wayne State Photography departments would have leads.

http://art.wayne.edu/photography/index.php

https://www.collegeforcreativestudie...ms/photography

CCS is such a great place for so many talented local people. I took a couple photography classes at Wayne State back in the day when I was an undergrad - what fun!

Eugene Atget was an amazing street photographer in Paris. Brassai did the same type of Paris street photography, but he worked at night, while Atget was in the day. That Atget book you have was published by the MOMA in NYC and is rare now. It was part of a four-book series. I once owned a copy myself.

Try donating to a library or university library.

Being a Wayne State University University of Michigan alumni the suggestion to donate it to WSU photography department is a great idea. Also, the center for creative studies is another worthy organization. Yes, I have some original African art i.e. Zulu spears, shields, masks that might be nice gifts for the Detroit Institute of Arts African collection. Also, the suggestions to donate to libraries or universities are good ideas, aslo. Thank both of you for your ideas.