Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Two different senaios,one is now in a position where he is accountable to everybody and another that was a private business which should have the right to refuse service to whom they choose.

Chick fillet is a private business that closes on sundays because of religious beliefs,should the government force them to open on sundays?

But Colorado brings us Rocky Mountain high,so there is that aspect.

But this is identity politics and divisive,him being gay should not matter,the two Muslim women that won,the women that won.

They all touted that part and in essence separated themselves from everybody else.

The one lady said exactly that,I am a Muslim woman and I am here,who cares if she is a woman or Muslim,she should be saying,I won because the voters felt that I was the best person for the job and trust me to look after everybody’s best interests.

Otherwise it looks like she got the job just because of what she was and not who she is.

Did the voters,vote him in because he was openly gay,or because they felt that he was the best man for the job?

A number of points you raise about identity politics are valid, IMO. The only b problem is your first two paragraphs are buggy.

You cannot compare the two businesses you cite, one for closing on sundays and one refusing to serve a customer on religious or moral grounds. The baker refused to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple. What if that same gay man had gone to buy a gun at a gun store? Would they be in their right to refuse him a service based on sexual preference?

And while we're at it; cell Phone or car purchase, Richard? lol

^ In both cases it was based on religious values,one does not open because of the sabbath another has the same right if thier religion frowns on the gay lifestyle.

The easy recourse would have been to just go elsewhere and not try to force one into exceptions.

On the morals aspect,who determines that? One person may like to get spanked while another may find it immoral,do we now pass a law and force those who like to get spanked into litigation?

If we do not except the Muslims then we are racist,or anybody else for that matter,what is wrong with freedom of religion?

That was kinda the original intent of crossing the oceans to get away from that.

I cannot stand cellphones so I believe nobody should be allowed to have one,not to even mention that 15 people day die from them that nobody really cares about anyways.Maybe if we change the name of them to AR-Cells then watch how fast they disappear.

Maybe with the Democrats in the House now they will show some compassion for the needless deaths that they cause and ban them.

Yes, and your gay man or woman should not be able to go into any gun shop and buy one? The laws applying to universal right of ownership under certain conditions would not apply?

or cell phone, or tattoo or vibrator or car depending on the shop owner's beliefs. So you got away from bullshit across the ocean to fall over more bullcrap on these shores, no?

A lot of businesses are closed on Sundays by their own choice. That means they're closed to every one. They don't pick and choose which customers they are closed to based on the customer's personal lifestyle.

That said, a lot of businesses pick and choose who they sell to, or even wait on based on their financial status. Ever walk into a high end luxury clothing store and have the staff snub you simply because they don't think you're good enough for them?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post

You cannot compare the two businesses you cite, one for closing on sundays and one refusing to serve a customer on religious or moral grounds. The baker refused to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple. What if that same gay man had gone to buy a gun at a gun store? Would they be in their right to refuse him a service based on sexual preference?

The Colorado baker did not refuse to bake a cake based on the would be customers sexual preference. He refused to bake a cake for their same sex wedding reception. If a Christian owns a gun store and is asked by a customer to engrave "Satan is Lord" on a receiver, I'd expect a similarly strong refusal.

^^^ Yes, the details matter in that case. Also, not often remembered, that case predates the supreme court ruling on same sex marriage.

And his refusal was specific to a cake celebrating a gay wedding. Not serving gay customers in general.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-08-18 at 05:15 AM.

It wouldn't be acceptable in canada to refuse, and I suspect it isn't legal to do so in the US anymore.

It wouldn't be acceptable in canada to refuse, and I suspect it isn't legal to do so in the US anymore.
    SCOTUS voted 7-2 this past Summer that the Colorado baker was within his rights to refuse to bake the cake for the event. It was a narrow decision, and did not decide if someone can refuse service to a would be customer based solely on their sexual preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    SCOTUS voted 7-2 this past Summer that the Colorado baker was within his rights to refuse to bake the cake for the event. It was a narrow decision, and did not decide if someone can refuse service to a would be customer based solely on their sexual preference.

Whatever happened to Liberty and the right to happiness?

I guess that makes for one happy baker.

My understanding was that they punted [[again). Their [[non) ruling had to do with some sort of procedural issue in that the state didn't dot enough Is and cross enough Ts.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Already setting up the excuses, eh? So if the economy is still doing well, all praises and credit will go to Dear Leader. If the economy takes a downturn, it will somehow be the fault of the House, and only the House? Not the Senate, not the President? Even though Democrats are not in a position to unilaterally pass any legislation whatsoever with control over only one chamber of Congress?

Since Trump does have the unilateral power to enact tariffs, I think Americans will know who to blame when industries affected by those tariffs begin laying off workers.

FYI, The DJIA has been fluctuating by 1500 points all year long.
    "Excuses"? I premised my first sentence that you responded to with, "Although many factors contribute to stock prices and some pricing has been built in with the expectation that Democrats would take one or both houses," How is that an excuse? I'll help you here. That actually gives you some excuses if the economy goes sour while House Democrats are trying to destroy Trump instead of helping govern. However, I wanted to put a marker in with regards to where the stock market and unemployment levels stood when Democrats took over the House. Maybe Democrats will be full of surprises and want to balance the budget. Who knows?

I'm a supporter of the bi-partisan Simpson-Bowles Commission President Obama commissioned to address the budget deficit. Everyone from Obama to Republicans rejected it because it offered hard to take medicine. It would have to be updated to include Obama and Trump's deficit spending. It required cutting federal spending $1.60 for every increase of $1 in taxes. Unlike you, I would prefer that the revenue part come from taxes on import companies instead of middle class tax payers to the extent possible.
    Last edited by oladub; November-07-18 at 08:21 PM.

I know it may sound shallow and somewhat ridiculous after all I have vented on Chump but, I have immense respect for the guy.

Exactly. Example: some has a graphic design, sign shop providing design work and services for hire but refuses to do a banner and flyers for a anti-gay group.

That IS their right as a business to choose what to promote or who to service, event specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-08-18 at 06:41 AM.

I know it may sound shallow and somewhat ridiculous after all I have vented on Chump but, I have immense respect for the guy.
    One should never admit to such mental defects publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    One should never admit to such mental defects publicly.

It's all in jest, or a momentarily lapse in mental faculties. lolla

It's all in jest, or a momentarily lapse in mental faculties. lolla
    Or maybe the side effects of unfretted acess to pot,or the side effects of malnutrition during your school years,do not bow to peer pressure,as much as the Dems want to remove our freedom of free thought or expression,they have not been successful.
    Last edited by Richard; November-08-18 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Or maybe the side effects of unfretted acess to pot,or the side effects of malnutrition during your school years,do not bow to peer pressure,as much as the Dems want to remove our freedom of free thought or expression,they have not been successful.

Keep chewing on them Kraft slices and chugging that Mountain Dew, Richard. No damned lefty will ever overpower your lifestyle choices. I'm having a nice Bordeaux to celebrate your strengths!

Lol, kraft slices are disgusting and 70% vegetable oil and I do not drink soda, it is not healthy.

See how you missed the mark again?

Besides if I eat and drink heathy it lowers my odds of getting sick from smoking cigarettes.

The route the lefty’s are going the only food that will be advailable will be soylent green.

Hey maybe that is Canada’s answer to feeding your kids in school,the source is free and it’s cheap to process.

I can hear the loudspeakers now,all incoming immigrants please form a line here for processing.

They like to control everything somebody does from birth to death.Even after death they still want to keep your voting card.

Enjoy your Bordeaux.
    Last edited by Richard; November-09-18 at 10:47 PM.

Take a deep haul of that cigarette there, Richard. And another.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2