Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Election Night 2018

Figured we needed a place to discuss the returns and the results of the 2018 Midterm elections.

My predictions for Michigan:
    Whitmer defeats Schuette
    Stabenow crushes John James
    Proposals 1, 2, and 3 all pass by comfortable margins
    Democrats flip 2 Republican House seats in Michigan

My predictions are Whitmer wins by a comfortable margin, but not a landslide. Proposal 1 narrowly passes and 2&3 both fail. Stabenow wins again, but with less of a margin than the last couple elections. Probably sub 10% as James will pull some African American votes, and the loss of straight ticket option will hurt her as well.

I voted the bejesus out of that ballot.

It was busy but no waiting in the early afternoon.

The length of this ballot was itself a motivator to vote yes on prop 3.

Couple of questions for my American compatriots.

Once again, a leading feature of Canadian reporting on your election is obscenely long lines, polling stations that have gone missing/didn't open, machines that don't count ballots cause its humid........

Is this really as widespread as it seems? If so, why do you all put up w/that?

Its not that we never have issues up here, but I have to say, I've never waited more than 5m to vote in my life.

I can't imagine putting up with an hour long line, let alone worse.

Also, no one ever seems to make a deal out of your 'lame duck' sessions of legislatures.

i don't know if that's unique to the U.S. but it sure as hell is weird, that people who the voters have fired still get to decide things for another 2 months.

Does that not resonate as weird in the U.S.?

I've never encountered any issues or significant lines in Michigan, or in Florida while I lived and voted there. That said, I do have a schedule that allows me to vote during the slower parts of the day, and I have always voted in areas that seem to have their crap together when it comes to poling stations.

Voting in Sarasota, Florida felt like a military drill run by 80 year old retired nuns. I voted there for the 2004 Bush/Kerry election and there were literally twice as many poll workers as there were voters, and no line whatsoever.

I see the lame duck sessions as a double edged sword. On one side they allow lawmakers to squeak through bills that would have been difficult to pass due to the political backlash they may draw. And on the other side they allow law makers to squeak through bills that would have been difficult due to the political backlash they may have drawn [[Yes, I intended to state the same thing twice). Lame duck sessions can be some of the most productive [[Or sometimes the only productive) weeks in the capital, but there is a dark side to the fact that some of those elected won't be here to feel the consequences of their vote.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; November-06-18 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    My predictions for Michigan:
    Whitmer defeats Schuette
    Stabenow crushes John James
    Proposals 1, 2, and 3 all pass by comfortable margins
    Democrats flip 2 Republican House seats in Michigan
    Called it exactly correct!

Big night for Democrats in Michigan. Democrats sweep the Governor, Senate, Attorney General, and Secretary of State races. Proposals 1, 2, 3 pass by solid margins. Looks like Democrats flipped 6 seats in the State Senate as well.

Nationally, Democrats retake the House of Representatives and flipped 6-7 Governors mansions nationwide. Also, so far, at least 6 state legislatures have flipped control to the Democrats, including giving the Democrats trifecta control [[state house, state senate, Governor) in Colorado and Maine. In bell-weather New Hampshire, both chambers of the state legislature flipped to Democratic control.

Silver lining for the Republicans though, looks like they picked up 3 seats in the Senate. Doesn't really change anything as far as the Senate goes [[Republicans would need 60 votes to overcome cloture anyways) but it does make the Democrats' job harder in 2020 to retake the Senate.

44 of the 45 Republicans that Trump backed either took control or gained seats.

2020 is going to be interesting and I think based on how the democrats handle the house going forward is going to be the deciding factor,they really have two paths,one of get Trump at all costs or working towards solutions.

The balance of power is in place like it should be,we can hope something good can come out of it for everybody.

But even at that the democrats still have a get the vote out problem and still are playing identity politics,in which it should be based on the best candidate for the job,no matter who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I've never encountered any issues or significant lines in Michigan, or in Florida while I lived and voted there. That said, I do have a schedule that allows me to vote during the slower parts of the day, and I have always voted in areas that seem to have their crap together when it comes to poling stations.

Voting in Sarasota, Florida felt like a military drill run by 80 year old retired nuns. I voted there for the 2004 Bush/Kerry election and there were literally twice as many poll workers as there were voters, and no line whatsoever.

I see the lame duck sessions as a double edged sword. On one side they allow lawmakers to squeak through bills that would have been difficult to pass due to the political backlash they may draw. And on the other side they allow law makers to squeak through bills that would have been difficult due to the political backlash they may have drawn [[Yes, I intended to state the same thing twice). Lame duck sessions can be some of the most productive [[Or sometimes the only productive) weeks in the capital, but there is a dark side to the fact that some of those elected won't be here to feel the consequences of their vote.
    Thats because the rich people live in Sarasota,they do mail in and do not stand in line at the polls like us common folk.

I think that group over there runs the state more then Tallahassee.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post

Also, no one ever seems to make a deal out of your 'lame duck' sessions of legislatures.

i don't know if that's unique to the U.S. but it sure as hell is weird, that people who the voters have fired still get to decide things for another 2 months.

It is is called our civic duty,an hour in line every two years is how our voice gets heard and is a small price to pay comparatively.

Or one can choose the mail in route.

You would starve to death in our military,if you could not imagine standing in line for an hour.

Once again, a leading feature of Canadian reporting on your election is obscenely long lines, polling stations that have gone missing/didn't open, machines that don't count ballots cause its humid........

Its not that we never have issues up here, but I have to say, I've never waited more than 5m to vote in my life.

If they are American, they are not your compatriots, unless of course you are from Toronto, which would explain a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    He doesn't live in reality and neither do his supporters. RED WAVE, lol! Or, to quote Corey Lewandowski, "WOMP WOMP!"

Counting down the days to January. Thanks to the Republicans, House committee chairs now have unilateral subpoena power. Of course, when Republicans gave themselves that power, then didn't really think about what would happen down the road if Democrats ever took back the House, so it sure was nice of them to give Maxine Waters the unilateral ability to subpoena Donald Trump's tax returns. I can't wait to see what's in them! January here we come!

Trump's tax returns should be first order of business, Day 1. They need to open comprehensive investigations into every shady dealing from the criminal family squatting in the WH [[and there's a epic list).

Rescinding the beyond-idiotic tax changes should be Priority 2.

Restoring our global alliances and honoring our intl commitments should be Priority 3.
    Last edited by Bham1982; November-07-18 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Trump's tax returns should be first order of business, Day 1. They need to open comprehensive investigations into every shady dealing from the criminal family squatting in the WH [[and there's a epic list).

Rescinding the beyond-idiotic tax changes should be Priority 2.

Restoring our global alliances and honoring our intl commitments should be Priority 3.
    You do realize that most of this is far outside of what the House is empowered to do? Your "Day 1" order of business is probably going to be the entirely of what Pelosi and her friends accomplish in the next 2 years. The problem is Trump's real estate and business affairs are likely 100 [[maybe 1000) times larger than that of the Clintons during the Whitewater investigation, so I suspect we'll see the same result times 100. For those that enjoy extreme partisanship and political dirt, it's going to be a riot.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; November-07-18 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    You do realize that most of this is far outside of what the House is empowered to do?
    Nope. Everything I wrote is 100% within their legal purview.

House can subpoena Trump on almost anything [[thanks to Republicans, actually). House can absolutely pass legislation to revoke tax plan and thwart Trump's attempts and destroying our global alliances.

Of course, the latter two can't be fully accomplished without the Senate, but it's a start.

^ in case you have not noticed,the whole resist thing keeps ending in failure.

Let me guess,the proof of Russian collusion with the Trump administration is right around the corner,maybe Monday?

I'm not sure what your Canadian coverage is showing or why but the city in which I live voted about 72% Democratic for Governor and Senator yesterday and my precinct voted 90% in favor of Hillary in 2016. There was no one in line where I vote. Voting took 5 minutes. The non-existent lines could be because so many people voted at public libraries here weeks ahead of the election.

Jared Polis, first openly gay governor in Colorado....the state in which a baker refused to bake a cake for a gay couple?

The Donald stated he would take a "warlike posture" if the house dems investigate him. "them's fightin' words"

Although many factors contribute to stock prices and some pricing has been built in with the expectation that Democrats would take one or both houses, the Dow closed at 25,635 on election day and is up 385 points today. The most recent national unemployment rate was 3.7% at the end of October. Let's see where those numbers go in a year. Maybe the possible Democratic agenda of get Trump will somehow make them go up or down.

Of course, the latter two can't be fully accomplished without the Senate, but it's a start.
    Yeah, the Senate with 51 Republicans[[Possibly 52) and several DINOs, and a Republican President are just "tiny" sticking points in your agenda.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; November-07-18 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Although many factors contribute to stock prices and some pricing has been built in with the expectation that Democrats would take one or both houses, the Dow closed at 25,635 on election day and is up 385 points today. The most recent national unemployment rate was 3.7% at the end of October. Let's see where those numbers go in a year. Maybe the possible Democratic agenda of get Trump will somehow make them go up or down.
    Already setting up the excuses, eh? So if the economy is still doing well, all praises and credit will go to Dear Leader. If the economy takes a downturn, it will somehow be the fault of the House, and only the House? Not the Senate, not the President? Even though Democrats are not in a position to unilaterally pass any legislation whatsoever with control over only one chamber of Congress?

Since Trump does have the unilateral power to enact tariffs, I think Americans will know who to blame when industries affected by those tariffs begin laying off workers.

FYI, The DJIA has been fluctuating by 1500 points all year long.

I believe the markets want stability. They don't like uncertainty and got silly before a few elections, then went up just after, no matter who won or lost.

I'm thinking Donald had a bad night. Seems to me, he can't take the heat.

https://nowthisnews.com/videos/polit...nns-jim-acosta

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Jared Polis, first openly gay governor in Colorado....the state in which a baker refused to bake a cake for a gay couple?
    Two different senaios,one is now in a position where he is accountable to everybody and another that was a private business which should have the right to refuse service to whom they choose.

Chick fillet is a private business that closes on sundays because of religious beliefs,should the government force them to open on sundays?

But Colorado brings us Rocky Mountain high,so there is that aspect.

But this is identity politics and divisive,him being gay should not matter,the two Muslim women that won,the women that won.

They all touted that part and in essence separated themselves from everybody else.

The one lady said exactly that,I am a Muslim woman and I am here,who cares if she is a woman or Muslim,she should be saying,I won because the voters felt that I was the best person for the job and trust me to look after everybody’s best interests.

Otherwise it looks like she got the job just because of what she was and not who she is.

Did the voters,vote him in because he was openly gay,or because they felt that he was the best man for the job?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast