Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

UFO Guest

Default Asylum in Canada

What would be a good reason for someone from here to ask for asylum?

My friend who came to America when he was one year old never became a citizen and now his country no longer exists.

In short, he is a man without a country. He has no citizenship anywhere.

The town he was born in exists but since he is half/half of the prior warring factions he would not feel safe going back there for fear of his life.
    Not too mention he only speaks english.

Would he stand a chance at getting asylum in Canada coming from living in the states for 35 yrs?

Any suggestion other than the obvious. He is afraid if he leaves he will not be allowed back if not granted asylum.
    Last edited by UFO; August-29-09 at 11:03 PM.

What is his status here? If he has his residency credentials, citizenship is irrelevant.

UFO Guest

yes, he has resident status here

I feel like this is twenty questions but why wouldn't / hasn't he applied for citizenship here? Also does he have a green card?

UFO Guest

He has a green card but cannot gain citizenship here because his own nation will not give him the proper documentation as to who he is.
    No valid passport no valid birth certificate.
    Immigration here will not help him at all. He is in a limbo for the past 20 yrs and when this green card expires he is screwed because they will not issue another without the valid passport.
    This will also affect his ability to work here leagally should this come to pass.

The new country that was formed refuses to recognize anyone who is racially mixed with the other.

It does not matter that he was born there and half of them, they do not care.

As far as becoming a citizen here after 20 yrs of being abused by the system he has just become bitter and sees our government as oppressive.

He said he may just cross over in Vermont or Maine and say screw it.He says Its like he's an illegal here anyway. He figures whats the difference.
    Last edited by UFO; August-30-09 at 10:33 AM.

OK, I promise to be nice...

1) you don't need a valid foreign passport to get your green card renewed. I know because my mother is still a German citizen, and she didn't require her expired German passport when I helped her renew it. Your friend may possibly not be able to get citizenship, but getting a green card renewed [[costs about $170) shouldn't be a problem. So leaving for Canada sounds a bit extreme...

2) which country is he from? This almost sounds like Fez from "That 70s Show", by keeping us in suspense by not knowing which country!

UFO Guest

Problem is he lost the actual card. He cannot get a copy because immigration will not allow him to just come in to prove his identity by fingerprinting and eye scns since they have them already on file, they require an actual valid passport which by the way all greencard holders must possess otherwise it is a deportable offense.

He is from an African nation. Someone here might know him so I'd rather not mention exactly where.

ccbatson Guest

Get an immigration attorney to help. Yes, I know, it will be expensive...blah blah, blah. Priorities take precedent, beg, borrow, or, gasp, save and get it taken care of properly.

Whats he worried about? We don't deport people in the USA.

ccbatson Guest

Good point.

Being a trivia buff.... I'm curious at what country "no longer exists"?

In Africa lets see....

Somalia is without a functioning government... but it still exists...

Tanganyka and Zanzibar merged in the 1960s as Tanzania, and therefore no longer exist as separate entities...

Spanish Sahara was de-colonialized and it ceased to exist when it was divided between Morocco and Mauritania....

Hmmm.....

I went the same place you did, Gistok, inquiring minds want to know.

UFO, I was reading your other thread, and looking at this one. Friend, you need a serious attitude adjustment. You see only closed doors, and reject any idea that it might be perfectly fine to just open one of those doors. Others make suggestions, and you toss them away like trash. Sometimes, trash can hide an opportunity. Never stop looking for that pony. Wake up and smell the coffee. These cliches illustrate, you are not the first to fall into these doldrums, and you will not be the last. Others have climbed out, or stayed in, it is entirely up to them.

Maybe Canada will be an opportunity, or maybe he will just get deported back to the good old US. Either way, sitting looking at closed doors isn't getting anyone anywhere.

thatguy123 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Being a trivia buff.... I'm curious at what country "no longer exists"?

In Africa lets see....

Somalia is without a functioning government... but it still exists...

Tanganyka and Zanzibar merged in the 1960s as Tanzania, and therefore no longer exist as separate entities...

Spanish Sahara was de-colonialized and it ceased to exist when it was divided between Morocco and Mauritania....

Hmmm.....
    One thing I can think of is perhaps the bloke had the same luck I did and was born in Salisbury [[Harare) during the mid 70s. The only problem with that is Zimbabwe recognizes white citizens who were residents of Rhodesia [[I still have a passport issued from them) and have no issues at all going to visit my Father there each year.

A lot of southern african nations went through civil wars and such but never broke apart.

Rwanda had a pretty bloody war between 2 opposing factions but it still exists.

Zaire become the DR Congo, that is a possibility but had more to do with different military factions being in control and not 2 ethnic groups.

Cabinda fought Angola for independence but are considered part of Angola today even though they govern themselves so it is another possibility but unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Problem is he lost the actual card. He cannot get a copy because immigration will not allow him to just come in to prove his identity by fingerprinting and eye scns since they have them already on file, they require an actual valid passport which by the way all greencard holders must possess otherwise it is a deportable offense.

He is from an African nation. Someone here might know him so I'd rather not mention exactly where.
    Since when?

INS is a bitch to deal with, I agree, but, I've never been asked to produce a passport despite my 5 year struggle with them to replace a stolen green card.

p.s. I finally resolved it by sheer stubborness in refusing to leave the office until my situation was resolved. My sister has had a 6 year battle with them despite the fact she has lived in the USA all of her 50 years. Mom didn't trust American doctors and returned to give birth in Windsor to all 3 of my sisters.
    Last edited by jams; August-31-09 at 10:56 AM.

I don't know if this applies to your situation.

"Canada will stop letting in asylum seekers from some of the world's most volatile and dangerous countries if the would-be refugees first landed in the United States.
    Refugee claimants from Afghanistan, Haiti, Iraq, the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Zimbabwe – countries that have so-called temporary suspension of removal [[TSR) status due to their volatile political conditions – will no longer be able to come to Canada from the United States and then seek asylum, unless they have family already here."

http://www.thestar.com/article/671702

ccbatson Guest

Canadians are a bit slow on the uptake for these things.