Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

This part of the article is perhaps the most intriguing:

All but three of the 98 major metro areas studied showed a drop in the share of jobs located within 3 miles of downtown, even though the overall number of jobs in those areas increased slightly during the 1998- to-2006 study period.
    I wonder which 3 metro areas those were? And what are those communities doing differently than the other 95?

If you're interested here is the actual report: http://www.brookings.edu/reports/2009/~/media/Files/rc/reports/2009/0406_job_sprawl_kneebone/20090406_jobsprawl_kneebone.pdf

The 3 metro areas to buck the trend and become MORE "job central" so-to-speak were...drum roll please...

Milwaukee, WI

Chattanooga, TN
    Ventura, CA

But I didn't read why.

I did. Smaller metros are not as congested downtown. Detroit had he least new jobs in the central district -because of the trend to move away.

Since in the Archer administration grant businesses who worked in the suburbs 15 to 50% N.E.Z. tax break for 12 more businesses have move to Downtown Detroit then ever. OCP Compuware and Ernst and Young did their part and I hope other businesses would do the same.