Autum Colors
AUTUMN COLORS ABLAZE »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Default Local Vote on TUESDAY !

    Hey everybody - please go out and vote on Tuesday. I mean everybody, all sides.

    For anyone in my corner of the world up here in Oakland County's outer ring burbs, we very much need people to take a look at school board members. I live in the wondrous Hills of Farmington, so our school district is Farmington Public Schools. As you have seen the news lately, recently, or even in the last few years, this district is in serious trouble and needs some actual leadership. It doesn't matter if you have children in this district, if you own any type of property or business this should be of critical interest because the current state of the district can negatively impact all values.

    Just one quick example, this affluent district is one of the only one of it's kind in the region to have never built one single modern school building in the 21st century. Most of the buildings were constructed before I was born in the middle of the last century. Even Detroit gets newly constructed schools.

    My personal shout out for Farmington School Board is Pam Green. She is a former administrator, and her children are alumni. More on Pam and a link to her Oakland County web page here: http://detroitfunk.com/pam-green-for-fps-school-board/

    VOTE! LOCAL AND NATIONAL - DO IT !

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Just one quick example, this affluent district is one of the only one of it's kind in the region to have never built one single modern school building in the 21st century. Most of the buildings were constructed before I was born in the middle of the last century. Even Detroit gets newly constructed schools.
    This is one of the gauges I use to evaluate school districts. A failing school district that builds new school buildings is a sign that it's out of ideas. Spending money on buildings should be the *very last* thing you do with education monies. You *should* be investing in teachers.

    My elementary school was built in the early 20's. It didn't have air conditioning and was heated with radiators. The auditorium was also the gym, and the cafeteria. The school office was the size of a small living room. It's still in use to this day. IT'S FINE. The district administration building is in a repurposed elementary school building. It think the district has built exactly one new building in the last 40 years - an add-on to an existing school. It's one of the top school districts in the state to this day, because instead of letting their existing buildings rot they maintain them, and they treat their teachers well.

  3. #3

    Default

    Voting results...

    Proposal 1 legalizing recreational Mary Janes passed!!!

    proposal 2 end redistricting Gerrymandering by politicians passed!!!

    proposal 3 legalizing requested statewide
    absentee voting passed!!!
    Last edited by Danny; November-05-18 at 06:49 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    Because Tuesday is such a great day
    -- based on farming horse drawn carriages.

    America is a high tech, progressive powerhouse of the economic world

    https://youtu.be/9WvoGlQ7zH8

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Because Tuesday is such a great day
    -- based on farming horse drawn carriages.

    America is a high tech, progressive powerhouse of the economic world

    https://youtu.be/9WvoGlQ7zH8
    Seriously fix this and end daylight savings time and you'll have my vote. But the assholes in Washington are too busy fighting with each other to solve problems.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Seriously fix this and end daylight savings time and you'll have my vote. But the assholes in Washington are too busy fighting with each other to solve problems.
    Yes! Provided we stay one hour ahead. In other words, extend daylight savings all year. We should maximize our daylight for when most people are awake. When the sun sets at 5PM in the middle of the winter it's dreadful. It's not easy getting out of bed before the sun comes up, but it's worse when the day is already over before you've even left work. Most people are busier during the evenings than before the sun rises.

    Back on topic, I do hope everyone votes, whatever your political inclination. There are important races for Governor and Senate this year, and some interesting ballot proposals.

  7. #7

    Default

    I sent in my absentee ballot about a week ago. No sense in wasting time. Michigan needs early voting.

  8. #8

    Default

    Nevada has great early voting all in your local neighborhoods. The great majority of the state has already voted. Another reason I'm glad I moved here. Oh.....did I mention....no state or local income taxes?

  9. #9

    Default

    Sent in my absentee ballot weeks ago.

  10. #10

    Default

    Go Gretchen Whitmer Go!!!

  11. #11

    Default

    Gretchen Whitmer is showing an early 50% lead in the governor race.

    Most of the counted votes so far for the three proposals each are "yes".

    Voted in Wyandotte Precinct 10.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Yes! Provided we stay one hour ahead. In other words, extend daylight savings all year. We should maximize our daylight for when most people are awake. When the sun sets at 5PM in the middle of the winter it's dreadful. It's not easy getting out of bed before the sun comes up, but it's worse when the day is already over before you've even left work. Most people are busier during the evenings than before the sun rises.

    Aw crap! I agree with you.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Happy election day everyone!

    Welp, it looks like Whitmer has this in the bag! All the proposals look like they have a very strong chance of passing as well (Detroit the new Amsterdam?), I'm only worried about the attorney general.

  14. #14

    Default

    Good bye Mike Bishop! I'm so happy to see him gone. He's been a tool for the Trump administration.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    Happy election day everyone!

    Welp, it looks like Whitmer has this in the bag! All the proposals look like they have a very strong chance of passing as well (Detroit the new Amsterdam?), I'm only worried about the attorney general.
    You should worry about the AG. I went to high school with Tom Leonard and while he was 3 grades behind me in tiny Montrose MI and I do not know him personally I know his family quite well, and I am sure his connections are the only reason his mother is not in jail.

    I really hope the numbers hold as they are and he loses. His misleading political ads about working the mean streets of Flint are laughable, the dude has only tried 6 cases in his career.

  16. #16

    Default

    I'm hearing that Schuette avoided mentioning his endorsement by Trump throughout his campaign yet still he lost.

    Trump is the kind of friend you'd wish you didn't have.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Nevada has great early voting all in your local neighborhoods. The great majority of the state has already voted. Another reason I'm glad I moved here. Oh.....did I mention....no state or local income taxes?
    You also elected a dead Republican pimp.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Good bye Mike Bishop! I'm so happy to see him gone. He's been a tool for the Trump administration.

    So very happy about this!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    you also elected a dead republican pimp.
    lol!!!!!!!!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES! [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.