Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Settling Aretha's Estate

most notable are the decorative bars on the interior of the windows

listing here

BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP, MI --Aretha Franklin's Bloomfield Township home is up for sale and while it's empty now, it's decked out in the way you'd expect the Queen of Soul's home to be and for the community its in, it's quite affordable.
    https://patch.com/michigan/royaloak/...lins-home-sale
    Last edited by hybridy; October-31-18 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    most notable are the decorative bars on the interior of the windows

listing here

https://patch.com/michigan/royaloak/...lins-home-sale
    That asking price [[800k) does seem low for that area, even for a house that's being dumped to settle an estate. It may be in somewhat rough shape inside though. I understand that as Aretha aged and became ill and infirm she mostly lived downtown and wasn't in that house very much over the past few years.

seems comps are $250-300/SF so the house is listed at low end, though it is very dated.

HOA fees are $833/Month [[yikes)

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    seems comps are $250-300/SF so the house is listed at low end, though it is very dated.

HOA fees are $833/Month [[yikes)
    + Homesteaded taxes probably $15K to $20K/year. Shheesh

That's a deal for someone that has the means.

The window and door bars are a detraction. If white they may look better...

That house has all the charm and the look of a cheap banquet hall from the early 1990s. And don't you think the realtor or somebody else could have swept up all the debris from the floors before taking the photos? Anyhow, it is evident from the pictures that the house obviously needs a lot of repair work, hence the bargain basement price.

I don't get the bars.

Who wants to live in a prison? It's already in a gated sub with full-time guards in the guardhouse. Probably has an alarm going right to the police station,.. and that area has 2 min police response times.

And Aretha was never a controversial or hated figure.

I agree with Sy on the house's appeal. I think it would be a total gut and re-do,.. perhaps even a tear-down. The inside it atrocious. Years of not being lived in means $200k + in repairs. A high-end house flipper will end up buying it for $675k and gutting it.
    Last edited by Bigdd; November-01-18 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    I don't get the bars.

Who wants to live in a prison? It's already in a gated sub with full-time guards in the guardhouse. Probably has an alarm going right to the police station,.. and that area has 2 min police response times.

unfortunate side effect of celebrity. im sure lots of guests and friends of friends were invited to the home over the years. perhaps there was an incident here or in detroit, but the paranoia is hard to shake. the location is prime and i think it makes for a good flip. wonder if there was water damage in basement? appears there was a lot of carpet pulled out. chimney also looks sketchy.

budget for all new roof, windows, doors, flooring, kitchen and baths. plus new HVAC + electrical upgrades. whoever did security has hacked a bunch of wires around the whole exterior to the back of the home. new driveway and landscaping to boot.

1.5M finished isn't a fetch, but it will take +250K for a clean rehab.
    Last edited by hybridy; November-01-18 at 08:25 AM.

This property is hideous and needs a ton of work. Probably 250k work, easy.

It's actually a condo, BTW. This community consists of detached condos. The community is gated and has armed security, and Bloomfield police station is like 30 seconds from here, so no clue re. the prison bar "accents".

Franklin used to live nearby on Echo Rd. in Bloomfield, in a regular house, with no apparent security. I trick-or-treated her house as a kid.
    Last edited by Bham1982; November-01-18 at 09:09 AM.

Time to call Tarek & Christina, flip or flop!

Quote Originally Posted by pjbear05 View Post
    Time to call Tarek & Christina, flip or flop!
    sorry but those dysfunctional twits are not designers...'grey or beige' is as deep as they dig

I'd remove the window bars but beyond that I don't see how folks would classify this place as "devastated".. but I guess if you can comfortably afford an $800K house, then another $100+ in renovations is par for the course, I guess.. lol..

You have to understand a person's life experiences to understand their actions....Her Father [[whom she adored) was shot in his own home..causing his death, which was preceded by time spent in a comatose state. She had a good reason to be paranoid in her own home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    I don't get the bars.

I agree with Sy on the house's appeal. I think it would be a total gut and re-do,.. perhaps even a tear-down. The inside it atrocious. Years of not being lived in means $200k + in repairs. A high-end house flipper will end up buying it for $675k and gutting it.

^^^ So glad you brought that up D. I'd forgotten about that horrid incident. Indeed it probably had an impact on her, on many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by De'troiter View Post
    You have to understand a person's life experiences to understand their actions....Her Father [[whom she adored) was shot in his own home..causing his death, which was preceded by time spent in a comatose state. She had a good reason to be paranoid in her own home.

That and being a celebrity, you always have the fanatic "admirer" or souvenir hunter aspect to contend with. I don't blame her one bit. It does suck to have to live like that, though.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...cid=spartandhp

Must need a ton of work, going for this price. Didn't know she still owned the mansion in Detroit. The one in WB is still on the market.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-24-18 at 09:37 AM.

I would hazard to guess that there are liens on that property. Dear sainted Aretha was not very diligent at paying her bills.

And who puts cedar chipboard in a house worth more than $50K? Dang. The bars on the windows I actually understand, but not the chipboard.

That Detroit home probably couldn't be replicated for $2 million, yet sold for 300k, and includes adjacent lot, and arguably on fanciest street in Detroit.

There's progress in the city proper, esp. downtown/midtown but a LONG way to go. Absurdly low property values. In a regular functioning big city, even the vacant lot on the best street should go for more than 300k.

I'd be willing to bet that within 10 years the purchaser will be able to make a handsome profit on the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    That Detroit home probably couldn't be replicated for $2 million, yet sold for 300k, and includes adjacent lot, and arguably on fanciest street in Detroit.

There's progress in the city proper, esp. downtown/midtown but a LONG way to go. Absurdly low property values. In a regular functioning big city, even the vacant lot on the best street should go for more than 300k.
    Prices in Detroit neighborhoods certainly have a long way to go before the market could be described as healthy. But even by Detroit standards, $300K for a Hamilton Road/Detroit Golf Club property is low. Given that sale price, Ms. Franklin's former home most assuredly has significant condition issues. She had well documented problems maintaining her properties, especially the ones where she spent no time. Well kept homes bordering on the DGC are fetching at least $500K.

Video inside the home. The property has some issues, I still think it sold for a song and a dance...
    https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fox2d...-s-former-home

No question, he got a deal. Fix and upgrade what needs to be repaired, and he can potentially make a nice profit on it, if he decides to sell it. Just knowing that the Queen of Soul once owned it, even adds to the allure.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-29-18 at 03:46 AM.

More like an outside look at the home.

Lol...I love the little plug for Tiger Woods to rent it for the PGA Tour next June. Hope he’s got a good crew- a decent reno will take more then 6 months

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast