Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

So...an investor bought it...with the PGA tour coming to the same course next year for a major tournament?? Ye gads...what was he thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Lol...I love the little plug for Tiger Woods to rent it for the PGA Tour next June. Hope he’s got a good crew- a decent reno will take more then 6 months
    It will be kind of interesting to see if the new owner goes for the $650k flip after a $40k Home Depot "renovation" or if he attempts a quality restoration. The place needs a lot of work.

More interior pictures from Detroit Curbed.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2018/11/3...old-renovation

The interior is a mess and that slate roof must leak a lot just look at the plaster damage. Slate roof repairs are expensive and he hopes to have it done by early summer!

Any decent renovation will be well into six-figures.

The slate roof alone is a total replacement? What would that be, like 60k for a house of this size? Windows would be what, 25k? Bathrooms are probably 15k-20k each. Kitchen could be 40k.

And people wonder why folks buy McMansions.

I love old homes but don't think I would ever live in one. I'd rather enjoy them vicariously. Way too much work.
    Last edited by Bham1982; November-30-18 at 04:18 PM.

Slate roofs are usually able to be repaired. Major repairs of slate roof 20-40k.
    Total replacement of slate roof of 6200 square foot house $100,000. plus.

Bathrooms 30k each, new furnace[[boilers) 25,k. Kitchen 50-80k. Then there is electrical etc. I live in an old slate roofed house about a half mile away and I can't imagine leaving that house vacant for ten years, the hidden damage must be terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    More interior pictures from Detroit Curbed.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2018/11/3...old-renovation

The interior is a mess and that slate roof must leak a lot just look at the plaster damage. Slate roof repairs are expensive and he hopes to have it done by early summer!

What in the world!. Crappy taste.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    Slate roofs are usually able to be repaired. Major repairs of slate roof 20-40k.
    Total replacement of slate roof of 6200 square foot house $100,000. plus.

Bathrooms 30k each, new furnace[[boilers) 25,k. Kitchen 50-80k. Then there is electrical etc. I live in an old slate roofed house about a half mile away and I can't imagine leaving that house vacant for ten years, the hidden damage must be terrible.
    Wow. So to get this house in near-mint, move-in condition [[which is what a lot of busy professional families want), you could spend 300k, easy.

I really do think a lot of higher income families just say F it and buy something out on Rochester Hills or Northville, not because they love the McMansion look, but because it's much easier/cheaper in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    That Detroit home probably couldn't be replicated for $2 million, yet sold for 300k, and includes adjacent lot, and arguably on fanciest street in Detroit.

There's progress in the city proper, esp. downtown/midtown but a LONG way to go. Absurdly low property values. In a regular functioning big city, even the vacant lot on the best street should go for more than 300k.
    It was a fire sale because they want to liquidate the estate as quickly as possible. They could have gotten much more for that house even in its current condition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2