Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    I would much rather see a push to expand MoGo than add more of these electric toys.

The issues they cause outweigh the benefits. What's wrong with just walking or riding a bike...
    I would like to see expansion of the MoGo bike too. I guess it's easier to just drop a scooter wherever & whenever you're done with it than to take a MoGo bike to a docking station.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    This is what I don't like about them as well. No matter what city I've seen them in [[NYC, DC, SF, LA), there is a problem with them being left in the middle of sidewalks. But that problem is fixable.
    Totally. Fixed it!

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I would like to see expansion of the MoGo bike too. I guess it's easier to just drop a scooter wherever & whenever you're done with it than to take a MoGo bike to a docking station.

And you don't have to peddle a scooter.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I use them a bit in the CBD. There are no bike lanes down here, so I mostly ride on the sidewalk at the bottom end of the speed available. I'm mid 60s with bad knees so it works out for me, although I do get some weird looks as I scooter around with a suit and tie on.
    Ha! If I was running the scooter companies, I would hire you as my poster boy. That image speaks a lot to what they are positively achieving.

One would think such scooters would be ideal for beat cops. It would give them wider range and quicker response while the department not having the bother of investment and maintenance.

Always wondered what prevents someone from making it their personal vehicle.......especially out in remote places. Would it violate the providers policy?

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Always wondered what prevents someone from making it their personal vehicle.......especially out in remote places. Would it violate the providers policy?
    You want to ride around in an 15 mph electric scooter in rural MI in a January snowstorm? While a caravan of SUVs and pickups grows behind you?

THIS is what happens on scooters in the D

https://youtu.be/AVF6FYNp5Lg

Scooters are a great idea - in warm climates. But not really practical in Michigan's climate since much of the year it's rain, freezing cold temps, streets covered with snow, slush and ice. Even 40 degrees feels uncomfortable when riding a scooter unless you're dressed for it.
    Last edited by Pat001; November-02-18 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post

I'm sure that kind of stuff happens everywhere, but good point. The scooters are like anything else in life. Some people will use them as intended, and some people will abuse them or use them for crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    You want to ride around in an 15 mph electric scooter in rural MI in a January snowstorm? While a caravan of SUVs and pickups grows behind you?
    No, I meant in a location where others weren’t likely to rent them. IOW, you are the sole user.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    Scooters are a great idea - in good weather. But not really practical in Michigan's climate since much of the year it's rain, freezing cold temps, streets covered with snow, slush and ice. Even 40 degrees feels uncomfortable when riding a scooter unless you're dressed for it.
    Actualy they can become quite toasty,which may help on those cold winter days.

They are being recalled because of battery fires.

https://www.businessinsider.com/lime...g-fire-2018-10

Those scooters, I was told, have tracking devices in them so they could be left in the roughest most economically deprived neighborhood and no one would bother to steal them. The riders are reckless riding those things on the sidewalks almost running into pedestrians. They need scooter training classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    One would think such scooters would be ideal for beat cops.
    I'm guessing the police would have an issue with that, if for no other reason than
    Name:  602e0d8698_blart_03262009.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  69.2 KB

These have turned into rental toys for people. I was at rosa parks transit center and people are just using them as toys and hanging out on them. I agree with the earlier posted that soon these will be a thing of the pass because the cost to profit just isn't there and people are abusing the heck outta these things.
    People treat it like crap because, " I don't care cause it ain't mine " attitude.
    People treat them like trash and that's got to affect the bottom line of these companies.
    The companies won't be able to keep this up for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm sure that kind of stuff happens everywhere, but good point. The scooters are like anything else in life. Some people will use them as intended, and some people will abuse them or use them for crime.

It will be interesting to see how maintenance costs affect the long term business model of the scooter companies. These devices are being mercilessly abused by users. Saw some Bird scooters on MSU campus a few days ago that seemed to have years of scratches and wear and tear and they were only put in service about six weeks ago. What will winter do? Are they really that durable? Repair costs have to kill a projected ROI it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post

I actually found that vaguely interesting. I think the building they were riding in was State Hall at WSU.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    It will be interesting to see how maintenance costs affect the long term business model of the scooter companies. These devices are being mercilessly abused by users. Saw some Bird scooters on MSU campus a few days ago that seemed to have years of scratches and wear and tear and they were only put in service about six weeks ago. What will winter do? Are they really that durable? Repair costs have to kill a projected ROI it would seem.
    We have them here to,they replaced the free bike thing,you used to see the bright pink bikes tossed in the ditches and such.

How are you guys even riding bicycles in the winter anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    These have turned into rental toys for people. I was at rosa parks transit center and people are just using them as toys and hanging out on them. I agree with the earlier posted that soon these will be a thing of the pass because the cost to profit just isn't there and people are abusing the heck outta these things.
    People treat it like crap because, " I don't care cause it ain't mine " attitude.
    People treat them like trash and that's got to affect the bottom line of these companies.
    The companies won't be able to keep this up for long.

All true. I hope the COD doesn't get it in their heads to keep subsidizing the scooters if they're running @ a loss. I do think it's cool to see people using them to get from one destination to another, or carrying groceries on them. Trying one out is also on my short list. Someone take up a collection for flowers.

Ford buying e-scooter startup Spin

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKCN1ND0F2

Maybe they will offer me one to get back to the office while they fix my latest recall

After Michigan Central whatever Ford wants, Ford gets. This fits completely with the mobility image they are chasing. 400 "Ford" scooters will be added to downtown and beyond.

So how is this working out up there ?

Here in Tampa [[spin) it is somewhat of a disaster.

They are being left laying across the sidewalk,parked in front of doors,laying on thier side at the docking stations instead of upright,once they try and go outside of the boundary and the GPS shuts them down they just drop them and continue on.

They are supposed to be restricted in heavy foot traffic sections but they zoom through cussing walkers and demanding right of way.

The city counsel is re-evaluating thier whole role,it’s not the scooters themselves,there just seems to be a big lack of consideration on the riders part.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

They are being left laying across the sidewalk,parked in front of doors,laying on thier side at the docking stations instead of upright,once they try and go outside of the boundary and the GPS shuts them down they just drop them and continue on.

They are supposed to be restricted in heavy foot traffic sections but they zoom through cussing walkers and demanding right of way.

The city counsel is re-evaluating thier whole role,it’s not the scooters themselves,there just seems to be a big lack of consideration on the riders part.
    When I was in Detroit last weekend I saw lots of them laying around although I must admit we walked around downtown and the riverfront quite a bit and didn't see people being discourteous while riding. I live in the Toronto area and it was on the news today that the city just signed a contract for them but will be determining where they can be used. I can't imagine them being on Toronto's clogged sidewalks.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

These are very popular during the warm months of the year. People are zooming around in these things like crazy. There are 3 scooter companies in town - Bird, Spin, and Lime, and a 4th company, called Boaz Bikes, just launched mini-electric bikes.

These things are left on the sidewalk, but I haven't noticed a lot of people getting angry about it. Actually, at the conclusion of one's use of their scooter, the SPIN app makes you take a photo of the scooter in the position that you leave it in. I am thinking they make you do that to make sure that you are leaving it in an upright position and off to the side.

Here they have little docking stations scattered about as return points that they are supposed to be returned to.

So when the gps shuts the motor down they reported that it becomes like any other non powered scooter,I am thinking if one needs to use the app to activate and photo required on return they can hold the actual renter responsible and bar from future use.

I watched a cop show in Miami where they charged a guy with theft when he took one to just cruise around non powered,but they could not contact somebody from the actual company in order to press charges,so they let him go.
    A lot of our sidewalks are vintage and not very wide,the issue becomes when they are dropped sideways it creates navigation problems for people in wheelchairs.

I wonder if the issue is more so some just grabbing them and useing them without renting them,maybe they could have a interlock brake tied to the GPS and a locking docking station?

I like the concept,we ditch the car when going to Key West and rent mopeds to transit around and it is fun.

I guess it is like anything else,there is always some that will abuse it,just need to maybe tweak it a bit.
    Last edited by Richard; June-28-19 at 09:07 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast