Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Belle Isle Memorial to Covid 19 Victims

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...t-to-covid-19/

The city of Detroit is set to unveil a memorial on Belle Isle displaying the pictures of 900 of the 1,500 Detroiters lost to coronavirus.

The Grillmaster and I drove through the memorial on Belle Isle early this evening. It was crowded, but the cars moved along. Very moving display to see the faces and the names....and in some cases, their families nearby mourning their loved ones.

I've tried without success to find how long this display will remain up, but can find no dates. Anybody?

This is stupid. Where are the mass memorials for gun victims, or traffic accidents, cancer, heart failure or anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    This is stupid. Where are the mass memorials for gun victims, or traffic accidents, cancer, heart failure or anything else?
    We lost half the death count of 9/11 in Detroit since March to Covid-19. Anyone with any sense at all should be able to figure it out...
    Last edited by Gistok; September-02-20 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I've tried without success to find how long this display will remain up, but can find no dates. Anybody?
    Today, Wednesday, is the last day, according to what I read in the Freep article.

Certainly when there is a catastrophic loss of life such as in a plane crash, or fire, or massacre, there are mass memorials. While the loss of life has been over the last six months rather than at a single instance, this pandemic is taking lives, and depriving families of being with their loved ones at the end of their lives as well as depriving them of mourning with family and friends together, so this Detroit Memorial is a way to help ease their pain and to allow those who couldn't attend services to be there now. These 1500 Detroiters have have died due to COVID-19 tell us that the situation is real!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Certainly when there is a catastrophic loss of life such as in a plane crash, or fire, or massacre, there are mass memorials. While the loss of life has been over the last six months rather than at a single instance, this pandemic is taking lives, and depriving families of being with their loved ones at the end of their lives as well as depriving them of mourning with family and friends together, so this Detroit Memorial is a way to help ease their pain and to allow those who couldn't attend services to be there now. These 1500 Detroiters have have died due to COVID-19 tell us that the situation is real!
    Most of them died within the span of two months.

Just stop! Your comment was stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Just stop! Your comment was stupid
    He's in the Trump Cult.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    He's in the Trump Cult.
    I believe you are correct sir. So disrespectful.

Well stated Kathleen:

As I said before those choosing to negate the specific, and concentrated death tolls resultant of C-19 will continue [[unless it impacts them personally).

Exaggeration [[we're all gonna die!) is not useful either. I seek balance.

I plan to go see the memorial in the spirit of what it will mean to me [[five people I know died, ten contracted C-19) this weekend if it remains.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    ...These 1500 Detroiters have have died due to COVID-19 tell us that the situation is real!
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-03-20 at 08:16 PM.

I don't know if I informed everyone here that my brother was one of the victims of Covid-19. I couldn't make it on the day that was reserved for families and wasn't sure if I would be able to make it out at all. So I told my Facebook family that if they went out there to tell me where his picture was and try to take a picture standing near it. Each person that sent a picture had something nice to say about my brother. We were very close and so it was hard getting through each person's tribute. However, the fact that the tributes were so wonderful made me feel blessed to have such a beautiful human being as a brother. I give kudos to the City of Detroit and the Ford Motor Company and others for undertaking such a wonderful memorial.

BTW, I did get out to the memorial late Tuesday night. It took and hour just to get to my brother's picture. It was so sad to go through all the pictures of the people before him and he was with the Gs. Tough to see pictures of married couples or families with multiple family members' pictures. Nice to see the balloons and flowers or actual relatives next to the pictures. Covid-19 took a lot of wonderful people.
    Last edited by royce; September-03-20 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    I don't know if I informed everyone here that my brother was one of the victims of Covid-19. I couldn't make it on the day that was reserved for families and wasn't sure if I would be able to make it out at all. So I told my Facebook family that if they went out there to tell me where his picture was and try to take a picture standing near it. Each person that sent a picture had something nice to say about my brother. We were very close and so it was hard getting through each person's tribute. However, the fact that the tributes were so wonderful made me feel blessed to have such a beautiful human being as a brother. I give kudos to the City of Detroit and the Ford Motor Company and others for undertaking such a wonderful memorial.

BTW, I did get out to the memorial late Tuesday night. It took and hour just to get to my brother's picture. It was so sad to go through all the pictures of the people before him and he was with the Gs. Tough to see pictures of married couples or families with multiple family members' pictures. Nice to see the balloons and flowers or actual relatives next to the pictures. Covid-19 took a lot of wonderful people.
    So very sorry on the loss of your brother royce.
    Last edited by Maof; September-03-20 at 07:06 PM.

Thx, Maof.

Royce: Our condolences to you and your family on the loss of your brother and son. May all the good memories sustain you every day!

I send my heart felt condolences for your loss Royce. I'm happy you got to participate in the event and I hope it helped bring some warmth and closure.

From the descriptions I have heard of the event I am reminded of the Mexican Day of the Dead ceremonies where families gather at the gravesites of their loved ones in the night lighting candles and communing. I think [and expect] a day to honor the victims of this pandemic should be established.

^^^ I'm for that. Such an honoring is indeed fitting.

Thx, Lowell and Kathleen. My loss was only my brother, Kathleen.

Royce, I meant that your family lost a brother and a son and and more. Take care!

Is there a video of the memorial out there? I was not able to make it to the island to see.....

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Is there a video of the memorial out there? I was not able to make it to the island to see.....
    https://youtu.be/g0do-ZqwJRQ

My condolences for your loss.

I was out there with my sons and I didn't even know that there was a memorial. Very moving, very well done. I was surprised to see how many people died from the virus.

Washington burned with TRUMP fiddled with his golf game.