Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Incinerator ever present in Detroit ?

Is the incinerator at the corner of Russell and Ferry,
    a Detroit entity that will never, ever, ever go away from society ?

The odors, the health risks, etc., etc - and all with minimal fines.
    Incinerating """stuff""" aka garbage/sludge is a damn hard balancing act

Last edited by O3H; October-19-18 at 07:42 PM.

A lot of decent people in the 1970s believed that it was a good thing to build it, and against the backdrop of Detroit's ambient pollution at the time, it probably wasn't that big a deal.

But on a weekend when the trash is piling up, a high pressure system is overhead, or the mercury is rising, the whole neighborhood has a smell that could knock a buzzard off a dung wagon.

https://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/w...t?oid=11022315

Madison Heights still today has the smokestacks from their Incinerator.
    The Southeastern Oakland County Resource Recovery Authority sued the city for closing it.
    It was built in 1955 and has been a landmark all my life in SouthEast Michigan
    I believe Auburn Hills also had an Incinerator at one point in time.
    It's all about those poor folks who are down wind and/or primarily east of it.

Dispute with Detroit Renewable Energy on Russell Street
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2018/08/21/detroit-incinerator-seeks-odor-fix-neighbors-raise-stink/1045192002/

The Detroit facility receives more than 3,000 TONS - of garbage - EVERY day

The BioSolid facility doesn't fair much better i.e. drying sewage sludge for profit
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ion/101328136/

NEFCO will make amazing amounts of money via DWSD contracts
    for the drying/processing of sewage sludge for Detroit.
    Remember the Synagro contracts worth literally a Billion dollars ?

Last edited by O3H; October-20-18 at 02:03 PM.

Now that the GM Poletown plant is no longer burning coal [[the power plant was in Hamtramck, as Detroit has a coal ban) to fire the plant, are they getting it from Detroit Thermal? And if so, was this a long-term deal which, essentially, locks the incinerator into a long term contract?

The incinerator is there because it provides a service which is worth some quantifiable amount of money.

But how much financial loss does the incinerator cause by lowering the land values because of smell and medical risk? How much financial loss of all of the asthma and stuff that it contributes to?

NOT so sure that garbage and sewage should be privatized via Veolia.

Veolia is having serious problems moving into the Trump-fueled water and wastewater privatization businessbecause of its role in the ongoing Flint, Michigan, water poisoning disaster, reports Agence France Presse. The company is also mired in a similar controversy in Pittsburgh.

ALL trash and sewage should be processed locally, at least in the same county where residents generated it.

I can see more rural areas with less financial resources pooling their efforts.

That is not what happens in Michigan - we get trash from other countries.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rap..._canada_i.html

According to the DEQ report, 25 percent of waste disposed of in Michigan landfills is imported -- counting both trash brought in from Canada and from neighboring states.

https://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/01/snyder_renew_michigan_trash_ta.html

It's been my opinion since rumors of Gilbert buying the jail site was first reported that the incinerator is not long for this world.

The judges and attorneys ain't gonna go for that shit.

And you're just asking the city/county to be sued forcing those living conditions/health risks on those waiting trial who have not been convicted of anything.

The moment ground is broken for the new justice complex a timer is set for the eventual shutdown and demolition of the facility north on Russel.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    A lot of decent people in the 1970s believed that it was a good thing to build it, and against the backdrop of Detroit's ambient pollution at the time, it probably wasn't that big a deal.

But on a weekend when the trash is piling up, a high pressure system is overhead, or the mercury is rising, the whole neighborhood has a smell that could knock a buzzard off a dung wagon.

https://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/w...t?oid=11022315
    I drive and bicycle by a lot. The area sure does stink.

Defending the trash incinerator is a bit like defending Harvey Weinstein, you know. But here goes a contrarian take:

I'm not sure the smell is really from the incinerator. The stack discharge certainly shouldn't be smelled much locally. And that's highly regulated. Maybe the pile of garbage stinks, but what I think really stinks is the local rendering plant, and the trash transfer station -- neither of which are really the incinerator. [[Not sure this is true, anyone have an update on rendering plant? And if you don't know what rendering is, you need to look it up to understand the smell.)

I've always thought this plant was nowhere near as bad as the anti's claim. Far from perfect, but mostly this is an emblem for anti's -- and as such claims tend to be exaggerated.

I think the zoning board said similar smells need to be near each other.
    Not allowed to put the manure shop next to the candy manufacturer
    Last edited by O3H; October-27-18 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    According to the DEQ report, 25 percent of waste disposed of in Michigan landfills is imported -- counting both trash brought in from Canada and from neighboring states.
    If all communities that are financially able to were required to process their own waste, there would be no need to transport it.

Cities Pledge to Cut Waste Sent to Landfill, Incineration by 50%

The commitment made by 23 cities and regions globally will avoid
    disposal of at least 87 million tons of waste by 2030.

https://www.waste360.com/waste-reduc...ncineration-50

I'm not living over near there, regardless.

How about a listing of The Bad Smells of Old Detroit? I'll kick it off:
    The Herrud meat processing plant on Frederick.
    Wayne Soap [[Delray?)

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I drive and bicycle by a lot. The area sure does stink.

Defending the trash incinerator is a bit like defending Harvey Weinstein, you know. But here goes a contrarian take:

I'm not sure the smell is really from the incinerator. The stack discharge certainly shouldn't be smelled much locally. And that's highly regulated. Maybe the pile of garbage stinks, but what I think really stinks is the local rendering plant, and the trash transfer station -- neither of which are really the incinerator.
    Partly true. The poisons that issue from the stack are relatively odor-free. They are the more dangerous emissions, but do little to contribute to the facility's "bouquet."

The airplane hangar-sized building full of trash waiting to be burned is what causes the smell. This is documented in many verified complaints made to the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality's Air Quality Division. In other words, the DEQ has sent inspectors to the plant dozens of times to verify that the smells are indeed emanating from the trash facility. The trash facility is part of the incinerator.

Also, somebody had mentioned that the facility is on a long-term contract with GM's Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly, and therefore is locked in to continue to burn trash. There may be a contract, but it's worth noting that it is possible for the plant to burn natural gas to produce the steam and electricity it does with burned garbage. It has switched over to NG as recently, I believe, as earlier this year, while the facility's trash burners are serviced. While fossil fuels pose their own significant problems, it is entirely possible for the plant to switch to NG and continue to operate, with fewer health consequences.

Well all the sewage goo, and trash has to go somewhere
    -- in the ground, in the air or in the water -- and it will get there, eventually
    Last edited by O3H; November-03-18 at 04:09 PM.