Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

does anybody know what firm designed this addition?

Downtown-based Rossetti, the same architects of the original part of the tower.

9 days later and HUGE progress, yet again.

Previous picture: Steel done completely up to bottom of 7th floor
    Current picture: Steel done completely up to bottom of 9th floor, partially done for 10th floor

Also of note: I can no longer look down into the construction area from the top of the One Campus Martius parking garage, it's gone too high.

Name:  0117191439a_HDR.jpg
Views: 7784
Size:  168.2 KB

Amazes me how they managed to get that much done in a little around two months.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Good weather and a full crew of ironworkers.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    I was walking around downtown between 1 am and 2 am last week and I saw construction workers working on that steel structure.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I was walking around downtown between 1 am and 2 am last week and I saw construction workers working on that steel structure.
    Yeah I saw that crane cranking at around 11pm so I wonder if they are doing the majority of the work while OCM is empty

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Yeah I saw that crane cranking at around 11pm so I wonder if they are doing the majority of the work while OCM is empty
    They are. Almost all the steel has gone up during the overnight hours.

14 days later...

Previous picture:
    Steel done completely up to bottom of 9th floor, partially done for 10th floor
    Current picture: Steel done complete up to bottom of 10th floor, partially done for 11th floor

I can't get as good of a picture because of snow that prevent me and my fear of heights from getting near the edge of the parking structure...

Name:  OCM.jpg
Views: 2092
Size:  122.5 KB

After reading this Freep article, I made sure to photograph the murals before they got too covered up:
    https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...gs/1998563002/

best of luck, hopefully more companies to move downtown.

More news: I've been told that part of this project is to add two new elevator shafts to the building. Originally the building had 20 elevator shafts but only 16 elevators. Recently the four empty elevator shafts were filled. However, it appears that some of the work being done currently will add two more additional elevator shafts to bring the building to a total of 22 elevator shafts.

In the underground parking area of the building materials can be seen for the new elevators.

Here is a picture from yesterday, 12 days after the last picture...

Previous picture: Steel done complete up to bottom of 10th floor, partially done for 11th floor
    Current Picture: Steel done complete up to the bottom of the 11th floor. Some signs of steel soon to rise to the 12th floor

Name:  0211191142_HDR.jpg
Views: 5082
Size:  154.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    More news: I've been told that part of this project is to add two new elevator shafts to the building. Originally the building had 20 elevator shafts but only 16 elevators. Recently the four empty elevator shafts were filled. However, it appears that some of the work being done currently will add two more additional elevator shafts to bring the building to a total of 22 elevator shafts.
    Why would a small building like this need that many elevators? Geez people, use the stairs if you have to wait more than a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Why would a small building like this need that many elevators? Geez people, use the stairs if you have to wait more than a minute.
    Elevator wait times during rush hour were getting really long. We figure this is because one of the main tenants of the building like to pack people into the building rather densely, probably more so than Compuware did.

With the elevator wait times being long and more space being added to the building, it makes sense to add more elevators. They are also converting the elevators over to a smart system where you select a floor outside of the elevator and then are assigned an elevator based on your selection.

OCM might not be the tallest building, but it has a very wide footprint and an open floorplan, which makes it a pretty dense building.

I don't think people realize just how big this building is. Depending on how you measure it, when this this expansion is completely, it will barely beat out Cadillac Place as the largest single-structure office building in town at around 1.4 million square feet.

BTW, elevators aren't just for passengers. I wonder how many of these new elevators will be freight elevators to service the new expansion? I know that each of the RenCen's four main office towers have one freight elevator and 12 passenger elevators [[6 servicing the lower half, and 6 the upper half).
    Last edited by Dexlin; February-12-19 at 02:48 PM.

Speaking of elevators, we just watched a temporary construction elevator arrive on site. It's rather... pink!

I found an image of one constructed, so I imagine it will look like this:

OK, so I've been one floor off of all my previous reports of progress. As a result, I'll summarize with the correct floor counts and dates here:

2018-11-13: Steel starts to rise for the first time
    2018-12-03: Steel partially complete up to 5th and 6th floors
    2018-12-21: Steel complete up to 6th floor, partial up to 8th
    2019-01-08: Steel complete up to 8th floor, partial up to 10th
    2019-01-17: Steel complete up to 10th floor, partial up to 11th
    2019-01-30: Steel complete up to 11th floor, partial up to 12th
    2019-02-12: Steel complete up to 12th floor, partial up to 14th [[13th*)
    2019-02-12: Construction elevator delivered in pieces to site
    2019-02-25: Steel complete up to 12th floor, partial up to 15th [[14th*)

*In this building floors 13 and 14 are labeled as 14 and 15. There is also a penthouse level above those floors that is only accessible via stairs.

Here is the latest picture:

Name:  addon.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  105.9 KB

Many skyscrapers don't have a [[labeled) 13th floor, supposedly due to superstition. The numbering just skips from 12 to 14.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Many skyscrapers don't have a [[labeled) 13th floor, supposedly due to superstition. The numbering just skips from 12 to 14.
    Looks almost topped off, as far as the structural elements go. Anybody know when the ceremonial final steel piece with tree will be raised?

I drove by earlier and it looked like 2 floors until its topped off. Shouldn't be too much longer. This thing really went up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    I drove by earlier and it looked like 2 floors until its topped off. Shouldn't be too much longer. This thing really went up fast.
    Probably helps with all the foundation work done many years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Probably helps with all the foundation work done many years ago...
    Indeed, this is what people looking at the Hudson's site should keep in mind. Once steel starts going up, it goes fast!

Window installation 3-13-19

Name:  JPEG image 4.jpg
Views: 3163
Size:  123.9 KB

I am willing to bet the windows will be completed before Little Caesars.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast