Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Gores' desire to win is what has held the Pistons back. His loyalty to Drummond plus numerous win-now trades and signings all point to an impatient owner, not a cheap owner. They've been hellbent on just making the playoffs, which has cost them draft picks, young players with potential, and draft position.

Not only did he give Casey a large contract and build the practice facility, the Pistons gave up The Palace in order to pay rent to Olympia and they've spent a decent amount of money in the community.
    Exactly. He saw attendance wasn't rebounding downtown, was told the NBA was a star driven league, and panicked. There are no shortcuts in building a winner and I think fans in most sports now understand this. At least the hardcore fans do.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I don't understand the thinking here. Gores may be incompetent in hiring, but if he doesn't want to win why give the max contracts and have the team at the cap? Why give Casey a huge 5 year contract when any cheaper coach could have done a similar job? Why build an expensive new practice facility? Why not put more butts in the seats with a winner and make more money?
    All valid points, but SVG is the most culpable here. He's the one that gave Leuer, Galloway, and Jackson those ridiculous overpays and Gores signed off on them. Because that was the only way to get FA's to come here, as Detroit is not a highly favored destination. Casey is a good coach, with a proven track record [[sans a NBA title, except as a assistant with Dallas) so do you think he comes here without a long term deal? I get what you're saying about a cheaper inexperienced hire, but if Gores is in win now mode, I doubt he goes that route. Like I said earlier, the Griffin trade was made to bring a borderline AS player here, under the premise of competing for a playoff spot, while putting fannies in the seats of a new arena. I think if they would have kept Morris, Harris, Boban, Bradley, Dinwiddie, Middleton, etc... that would be a far better team then this current one. Also, Ish Smith's injury coincides big time with this losing streak. His playmaking was very important to them, off the bench, changing the tempo of the game.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-11-19 at 12:28 PM.

Default Dwyane Wade's Last Game in the D -- Reflections on what could have been

Watching him in last night's game [he scored 20 off the bench] brought to mind the sports-painful memory of his draft class of 2003. The Pistons had second pick and chose Darko.

And not Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Kyle Korver, or even Zaza Pachulia.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Watching him in last night's game [he scored 20 off the bench] brought to mind the sports-painful memory of his draft class of 2003. The Pistons had second pick and chose Darko.

And not Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Kyle Korver, or even Zaza Pachulia.
    If the Pistons took Carmelo second [[which was the safe pick and what most teams would have done) they would have won at least one more title, IMO. Carmel's iso game was lethal for about 10 years, until the league changed.

^^ As funny as it seems or maybe hindsight, Piston's management, didn't take Melo, because of the presence of Tayshaun Prince. They felt Tayshaun was their starting SF going forward. I really don't see what Dumars saw in Darko, to take him with the 2nd pick. Nobody ever heard of him, up to that point.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-20-19 at 01:15 PM.

It’s too bad that too much of Joe Dumars legacy is tied up with that draft pick. Also, it should be said that Larry Brown sure didn’t do Darko any favors.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    It’s too bad that too much of Joe Dumars legacy is tied up with that draft pick. Also, it should be said that Larry Brown sure didn’t do Darko any favors.
    Larry Brown did what he felt was right to win a championship [[and he did).

Most general managers and experts praised the Darko pick. It turned out horrible, but at the time, it was considered a good pick. Whoever is suggesting that Dumars went off in left field for the pick is rewriting history. Yes, obviously looking now, any one of those other players would have worked out better, but hindsight is 20/20.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Most general managers and experts praised the Darko pick. It turned out horrible, but at the time, it was considered a good pick. Whoever is suggesting that Dumars went off in left field for the pick is rewriting history. Yes, obviously looking now, any one of those other players would have worked out better, but hindsight is 20/20.
    What? I'm old enough to remember that pick was highly criticized. You have a championship-level team with the opportunity to draft a consensus Hall of Fame NBA player [[Anthony) for a good decade, and they totally whiffed on a speculative project player.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    What? I'm old enough to remember that pick was highly criticized. You have a championship-level team with the opportunity to draft a consensus Hall of Fame NBA player [[Anthony) for a good decade, and they totally whiffed on a speculative project player.
    The thinking was he could be the next Dirk, and the Pistons had the luxury of not needing him immediately and being able to develop him.

Blow a 25 point lead and lose by 10? At home? This team looks hopelessly adrift.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Blow a 25 point lead and lose by 10? At home? This team looks hopelessly adrift.
    Just when you think they can't find a new bottom. Still like the Griffin trade? Traded away Morris and Harris, the only 2 players who could have helped Griffin, in order to acquire him. Griffin tried to be a one man show down the stretch last night.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Just when you think they can't find a new bottom. Still like the Griffin trade? Traded away Morris and Harris, the only 2 players who could have helped Griffin, in order to acquire him. Griffin tried to be a one man show down the stretch last night.

I've said the same thing. Griffin is having a career year, for sure. But they gave up a very versatile forward combination, in Harris and Morris, who could play both forward spots, for one Blake Griffin. Morris was a separate deal for Avery Bradley, but I think they pulled the trigger on those two, too soon, and now they are having good seasons playing for someone else. Griffin is the only somewhat reliable offense they have, and if he's off a particular game, they're doomed. Since no excuse to blow a 25 pt lead though, with the West leading Denver Nuggets coming to town on Monday.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; February-03-19 at 12:12 PM.

so will it be "rebuilding mode" at the end of this season, again?

It will take at least 4-years to unravel the big mess SVG made in his 4-year inept wheeling/dealing/drafting/trading/contract tenure.....

BTW: 24th in attendance/fans not buying.
    Last edited by Smirnoff; February-04-19 at 09:20 AM.

The Pistons traded Reggie Bullock to the Lakers for a 2nd round pick and Svi Mykhailiuk last night.

To me this signals that the Pistons are not going to try to make the playoffs, but rather start acquiring assets to build towards the future. All the stuff Gores said about making the playoffs doesn't totally appear to be true.

Happy with the move, but it's going to be a challenging 2 years.

EDIT: Unless of course they make a move for Mike Conley, which would be no bueno.
    Last edited by EGrant; February-06-19 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    The Pistons traded Reggie Bullock to the Lakers for a 2nd round pick and Svi Mykhailiuk last night.

To me this signals that the Pistons are not going to try to make the playoffs, but rather start acquiring assets to build towards the future. All the stuff Gores said about making the playoffs doesn't totally appear to be true.

Happy with the move, but it's going to be a challenging 2 years.

EDIT: Unless of course they make a move for Mike Conley, which would be no bueno.
    They get a project and what will be a very late 2nd round pick in a couple of years. In other words, probably nothing. Bullock's salary was so low I don't really see the benefit. Might as well have hung on to him to try to sneak into the 8th spot.

FYI: No 8th seeded team has ever won a NBA championship.....objective should be winning a championship vs 8th seed playoff loss.

Carry on.....

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    It will take at least 4-years to unravel the big mess SVG made in his 4-year inept wheeling/dealing/drafting/trading/contract tenure.....

BTW: 24th in attendance/fans not buying.
    To me, the Pistons have no identity. I know who a few of the players are but the remainder just don’t resonate with me. It’s been that way for a while - I guess that’s part and parcel of being terrible.

Reggie's contract expires after this season and he's going to make a lot more in his new deal. The Pistons would not have cap space to resign him, so they needed to get something for him instead of letting him walk away for free. You won't get a big haul for a rental heading into a bigger contract.

Also just traded Stanley Johnson to the Bucks for Thon Maker. A swap of underachieving first round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    FYI: No 8th seeded team has ever won a NBA championship.....objective should be winning a championship vs 8th seed playoff loss.

Carry on.....
    Yes but everything this org. has done has been to try to get ANY playoff berth. Maybe get 2 decent playoff crowds. I'm not saying they have done anything to try to build a team properly but I don't see that this trade provides anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Also just traded Stanley Johnson to the Bucks for Thon Maker. A swap of underachieving first round picks.
    Thon is a 7 footer who can step out and shoot. Yeah he's raw, but he also didn't play in the NCAA so it'll take him a little longer to develop. Personally I would like to see him kept for a while and we could always try to flip him.

Recent trades = Titanic furniture swapping?

This may be a "First Time in Detroit Sports History" moment.

All four major league teams threw in the towel on their season.

Lions [Golden Tate trade, nuf said], Tigers [thrown it for two seasons now], Red Wings [officially "sellers" in the upcoming trade deadline] and now the Pistons.

Has this ever happened before?

And how long will the Detroit sports playoff drought [now two years?] last?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast