Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default 2018-19 Detroit Pistons

They started the season off with a bumpy win against a weak team that easily could have been lost, but made a clutch defensive play in the end to salvaged it. In their defense, Reggie Bullock and Stanley Johnson were both out.

The big guns looked good, Drummond and Griffin dominating the paint and Reggie Jackson doing well, all playing with energy under the new coach Dwane Casey.

So what do you think, is this their year?

To me, it's really going to come down to whether Casey can get them to play as a team or not. SVG really couldn't figure out how to get these players to do that, so they all sort of meandered around and did their own thing. On defense, especially, this is an approach that works 0% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    They started the season off with a bumpy win against a weak team that easily could have been lost, but made a clutch defensive play in the end to salvaged it. In their defense, Reggie Bullock and Stanley Johnson were both out.

The big guns looked good, Drummond and Griffin dominating the paint and Reggie Jackson doing well, all playing with energy under the new coach Dwane Casey.

So what do you think, is this their year?

I'm not going to get carried away, the first game of the season, but they scuffled to beat the Nets, who had a couple of key injuries, as well. The Nets seem to always give them fits. They're roster still is mismash to me. Some parts don't seem to fit, and they need more consistent 3 pt shooting. Most have them competing for the 7th or 8th seed. If they can stay healthy, they SHOULD make the playoffs in the watered down East.

Brooklyn was missing its two best players, and is a bad team. I wouldn't get too excited.

Seems like it's been years since they've had a decent small forward. you would think that is one position where you could find an upgrade at a reasonable cost.

Griffin dropped 50 points including a game-winning and-1 against the Sixers tonight. A game for the ages as the Pistons improve to 3-0. Wasn't a huge fan of Drummond trying to take Embiid one on one [[unsuccessfully) the entire game, and really didn't like the flop from Embiid that got Drummond ejected, but the Pistons overcame it and won in OT. Incredible game.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Griffin dropped 50 points including a game-winning and-1 against the Sixers tonight. A game for the ages as the Pistons improve to 3-0. Wasn't a huge fan of Drummond trying to take Embiid one on one [[unsuccessfully) the entire game, and really didn't like the flop from Embiid that got Drummond ejected, but the Pistons overcame it and won in OT. Incredible game.
    I want to get behind this team but I just worry that both Griffin and Jackson can't stay healthy an entire season.

The most encouraging thing I see for the future of this season is how Blake Griffin has taken a leadership role in keeping the players focused on the game and in the moment. Of course, playing at MVP level doesn't hurt either. I'm interested to see how they hold up in the Boston back-to-back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The most encouraging thing I see for the future of this season is how Blake Griffin has taken a leadership role in keeping the players focused on the game and in the moment. Of course, playing at MVP level doesn't hurt either. I'm interested to see how they hold up in the Boston back-to-back.
    I'll be shocked if they win either game. Last night was the first full game I saw this year. Griffin and Drummond could be even more effective if they had some decent shooters to kick it out to. Neither Johnson or Bullock are starting caliber players. Kennard looked good in the few minutes he played. Let's hope his injury doesn't keep him out too long.

Opening 4-0 is nice but they definitely got some help from the schedulers. They got games against three teams that they definitely should have beaten [[NJ, Chi, Cle) and also three home games. The Philly win was a nice surprise, but if they weren't 3-1 at this point, it'd probably be troubling.

The Boston back-to-back games should be telling. They'll never say it, but you have to figure the team would probably be happy with a split.

Nice start, but I'm not getting carried away. The NBA season is too long, and they haven't been on a extended West Coast trip yet, where the best teams reside, or played a lot of B2B games. If they are around .500 by the end of November, consider it a blessing. I still think the roster needs tweaking. They need consistent shooters bad.

Looks like they lost at least one game of the Boston back-to-back or so I've heard.

They lost both. First was a blowout, and the second they had a chance to tie at the end, but Blake and Ish miscommunicated the inbounds pass and turned over the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Nice start, but I'm not getting carried away. The NBA season is too long, and they haven't been on a extended West Coast trip yet, where the best teams reside, or played a lot of B2B games. If they are around .500 by the end of November, consider it a blessing. I still think the roster needs tweaking. They need consistent shooters bad.
    I agree with all that but I would also add this roster is injury prone [[except for Drummond) Obviously, staying healthy is going to be huge.

The Nets always give them fits, and Spencer Dinwiddie, torched them again for trading him to the Bulls 2 yrs ago. I think he's turned out to be a better PG than Reggie Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    The Nets always give them fits, and Spencer Dinwiddie, torched them again for trading him to the Bulls 2 yrs ago. I think he's turned out to be a better PG than Reggie Jackson.
    I can't stand guys like him. He sits back and does nothing for the first two years of his career, then gets all motivated and starts playing hard once the Pistons 'gave up on him'. No, moron, the Pistons wouldn't have given up on you had you put forth the effort then that you are putting forth now.

^That's a terrible take. You think it was about effort? Sometimes it takes a few years for things to click for a lot of guys in the NBA. And Van Gundy certainly didn't help develop his young players, in hindsight.

Sometimes it takes the realization that they have to work for their minutes before reality sets in and they seize the opportunity that's given to them.

I agree that SVG often didn't bring out the best in his young players, but this is different. If you watch Dinwiddie's game now versus when he was a Piston, there's an extra hustle that is there now that wasn't there then. It's up to the player to dig deep and find it.

He's also had way more playing time in BKN instead of being stuck behind Jennings and Jackson, his body is different and he's years removed from an ACL injury in college that almost ended his career. I don't buy this magical "dig deep and want it more" stuff from Disney sports movies.

The best move that the Pistons owner Gores had done so far was to reluctantly bring the team back downtown at the taxpayer's expense. He will have to cough up more money for consistent 3 point shooters if he could lure them to Detroit. It will take a man like Dan Gilbert to purchase the team and put some real talent on it. I know that Dan Gilbert himself could not purchase the team unless he sell the Cavaliers and buy the Pistons but I don't see that happening in the near future. Gores could get better talent on the team if he had corporate entities backing him with the funding to purchase good players

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The best move that the Pistons owner Gores had done so far was to reluctantly bring the team back downtown at the taxpayer's expense. He will have to cough up more money for consistent 3 point shooters if he could lure them to Detroit. It will take a man like Dan Gilbert to purchase the team and put some real talent on it. I know that Dan Gilbert himself could not purchase the team unless he sell the Cavaliers and buy the Pistons but I don't see that happening in the near future. Gores could get better talent on the team if he had corporate entities backing him with the funding to purchase good players
    Why comment when you clearly don't follow or care about the game?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I disagree, especially about Gilbert, and how he runs the Cavaliers. His meal ticket is gone again, and they're a complete mess. Love is injured and out a couple of months. They fired Lue, and they don't want to pay interim coach Drew a salary bump until they decide on a coach, and Gilbert has had 4 different GM's over the span of 8 years. They should blow it up, trade players and start over.

The Pistons have quietly solidified as highlighted by last night’s convincing win over the NBA champions LA Warriors. They are now 13-7 and looking increasingly cohesive and confident.

Reggie Jackson has finally figured out out how to share the playmaking with Blake. Ish Smith, my favorite Piston, is leading a relentless bench and all are buying into defense. Fun to watch again and they actually drew a large crowd.

Warriors had one of the worst shooting performances of the season and the Pistons completely dominated them in the paint. Whether it was a result of the Warriors missing a few players or the Pistons defense is unclear, but this team is playing with some fire for once. Stanley Johnson off the bench has been a completely different player. That's what happens when you go from SVG to the Eastern Conference coach of the year.

They have a tough stretch ahead with OKC, New Orleans, Philly and Boston, but so far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Warriors had one of the worst shooting performances of the season and the Pistons completely dominated them in the paint. Whether it was a result of the Warriors missing a few players or the Pistons defense is unclear, but this team is playing with some fire for once. Stanley Johnson off the bench has been a completely different player. That's what happens when you go from SVG to the Eastern Conference coach of the year.

They have a tough stretch ahead with OKC, New Orleans, Philly and Boston, but so far, so good.

I agree, however the only missing cog for the Warriors was Green, and Cousins won't play until the end of the year. He might have helped up front on Griffin and Drummond, but they are a handful for anyone, when they are playing well, and Drummond doesn't get into foul trouble. Detroit is number 1 in 3pt% defense in the NBA. Casey is putting his mark on this team. Good win regardless, but as you said, it's going to get tougher.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-02-18 at 12:03 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast