Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

I voted no. And hope that a measure of courtesy evolves in the use of marijuana. I was at my dentists office the other day and the staff were complaining of a patient just leaving the one of dental operatories, left it reeking of marijuana. The smell tenacious and strong.

The room had to be sprayed and not used for it to air out a bit.

Just as I'd not find it welcome to smell liquor upon a person, or walk into a wall of tobacco smoke, likewise I hope to see some attempt of discretion in the use of weed. For sure it sticks to the interior of a car like glue.

That's not a good time, come resale a vehicle. Everyone does not smoke and simply not interested in sharing in the experience.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-07-18 at 07:53 AM.

Changing the law is not going to matter in respect to people smelling like pot, or their houses or vehicles smelling like pot. This law is not going to "make" people smoke. Most of the ones who will probably already did, only now they are legal, or will be once there is a legal purchase steam. I'm sure the guy who funkied up the exam room probably has been smoking for years. And most likely illegally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I voted no. And hope that a measure of courtesy evolves in the use of marijuana. I was at my dentists office the other day and the staff were complaining of a patient just left leaving the one of dental operatories, leaving it reeking of marijuana. The smell is tenacious and strong.

Just as I'd not find it welcome to smell liquor upon a person, or walk into a wall of tobacco smoke, likewise I hope to see some attempt of discretion in the use of weed. For sure it sticks to the interior of a car like glue.

That's not a good time, come resale a vehicle. Everyone does not smoke and simply not interested in sharing in the experience.

I voted no. And hope that a measure of courtesy evolves in the use of marijuana. I was at my dentists office the other day and the staff were complaining of a patient just left leaving the one of dental operatories, leaving it reeking of marijuana. The smell is tenacious and strong.

I know of elementary school teachers that have students whom strongly smell of it. Poor [[as in unfortunate) kids and their misguided parents. It is interesting how more and more people reek of it in stores/businesses and think that is somehow acceptable.

^^^ Yes! Teachers at the K12 level are at the absolute front line - downwind drift of what some parents allow their children to be exposed to. And the level of direct use in children and teens.

In some cases [[I am not saying everyone) the same parents who'd not expose their children to cigarette smoke, readily smoke weed around them!

There are cases of young children arriving to school with their coats, clothes, and hair smelling or marijuana. Teens moreso smelling of it as their parents smoke around them, while in the car, etc. All making for joyful disruption as the other students comment and react.

The smell and residue of marijuana is more tenacious than tobacco in my opinion. It really lingers and permeates hair and fabric.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-07-18 at 08:17 AM.

Well, maybe they were or maybe they weren't or he did or didn't......

But with the increasing use/ acceptance/ popularity there follows the increased nuisance of smelling it in public, where you can't opt out. I think the nuisance factor [[from the smell) will remain, even now legal.

If I were a consumer of marijuana I'd opt for the edibles.

I'd not want that smell upon my person, my car. I guess now that it's legal the smell will be adapted to. But the anti-smoke folks may not be too enthusiastic, no more than about cigarettes. Or perhaps so.

I work with the public ala an industry were marijuana odors/ residues are not accepted/ withstanding any vote. I imagine I'm not alone.

So I don't for example ride in a car with anyone smoking marijuana. I don't need the drama especially considering I don't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Changing the law is not going to matter in respect to people smelling like pot, or their houses or vehicles smelling like pot. This law is not going to "make" people smoke. Most of the ones who will probably already did, only now they are legal, or will be once there is a legal purchase steam. I'm sure the guy who funkied up the exam room probably has been smoking for years. And most likely illegally.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-07-18 at 08:14 AM.

Well, maybe they were or maybe they weren't or he did or didn't......

But with the increasing use/ acceptance/ popularity there follows the increased nuisance of smelling it in public, where you can't opt out. I think the nuisance factor [[from the smell) will remain, even now legal.

If I were a consumer of marijuana I'd opt for the edibles.

I'd not want that smell upon my person, my car. I guess now that it's legal the smell will be adapted to. But the anti-smoke folks may not be too enthusiastic, no more than about cigarettes. Or perhaps so.

I work with the public ala an industry were marijuana odors/ residues are not accepted/ withstanding any vote. I imagine I'm not alone.

So I don't for example ride in a car with anyone smoking marijuana. I don't need the drama especially considering I don't use it.
    I think we get the point. It's illegal to drive and consume marijuana, and workplace rules must always be followed if you're subject to testing. That's all part of the new law. However your odor complaint is now akin to a vegetarian complaining about the smell of meat cooking at the local Burger King. You may not like it, but tolerance is part of the new equation. Personally, I detest obese people covering up their body odor with large amounts of perfume instead of a daily shower, but my ability to make them take one to please my personal tastes is rather limited.

Edibles and vape pens will be widely available once recreational dispensaries are open and running. My personal experiences in Colorado, Oregon, and Washington, indicate that's how most of the young now consume anyway. The smoking of any product in public, tobacco or otherwise, is much more strictly enforced in all 3 States as opposed to Michigan.

And my understanding of the new law is that you aren't allowed to smoke in public or in your car. You can smoke in private residences, not walking or riding down the street. My point in my previous post was, if they smelled a week ago, they'll continue to smell because they smoked illegally and will continue to do so legally. The new law isn't going to make them smell worse.

And my understanding of the new law is that you aren't allowed to smoke in public or in your car. You can smoke in private residences, not walking or riding down the street....
    I also heard that you can't use it on your front porch or driveway because it's not unusual for the public to approach your house there. Curiously, your back yard may be a different matter [[especially if it's fenced) although neighbor complaints of odor might be regarded as any other nuisance.

Interesting times. I'm curious how this will all wash out after the novelty wears off.

LOL! I am not quite an anti-weed zealot especially regarding adults [[regarding the veggie reference - LOL - I know people like that). But there are many up in arms deluxe about second hand tobacco smoke! I see no less problem with weed smoke second hand. I don't want it. Especially for those with allergies and or respiratory sensitivities. Not many decrying the avoidance of cigg smoke as extreme. To avoid cigg smoke is almost fashionable.

Anyway, I think more people are aware and mindful of how various fragrances can offend, likewise now that weed is legal some decorum and respect re. its use will follow, fingers crossed. Especially beyond the initial hoopla of the passing vote. I'll do what I do to avoid the smoke, which so far isn't too much of a problem. As I don't want marijuana to become my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    I think we get the point. It's illegal to drive and consume marijuana, and workplace rules must always be followed if you're subject to testing. That's all part of the new law. However your odor complaint is now akin to a vegetarian complaining about the smell of meat cooking at the local Burger King. You may not like it, but tolerance is part of the new equation.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-08-18 at 08:00 AM.

Yeah, I think for now there's a certain percentage of folks on-the-nut about smoking marijuana where ever without concern for the nuisance factor.

That will level off -- I'm hoping basic reasonable decorum occurs re. the use. As it will be demanded in certain settings withstanding laws and votes.

If we were talking about tobacco here it would be less of an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I also heard that you can't use it on your front porch or driveway because it's not unusual for the public to approach your house there. Curiously, your back yard may be a different matter [[especially if it's fenced) although neighbor complaints of odor might be regarded as any other nuisance.

Interesting times. I'm curious how this will all wash out after the novelty wears off.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-08-18 at 08:02 AM.

Well yes, no one's smelling worse per se it can be argued.

But the occurrence of smelling pot has gone up appreciably [[adults and teens). And 'where' you are smelling it getting pretty rude, and disruptive. Recall the smell of 'Ned the wino'... or the office drunk-drinker, etc. - that was never a good time LOL!

And I do think most people will be reasonable and respectful of others as times as goes by, now that the law has passed for recreational use. I am hopeful, especially decorum around kids. Or the law and courts will step in just as the do now re. use of alcohol.

And my understanding of the new law is that you aren't allowed to smoke in public or in your car. You can smoke in private residences, not walking or riding down the street. My point in my previous post was, if they smelled a week ago, they'll continue to smell because they smoked illegally and will continue to do so legally. The new law isn't going to make them smell worse.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-07-18 at 12:34 PM.

I think we get the point. It's illegal to drive and consume marijuana, and workplace rules must always be followed if you're subject to testing. That's all part of the new law. However your odor complaint is now akin to a vegetarian complaining about the smell of meat cooking at the local Burger King. You may not like it, but tolerance is part of the new equation. Personally, I detest obese people covering up their body odor with large amounts of perfume instead of a daily shower, but my ability to make them take one to please my personal tastes is rather limited.

Edibles and vape pens will be widely available once recreational dispensaries are open and running. My personal experiences in Colorado, Oregon, and Washington, indicate that's how most of the young now consume anyway. The smoking of any product in public, tobacco or otherwise, is much more strictly enforced in all 3 States as opposed to Michigan.
    Except there's a lot more to it than your simplification and dismissiveness. Detroit is already one of the most dangerous places in the country for car accidents. Now, I'm smelling it on more and more people that are DRIVING! Seeing those same people get into or out of the driver's seat of a car. Some you even see smoking in the parking lot and/or in traffic. Multiple people on one shopping trip at one shopping center. Erratic driving and behavior. To dismiss it is to condone it, or to think that "it can't happen to me" or worse "as long as they don't hurt me". Responsibility needs to be part of the new equation a lot more than tolerance.

^^^ Yep, how many times I've "thankfully" paused a few seconds at a just turning green light, only to have a car running an opposite red light sail thru. Driving about in the D is getting worse not better, and hopped up people at the wheel is not going to help. No more then the existing drunks!

You cannot live in fear. I certainly get that, but I have curbed my driving considerably in the brave new world out there re. traffic. Minimizing risk at this point as people decide 'how' they're going to drive. Responsibly or not?
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-07-18 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

I watched a Let It Rip on Channel 2 on the 5th and they had a Sheriff, a pot lawyer and an anti pot guy. The cop said you can smoke it in your home, yard and on your porch because they consider that to be private property. The pot lawyer said he would keep it in the back yard or in the house to be safe because he considers the front porch to be approachable and therefore public. The anti pot guy kept yelling the sky is falling...

So who stayed off the road this weekend - to avoid the geniuses ?

^^^ Hah! I mostly avoid very late night driving, especially once the bars let out. That was nuts already.

And 'grouping' up errands so as to not zig-zag all over town saves in gas too. Win-win!

The sky's not falling, but the increase of reckless/ feckless driving is real.

Looking out for the driver is most crucial!!
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-08-18 at 12:06 AM.

Are you saying, you cannot smoke a ciggerette, pipe or cigar in public in Colorado, Oregon or Washington? You mentioned any product, is that true?

^^^^ I don't want to speak for Bongman , but I go to Colorado once a year and seldom see people smoking in public anywhere. Don't know if it's enforcement or just personal choice, but I don't see butts laying around anywhere either. And I do go to the dispensaries out there and if Michigan does half as good a job as they do keeping things orderly there won't be a big deal. Aside from edibles, there is a lot of vaping going on too

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    What does that have to do with legalizing pot?

What does that have to do with legalizing pot?
    It was in response to someone that said he had never heard of anyone being killed over pot. It is the second example in as many days.

^^Those two weren't killed because of marijuana, they were murdered over money. It just happened to be that the transactions involved marijuana.

You snowflakes do what you want. Just don't get in my way when you're on cloud nine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    You snowflakes do what you want. Just don't get in my way when you're on cloud nine.
    That should be easy as long as we don't travel to Nevada

After not reading this thread for awhile than catching up there is only one conclusion I can come to.

It’s like every right wing republican everywhere gets all pissed off if someone else besides them is even suggested to shoulder any of the tax load.

They will never get me on board. I am not interested in paying for everything a nation or state needs to have all by myself.

Spread the damn bills out to everyone who has the fucking money to pay them so I don’t have to pay so much. I wonder sometimes how something so simple to understand gets so hard for some.

Weed is a luxury item. Nobody has to have it. The war on pot is completely lost, every damn dime spent on fighting it has been a huge waste of money when it’s more common than ever now. Duh.

Why the insistence on maintaining its tax free status? Tax the crap out of it just like the rest of us.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast