Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Default Prop 1 Scenario

Even when Prop 1 passes, how long before the bureaucrats compile the rules.

They cannot get the medical right, I say 2 years minimum.

That's harder to do when an issue has been voted in by the public as opposed to the legislature voting on it. I think it becomes part of the constitutional amendments and has to be revoted to change it.
    Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post

I think you're being optimistic. Unfortunately we're dealing with one party who is convinced they know better than the people they represent. They couldn't even come to a consensus on this issue during this past Summer when it was to their political advantage to do so.

It also shows how clueless President Trump is about basic politics. Polls suggest even Republicans are about 50/50 now on this issue. He could easily expand his national base at this point by either legalizing weed on the national level, or doing something towards the student loan problem. Either issue would expand his base towards millennials without taking away from his core. It's called being a political hard-head.

https://www.weednews.co/marijuana-le...rding-to-poll/

Just a reminder that Michigan is not the only State voting on legal weed this Tuesday. You couldn't find a redder, more conservative State than North Dakota, yet recent polls suggest the issue may pass. Again, I'm sure it doesn't hurt when 400 miles of your Northern border just went legal.

One criticism of marijuana is that it demotivates people. I don't think that's disputed. Any dispute in that area seems to revolve about whether demotivation is really a significant problem.

Maybe if the MAGAbomber had used pot instead of steroids he would have been demotivated from acting out in rage.

Wouldn't it be interesting if legalizing marijuana caused an overall reversal in the trend of violent rage incidents?

Imagine a world where society is saturated with guns but it doesn't matter because no one's angry enough to use them.

^^^ You must be referring the 'sleepies' in addition to the 'munchies'! ----

All jokes aside, my concern is how this drug effects the young developing brain in children and teens. AND YES, I feel that way about booze too!

Responsible users must keep marijuana from children and teens.

@Slick thanks for the straight up answer instead of the bs. Down here in FL the lawyer that pushed the petition for mmj in '16 has started a petition initiative to get recreational use on the 2020 ballot. One can hope.

And from alcohol; why is it that people see weed as more problematic than booze when it comes to keeping it from kids? Most people that have alcohol in their homes either have it on a bar, n the fridge or in an unlocked cabinet. People I know keep their weed stash or their edibles hidden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ You must be referring the 'sleepies' in addition to the 'munchies'! ----

All jokes aside, my concern is how this drug effects the young developing brain in children and teens. AND YES, I feel that way about booze too!

Responsible users must keep marijuana from children and teens.

^ is it out of fear of being busted which may be different once legalization kicks in.

It was always good practice to keep things out of site,you never know who is going to knock on the door and in plain site,has its drawbacks.

Schools have a See and tell policy,lots of parents have been busted by thier own kids,but it will be like anything else,there will always be responsible parents and non responsible parents and kids caught in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by pjbear05 View Post
    @Slick thanks for the straight up answer instead of the bs. Down here in FL the lawyer that pushed the petition for mmj in '16 has started a petition initiative to get recreational use on the 2020 ballot. One can hope.
    He is also invested in manufacturing facilities and they have been buying up closed down banks in Orlando and Tampa for the secure vaults and drive throughs for dispensary’s.

So it is not all about his son,bless his soul,it is about money and tapping into a multi billion dollar market.

Yep. I never excluded alcohol from the requirement to be kept from kids.

Anyway in about 24 mths we'll have an idea of how this will bow, should it pass.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    And from alcohol; why is it that people see weed as more problematic than booze when it comes to keeping it from kids? Most people that have alcohol in their homes either have it on a bar, n the fridge or in an unlocked cabinet. People I know keep their weed stash or their edibles hidden.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-05-18 at 11:10 PM.

In before everyone else:

It passed!

Now I'm hearing it will be 2020 before you can buy it in a store because it will take that long to iron out the regulations. It's legal now to grow it in limited quantities but it must be "gifted" to you, not sold. Public consumption is still illegal. Possession of small quantities is not likely to cause arrest now.

I suppose the best news is that folks who genuinely need it for medical reasons can rest easy. That's not likely to go away.

I still have no plans to use it personally, but to those that do, Enjoy!
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-07-18 at 09:07 AM.

I suppose it would be legal to grow it as an ornamental houseplant now, with no intention of ever consuming it. That would make a nice conversation piece. Imagine walking into an office that has a plant and a sign saying "Please don't pick my leaves, I need them." LOL!

Edit:
    Or a sign that reads: "I don't pluck off your fingers. Please don't pluck off my leaves."
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-08-18 at 09:18 PM.

This proposal was not an Amendment to our Constitution, like Prop 2 & 3 were, so the Legisature could mess with it just as they did with Right-To-Work a few years back.

To refresh memories, the voters of Michigan overwhelmingly voted to ban Right-To-Work, but the Republicans slipped through a Right-To-Work bill in the lame duck session, plus they attached a small spending bill to it so it can’t be reversed.

The Republicans slid that bill right through, literally in the dead of night, despite thousands of union folks both inside and outside the Capitol.

So, my pot-smoking friends, do not be surprised by a surprise. The lame duck session can yield a whole lot of intrigue.

For your review:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/03/michigan_is_officially_a_right.amp
    Last edited by gnome; November-07-18 at 12:36 PM.

what does this mean for all the dispensaries in Detroit? Will they be regulated more?

Missouri and Utah approved their medical marijuana ballot initiatives yesterday. That now makes 33 states where medical marijuana is legal. North Dakota voted down their measure to legalize recreational marijuana.

Michigan was the 10th state to legalize recreational marijuana. It is also legal in Washington DC.

I wonder when more employers will catch up, and cease drug testing to screen for THC levels in their existing staff and potential employee candidates?

I certainly hope not less. We saw the bedlam of the first installations Detroit, summer of 2015. Unregulated, every other block, next to schools, folks smoking in the dispensary parking lots -- open odd hours of the night, etc.

Regulation much helped weed [[pardon the pun) out the seedier establishments [[most closed). Ones that would have NEVER been allowed outside of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    what does this mean for all the dispensaries in Detroit? Will they be regulated more?
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-07-18 at 07:06 PM.

Hah! You'll know if you're really growing it 'big-time' ala the requirement of those special bulbs that run up a HEFTY DTE bill.

Weed-da-Chia-Pet fun level should be fine......

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I suppose it would be legal to grow it as an ornamental houseplant now, with no intention of ever consuming it. That would make a nice conversation piece. Imagine walking into an office with a plant and a sign saying "Please don't pick my leaves, I need them." LOL!
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-08-18 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I wonder when more employers will catch up, and cease drug testing to screen for THC levels in their existing staff and potential employee candidates?
    I doubt that most will. The fact that it's still a controlled substance according to the Feds, and the inability to definitively determine if someone is under the influence would pose a big problem. Other than those companies that are desperate for workers, choosing to ignore positive results for weed use would likely be problematic.

^^^ Some employers may double-down on mandatory drug testing so as to preemptively cull [[don't bother to apply) applicants.

In most cases it's an employers advantage to cut down on numbers of people to 'process' for job consideration. And drug testing is involved in some of the most seemingly basic of jobs.

My core advise to young people in particular will continue: Avoid marijuana to have the widest possibility of career options during peak work years.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-08-18 at 06:39 AM.

I fear we will see a rise in workplace injuries. Those who work in construction, heavy manufacturing, or skilled trades will have to consider the increased potential and use an extra level of caution.

It's interesting that Michigan is now ahead of states like New York with this. Minnesota is usually the state that gets the kudos for it's progressiveness in the heartland midwest but Michigan proved it's more progressive now.

Default Technically, Smoking Marijuana Legally is a few weeks away.

This from today's Freep

When will marijuana be legal?

Ten days after the election results are certified, which should be by early December. But marijuana won't be commercially available for sale until probably early 2020, in part because the state must still put regulations in place and issue licenses for recreational sales. “It's not going to be an earth-shattering change,” said Jeffrey Hank, the East Lansing attorney who was one of the leaders of the effort to get the legalization question on the ballot. But after certification, “adults will no longer be arrested for simple possession and use of marijuana.”
    Can I smoke marijuana in public?
    Tuesday's vote is definitely not a free pass to get high with impunity. “There is no public consumption and no driving under the influence and there will be no commercial sales until businesses are licensed and approved,” said Josh Hovey, spokesman for the Coalition to Regulate Marijuana like Alcohol. Police will still be able to arrest people they suspect are driving under the influence of marijuana or if they're lighting up in public. Michigan State Police and other police organizations haven't yet worked out how their enforcement procedures will change with the legalization.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast