Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Toynbee tiles in Detroit

Here's a good piece of weirdness for the weekend. This site describes "Toynbee tiles," sidewalk or street tiles placed by parties unknown and bearing bizarre inscriptions apparently having to do with the historian Arnold Toynbee or the film "2001." The majority are in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and New York, but the site lists three in Detroit. Are they still there [[of course I will go and look)? Are there others? Does anyone have any knowledge of them?

http://web.archive.org/web/200705011...w.toynbee.net/

We've seen the one on Randolph and Congress, but it's been a while...

Used to see 'em all the time in NYC.

Im curious if anyone considers this vandalism. I think they're kickass.

Do any of these still exist? It's been years since I've seen one. I thought the guy who was plastering these on pavement had expired.

Inspired "12 Monkeys"...

Quote Originally Posted by texorama View Post
    This site describes "Toynbee tiles,"...
    Thanks! I had never heard of this fascinating mystery.

The Wikipedia article.

Im watching the doc. Resurrect the Dead on the Toynbee tiles with Netflix for free right now. Ive been spelling it wrong all the time since Ive heard about them, I thought it was Tonybee.
    Last edited by Django; October-06-12 at 06:45 PM. Reason: NIKOLAI

Grand River and Woodward, according to Detroiturbex.com's latest facebook post.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I dig its sci-fi influences. Hope to see it in person soon.

Anyone have any old school linoleum? Its hard to find these days and is required to make this kind of piece. Ive been looking for the past year calling around to businesses that deal in such type tiles but they stopped making real linoleum tiles due to asbestos content.