Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default For the movie buffs

Producers Jerry Bruckheimer and Robert Shay were also from Detroit. Let's not forget Sam Raimi, and Bruce Campbell.

And Roger Corman!

Quote Originally Posted by robtandersen View Post
    Producers Jerry Bruckheimer and Robert Shay were also from Detroit. Let's not forget Sam Raimi, and Bruce Campbell.
    Jerry Bruckheimer used to the on the 19900 block of Ardmore just north of W. 7 Mile Rd near Vassar Dr. in Detroit. just a mile from my old Detroit home on Ardmore St.

Danny Thomas grew up on 93 Adelaide St. just east of Woodward Ave. in Brush Park for a while. He and his family were Chaldean descent. His home is still there now a group home.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3424...7i16384!8i8192

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Danny Thomas grew up on 93 Adelaide St. just east of Woodward Ave. in Brush Park for a while. He and his family were Chaldean descent. His home is still there now a group home.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3424...7i16384!8i8192
    Danny Thomas was Lebanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Tom Sizemore went to Bishop Gallagher and grew up in Detroit, I believe near St. John Hospital. Good actor but at some point, his life style screwed that up.

Wally Cox...went to Denby
    Actually, Tom Sizemore grew up near Gratiot & 6 mile on Hamburg.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    Danny Thomas was Lebanese.
    His daughter Marlo Thomas was also born here. Casey Kasem was another celebrity who came from Detroit's Lebanese community. As did pioneering [[and later controversial) female White House reporter Helen Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Jerry Bruckheimer used to the on the 19900 block of Ardmore just north of W. 7 Mile Rd near Vassar Dr. in Detroit. just a mile from my old Detroit home on Ardmore St.
    That specific part of NW Detroit was very Jewish 50 years ago, and was home to quite a few future celebrities. They almost all went to Mumford.

Madonna grew up in Rochester Hills

Francis Ford Coppola - from wikipedia
    Coppola was born in Detroit, Michigan, to father Carmine Coppola [[1910–1991),[6] a flautist with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra,

Ray Parker Jr. [[Ghostbusters) went to Cass Tech, he was in a couple of my classes.

Elizabeth Berkley was born and raised in Farmington Hills,

She graduated in 1990 from North Farmington High School in Farmington Hills after previously having attended the Cranbrook Kingswood School,

Berkley's most notable roles were as Jessie Spano in the television series Saved by the Bell, and as Nomi Malone in the 1995 Paul Verhoeven film Showgirls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Berkley

Casey Kasem

Did we know that Christie Brinkley was born in Monroe?

Simone [[Cook) Missick, actress, a Detroit native, Renaissance Grad [[1999), got her 1st big break as the police detective in the Marvel Comic Series, Luke Cage. She is now the leading actor in the CBS legal drama, ALL RISE, which debuted in 2019. In May, CBS announced it was renewing the show for a 2nd season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur0wLc_Di6M

James Gurley, of Big Brother & the Holding Co., father of psychedelic guitar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gurley
    Gurley was born in Detroit, Michigan. At the age of nineteen he took up the guitar and began practicing long hours while listening to old Lightnin' Hopkins records. He never had a guitar lesson, preferring to learn by ear. He spent four years at Detroit's Catholic Brothers of the Holy Cross, studying to be a priest.
    Last edited by Brock7; July-20-20 at 04:40 PM.

My classmates at Pershing High.
    Spencer Haywood
    Ralph Simpson

George Peppard, of Breakfast at Tiffany's and A-Team fame [[and Banacek, my favorite NBC Wednesday Night Mystery series next to Columbo) was born in Detroit and grew up in Dearborn. He's buried in Northview Cemetary in Dearborn.

Marta Kristen [[aka Judy Robinson), spent early years in the city:

She spent her first years in an orphanage in Norway, and was then adopted in 1949 by an American couple from Detroit, Michigan, Harold Oliver Soderquist, and Bertha, who renamed her Martha Annalise Soderquist. Her adoptive father was a professor of education at Wayne University, Detroit.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marta_Kristen

I think it'd be kinda cool is somebody could arrange a homecoming of sorts to bring all of these who are still alive together.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I think it'd be kinda cool is somebody could arrange a homecoming of sorts to bring all of these who are still alive together.
    There's such an attempt with Detroit Homecoming--a think-tankish annual gathering that reaches out to and draws in celebrity Detroit ex-pats. I notice is coming up in mid-Sept. [wondering if it really will happen?]. I recall them having Lily Tomlin highlight it a few years ago. Steve Ballmer, Stephen Ross and others have participated.

"The expats who attend Detroit Homecoming utilize their passion, relationships, expertise, and resources in order to improve the quality of life for Detroit residents. Through using their good fortune to give back to a city which helped make them who they are, Detroit Homecoming expat attendees have become a resource for scores of Detroit projects and initiatives in need of additional support."

They claim to have generated a half billion in economic activity.

Everybody gotta be from somewhere. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    That specific part of NW Detroit was very Jewish 50 years ago, and was home to quite a few future celebrities. They almost all went to Mumford.
    I lived on Littlefield between Vassar and St. Martins. If we would have stayed I would have gone to Ford, not Mumford. Ms. Softailrider lived on Kentucky, near Curtis. She would have attended Mumford.

Here are 3 guys from the area that each have billions and are known to be philanthropic/charitable :
    Eli Broad
    Steve Ballmer
    Stephen Ross

During these times, instead of watching the late night shows, we've tuned into the Perry Mason reruns on MeTV at 11:30. The character Hamilton Burger, prosecuting attorney, was played by William Talman, who was born and raised in Detroit. Yes, his name was on a list of Detroiters linked early in this thread, but he has not been called out.

Richard Bak's profile for Hour Detroit in 2012 details William Talman's Detroit roots and his career:
    https://www.hourdetroit.com/communit...illiam-talman/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast