Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default People you didn't know were from the area.

I get going on some obscure searches sometimes. Something will trigger a memory and I'll search for it. Something in the results will lead me into other searches.

Just a bit ago, I was searching about some old TV shows and got onto The Rat Patrol. That lead me to Christopher George only to find out he was born in Royal Oak.

Had no idea.

Glenn Frey’s from RO. I’ve heard David Spade is from Birmingham

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Glenn Frey’s from RO. I’ve heard David Spade is from Birmingham
    Glenn Frey performed at the Hideout before leaving for CA and Eagles' fame. A couple of times on the same night as Bob Seger.

Tom Sizemore went to Bishop Gallagher and grew up in Detroit, I believe near St. John Hospital. Good actor but at some point, his life style screwed that up.

Wally Cox...went to Denby
    Last edited by Maof; October-14-18 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Tom Sizemore went to Bishop Gallagher and grew up in Detroit, I believe near St. John Hospital. Good actor but at some point, his life style screwed that up.

Wally Cox was in my father's graduating class at Denby. Future Broadway legend Elaine Stritch also lived in the neighborhood, but went to Catholic school. One of the people my father competed against in city school writing contests was George C. Scott, who was across town at Redford High.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post

Actually, Tom Sizemore grew up near Gratiot & 6 mile on Hamburg.

Ricky Nelson briefly lived on Emmons Boulevard in Wyandotte.

I have frequently been surprised by how many recording artists were from Detroit, or had some childhood connection to Detroit. I guess I knew that Bill Haley grew up in Highland Park, but I was more interested to see that Klaus Fluoride of the Dead Kennedys was from Detroit, as was Lene Lovich. M

My favorite working actor from Detroit is JK Simmons, aka J. Jonah Jameson in the Spider-Man movies.

Chad Smith, drummer of Red Hot Chilli Peppers, is from Bloomfield Hills, and attended St. Hugos. His parents still worship there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Chad Smith, drummer of Red Hot Chilli Peppers, is from Bloomfield Hills, and attended St. Hugos. His parents still worship there.
    As well as lead singer Anthony Kiedis...Grand Rapids.

The most unrecognized genius of rock music is from Berkley, and I mean Marshall Crenshaw.

Justin Bartha... [[a.k.a. Riley Poole in the National Treasure movie series), in several other movies, and several TV shows before staring currently in The Good Fight... grew up in West Bloomfield...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; October-15-18 at 12:39 AM.

2-time Tony winner Sutton Foster went to Troy High School.

Tony winner Gregory Jbara [[seen these days playing Garrett on TV's Blue Bloods with his buddy Tom Selleck, also from Detroit) grew up in Westland.

We --- are --- not --- insignificant --- here in Michigan

As discussed in a thread about a month back now, Del Shannon [["Runaway" and a bunch of other hits) lived in Southfield for several years [[he was originally from Grand Rapids though). Late '50s/early '60s rockabilly star Jack Scott was born in Windsor and grew up in Hazel Park.

Anyone with some serious blues knowledge knows that John Lee Hooker started his career in Detroit and recorded many of his most legendary songs here. What many people don't know is that one of the true pioneers of the delta blues, Son House, spent his final years here and is buried at Mt. Hazel Cemetery on Lahser.

The Detroit area punches far above its weight for producing entertainers and media personalities. Three off the top of my head:

-Keegan-Michael Key, from Key and Peele and Mad TV, grew up in Detroit.
    -Cornelius Smith, who was in the cast of the TV show Scandal for the past several season, grew up in Detroit.
    -Loni Love, comedian and host of the daytime talk show The Real, grew up in the Brewster projects.

William Albert Haley was residing at 395 Florence in Highland Park when his son William John Clifton Haley was born on July 6, 1925.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    William Albert Haley was residing at 395 Florence in Highland Park when his son William John Clifton Haley was born on July 6, 1925.

A.K.A.. The Father of Rock And Roll.

Actress Lily Tomlin lived in the Brewster Douglass housing projects, but you probably already knew that.

In terms of public figures, it looks likes Detroit has more than its notorious passing parade of corrupt politicians.
    Last edited by night-timer; October-24-18 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Actress Lily Tomlin lived in the Brewster Douglass housing projects, but you probably already knew that...
    "And that's the truth"

To my eye, she always bore an uncanny facial resemblance to John Travolta and I mean that as a compliment.
    Last edited by Jimaz; October-24-18 at 09:47 PM.

Everyone knows Bob Seger is from Ann Arbor, but if you're ever interested, his house was at 511 Pauline [[looks exactly the same, predictably), not far from the Big House if you ever want to spin by.
    Name:  Seegar].JPG
Views: 2354
Size:  14.9 KB
    went to Pioneer, then Ann Arbor High School.

Also Andrew W.K. went to Community High [[Commie High) in Ann Arbor with my wife. She said he was not a nice person then, but hey, people change...?

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Community High [[Commie High) in Ann Arbor...

That's good. The other one I like is Redford Union High School. R U High?

1) Designed by J. H. Gustav Steffens for Robert Wagner. 18211 Muirland built in 1925 University District, Detroit, MI.
    2) Architect/designer unknown to me. 17500 Fairway build date unknown Detroit Golf Club Subdivision, Detroit, MI.

Well known actor Robert Wagner's parent's built the house 18211 Muirland, he would not live there. His parents moved to 17500 Fairway by the time Wagner was born in 1930.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

This is a great, kind of oddball book:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-in-Det...ewVs:rk:2:pf:0

Note, I'm not trying to sell it and I don't have any interest in it. I had a copy years ago. It has pictures of pretty much every famous person you can think of from the area and then a picture of where they lived. In some cases, the vacant lots where the houses used to be!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast