Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default available light manufacturing space around the downtown area

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for available light manufacturing space around the downtown area. The Russell would have been perfect but that's no longer an option.

After World War II, I think the city planners proposed razing Corktown so
    that the space could be used for light manufacturing.

Hit us with a few more details, are you looking for a building or land? How big? How close to downtown?

I was thinking along the lines of around 1000-2000 sq ft of a shared building as close to downtown as possible. Sort of like they had going on in the Russell Industrial Complex [[giant floor plan subdivided up) before the city shut them down.

This is totally anecdotal and I haven't done any research but I know Kaps bought the old Strohs factory and has done some sort of subdividing of the factory. I have no idea what how much space they use but I know they rent out some of it to the Detroit City Distillery, might be worth checking out

Thanks JonWylie that's the kind of lead I was hoping for.

Packard is listed on loop net as having space available.

I thought the Stroh's plant on Gratiot at Russell was razed. I knew there
    were safety issues at the Russell Industrial Center but I thought they were
    solved. Is that structure now closed? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    I thought the Stroh's plant on Gratiot at Russell was razed. I knew there were safety issues at the Russell Industrial Center but I thought they were solved. Is that structure now closed? Thanks
    I believe they are referring to the former Stroh's ice cream plant. And yes Russell Industrial is running.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzdo View Post
    I was thinking along the lines of around 1000-2000 sq ft of a shared building as close to downtown as possible. Sort of like they had going on in the Russell Industrial Complex [[giant floor plan subdivided up) before the city shut them down.
    https://www.ponyride.org/coworking-space/

To me anyways,doing something like at Russell is kinda of a scary situation,remember when the city first hit them everybody had like 24 hours to vacate.

That is really the last thing a start up or new business needs is to have a short time to relocate,it could be a killer.

There seems to be an abundance of smaller x machine shops etc. for sale or even a lease purchase situation rather cheap and proably a bit more stable.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    After World War II, I think the city planners proposed razing Corktown so
    that the space could be used for light manufacturing.
    And, in fact, they did tear down about half of it for that purpose. Building the West Side Industrial Park from around Porter southward.