Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 11 Mile the next big place to live and party?

Some OC officials seem to think so

"An industrial stretch of 11 Mile Road in southeast Oakland County could be reinvented into one of the region's newest entertainment districts with restaurants, breweries, new housing and retail.

"Oak Park, Berkley and Huntington Woods, which border 11 Mile from Woodward Avenue west to Greenfield, are teaming up to see how rezoning, reducing traffic lanes and becoming an easier place to walk and bicycle could help lure redevelopment to the corridor."

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ad/1510214002/
    Last edited by Detroit Stylin; October-10-18 at 01:25 PM.

Better to build up our inner burbs and core than abandoning them and keep sprawling out and paving paradise.

It is still amazing how the trend toward urbanism has changed in my lifetime!

i've said this before but oak park def has the most potential of oakland cty inner burbs. with some berkley schools access, proximity to woodward, and lower prices it will remain an attractive alternative to roak/ferndale.

between tulare and kipling st there is a mostly solid streetwall with parking behind similar to 9 mile in ferndale. the north side of 11 on those blocks is ripe for 3-4 story mixed-used infill

yay for density!

I moved to 11 and Coolidge in HW almost 10 years ago [[after four years in Lafayette Park). Love the area, raising my kids here and sending them to Berkley Schools which continue to improve its ratings [[now in the top 50 districts in the state just behind Birmingham according to schooldigger.com). Great community environment with year round family events, walking distance from the shops and restaurants in downtown Berkley, 2 miles from the heart of downtown Royal Oak, 3 miles from downtown Ferndale, 5 miles from Somerset and downtown Birmingham, and 15 minutes from downtown Detroit. Walkable neighborhood, street lights, nice parks, good neighbors, etc. Only drawback is high taxes! The improvement of 11 mile will only add to this great area.

I admit I thought of Oak Park as the land of a million three bedroom brick ranches, but there is an interesting mix of houses for sale now. The prices seem low enough, too, for fecund millennials with student loans.

You know "fecund" - as opposed to fertile - millennials with debt.

I'm more concerned about luring folks to potential lively districts in Detroit not steering to 11 mile

I'm more interested in luring people to potential districts in Detroit instead of directing them to 11 mile

work in cbd, raising kids in burbs. as soon as the youngest graduates HS we're dumping the house, pool, yard and going highrise large condo/apt with all the amenities.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jul/26/millennials-moving-suburbs-america-housing-crisis-urban-exodus

https://suburbanjungleinc.com/millennials-suburbs/

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...ic-development
    Last edited by hybridy; October-12-18 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I'm more interested in luring people to potential districts in Detroit instead of directing them to 11 mile
    It's not about "directing" people to 11 Mile; that area is simply more affordable and accessible for the average person. There's more housing stock, auto insurance isn't insane and the area has real grocery stores and basic amenities that Detroit is scrambling to build.

I think a big chunk of the Freep staff must live along Lower Woodward in Oakland, because there's some ridiculous hype article practically every week.

This area is doing fine, and improving, but it was never bad in the first place. It isn't booming, and it isn't urban. Oak Park is ok in the Berkley school district, but most of the city is in OP schools, which are pretty terrible.

HW is great, but taxes are very high. And it was always great. Also not urban. Berkley is quasi-urban in parts, with streetcar suburb look, and some really nice streets off Woodward and just north of 12.

Speaking very generally, the freeway gulch is the border between desirable and not-so-desirable.
    Last edited by Bham1982; October-13-18 at 03:28 PM.

I didn't think HW had high taxes. I do know they took a 30% drop during the housing crisis while other areas still went up. That’s what you get for having a high concentration of lawyers and accountants
    Anyway, I personally think Burton Elementary justifies it. Also, being on top 10 lists of best places to live in Michigan and top 20 in the US doesn’t hurt either.