Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 2018 Images now available on Google Street View

I decided to open up Google Street View in downtown Detroit and I right away noticed that a pretty good chunk of Metro Detroit has been updated with 2018 images. Here's what I've noticed so far:

• Much higher quality than the images from 2017 and earlier
    • Site preparation for the Hudson's Tower underway
    • Operational Little Caesar's Arena
    • Visible drapes inside Michigan Central Station-possible cleanup after this past June's open house celebrating Ford's purchase of the station
    • Corner Ballpark
    • Fast buses in service
    • Operational Amazon Romulus facility and accompanying extension of Vining Road to Ecorse Road
    • Operational Southgate Kroger Marketplace

Of course, not all of Metro Detroit has gotten the higher-quality 2018 images yet.

Before my recent [[brief) return to Detroit, I googled the view of my old home at 13960 Steel. It's holding up, but across the street was a burned hulk of a home and the one next to it half burned. The google view was from 2013. On my visit last month, the hulk and house next to it had not changed one bit.

Five F*****g years, and the city couldn't clean up that mess?

I think I'd be furious were I not heartbroken. On the other hand, Jimmy Carton used to live in that house in the fifties, and he was an asshole, so maybe it's appropriate after all.