Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Councilman Gabe Leland Indicted for Bribery + State Charges Added

Innocent until proven guilty, but it doesn't sound good for Leland.
    "According to the federal grand jury indictment, Leland and the business owner met in May 2017 to discuss the $15,000 payment in exchange for Leland's help in preventing or delaying the city's sale of property the business owner believed he owned.

“I should ask for 30 [[thousand dollars) but I'm nice to you,” Leland said, according to the indictment.

The indictment details several discussions Leland had with the business owner betweenMay and August 2017, including a meeting at the downtown Caucus Club, where Leland acknowledged receiving $7,500 cash.

The business owner was uncomfortable about his dealings with a campaign worker who Leland had sent to pick up the money. According to the indictment, Leland reassured the business owner: “No, but you can f---in' trust me. That's all that matters.”

Robert Carmack, who runs an auto repair shop in Detroit, told the Free Press on Thursday that he is the business owner in the Leland indictment. Carmack sued Leland earlier this year for allegedly demanding the $15,000, which Leland said was for his re-election campaign, according to the suit.
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...cy/1520711002/

Detroit, meey your new city council: Same as the old.

I am one of Mr. Leland's constituents & if he can show that
    he put the pelf into upgrading his ASHTON STREET HOUSE
    [[right near the Southfield Freeway) I would consider voting
    for him again - I had voted for him before - when he first
    started as State Rep he was being bird dogged for smoking
    marijuana if I recall correctly and that was not a deal breaker
    at all. In his last run for City Council he had his Mom telling
    about his family, kind of a sweet piece of campaign literature.
    If he were to run again and his opponents were to
    mail out aggressive negative smear stuff and he was to keep
    sending Mom missives and how he's fixed up his ASHTON
    STREET RESIDENCE I would consider voting for him
    again despite the bribery and Fiore stuff which truly is hideous.
    Last edited by Dumpling; October-06-18 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    ...I would consider voting for him
    again despite the bribery and Fiore stuff which truly is hideous.
    Let's hope he's found innocent, and then you won't have to decide whether a tiny little bribery matters to you.

There were a few years when "scrapping" [[removing building
    materials, fixtures, appliances without authorization) from
    houses was a problem in the area.

At the time, Mr. Leland sided more with metal recyclers who
    did not want regulation to control the scrapping epidemic.

At the time, Ms. Tlaib, who will probably win Mr. Conyers seat
    in U.S. Congress, sided more with regulations for scrapyards to curb
    the scrapping epidemic.

My preference was for Ms. Tlaib's stance as opposed to Mr.
    Leland's stance.

Is the city paying for his legal defense - just asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Is the city paying for his legal defense - just asking?

Just when you thought it was safe to move back to Detroit, Kilpatrick II, the sequel.

Default More Charges Against Gabe Leland

Monroe County* prosecutor charged the Detroit city councilman with misconduct in office.

The felony charge comes a month before Leland was scheduled to go to trial in federal court on three counts of bribery for allegedly demanding $15,000 from Bob Carmack to help the businessman in a dispute with the city.

*Wayne County Prosecutor Worthy cited a conflict of interest in any as the case involves Carmack, who is suing county officials, so the Michigan Attorney General's office assigned the case to Monroe County.

[Steve] Fishman [Leland's attoryn] planned to attack Carmack's credibility. Carmack is currently awaiting trial on allegations that he stole city land and sold it for $1 million. Carmack denies any wrongdoing, and the district court judge who bound the case over for trial in Wayne County Circuit Court did so after questioning the strength of the prosecution's case.

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...dcc838_1343732

another bizarre twist in this saga, which of course is not over yet. there needs to be full transparency in what this means for his legal status on the council. The next official election wouldn't be until next November.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Just when you thought it was safe to move back to Detroit, Kilpatrick II, the sequel.
    This is a joke right? Because a 15,000 dollar bribe is nothing compared to what Kilpatrick did.

Leland is obviously a crooked clown and needs to GTFO, I'm pretty angered that the feds are negotiating with him at all.

Now they need to track down all of the city owned properties that were transferred to offshore corporations during the bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    This is a joke right? Because a 15,000 dollar bribe is nothing compared to what Kilpatrick did.

Leland is obviously a crooked clown and needs to GTFO, I'm pretty angered that the feds are negotiating with him at all.
    Originally Posted by Honky Tonk
    October-07-18, 11:43 AM

Wow, you catch on quickly. $90mil is more than $15k? I was never good at math. The Feds are "probably" offering him some kind of deal, because my guess is, there's more involved than just Leland taking a bribe. They're after bigger fish and want more information.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-19-20 at 08:07 AM.

Was indicted Oct 2018 & only 2-years later is finally charged toward the end of his term. . .hmmm? Two years is a long-long time to fish w/o a catch.

Was indicted Oct 2018 & only 2-years later is finally charged toward the end of his term. . .hmmm? Two years is a long-long time to fish w/o a catch.

Bait maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Bait maybe?
    Something is "fishy", we may never find out the whole truth, typical.

Was indicted Oct 2018 & only 2-years later is finally charged toward the end of his term
    Indicted in '18 of Federal charges and abut to go to court.

Now, also charged with State offenses.

Two different sets of charges by two different systems.